How do I get him to put me his first priority?

My guy whom I've been dating for 2 years now is very stressed lately due to upcoming medical license exam and aside from that, he's worried about his... Show More

wow, sorry for the late update. I'd like to say thank you to all of you for giving me a great perspective. As a woman, it's hard to understand men sometimes and being distant hurt us women all the time. It's been 4 mos and his situation is becoming worse since his allowance is threatened to be cut off. I'm trying to give him my full understanding though sometimes I do feel insecure and needy. I know it's wrong specially during these times. He's distant and wanted space most of the time..

Most Helpful Guy

• I get what you're saying, but it's normal for people who have these exams coming up to be VERY stressed about it, especially those who don't test well and struggle. And with his loans being overdue and other money-related problems like his car, he's going to feel like his world is crashing down around him. Guys are used to being responsible for these things on their own, and used to being able to handle that, but things have gotten bad for him, maybe for the first time in his life, and he feels like he is no longer in control, and it's scary and awful for him. It makes him feel diminished as a man, so he's going to feel like he is worth less as a partner to you too.

All that is going to interfere with his libido and his ability to communicate with you, because he is feeling like he's losing his identity. It's awful, for him and for you.

The best thing you can do is talk to him about it. Let him know that he is far from being alone, and that the economy is making an already-difficult situation that much harder, and tons of people are right where he is at right now. BUT... they will get through it, and so will he. This is a "gut-check" time in his life, and it's going to be tough, but it will make him much stronger in the end, and hopefully will make him appreciate the successes he earns in the future.

Be as understanding as you can, and try not to create too much pressure on him, because that will make things worse. Tell him what you want, and what you want to do for him, and let him know that you are there, waiting for him to be ready, and hopefully he will feel the pressure ease a bit and will be able to respond as you want him to.