Am I being ungrateful?

So basically I just finished high school and I have just gone through a wind-whirl of emotions that have got me thinking. I'm about to start a rant, so here it goes: I never liked my high school. I always thought that I was being unfairly treated and at times bullied (I was judged which made... Show More

Most Helpful Guy

• You're being very typical. Not especially bad or evil or ungrateful.

Your high school experiences and how your opinions fluctuated, are very very typical.

Same for recognising that you've taken things your Mother did for you, for granted. And wanting to improve that. And finding it difficult. It's all very text book.

What you don't know, yet, is that you'll probably go through it with your own daughter. And your mother probably went through it with her mother.

Something else you don't know, is that even if you do have an utterly thankless child, as a parent you can't help but love them anyway.

In other words, you may argue with her, and pull back from time to time, but never doubt that your mother loves you completely even if she can't necessarily show you the affection that you'd like.

• So there isn't anything particular I can do? Do I just have to ride out the journey of adolescence? Will I eventually be able to be close to my mum like my older sister is?

• Yes, you ride out adolescence. We all had to.

The good news for both of you, is that you're trying the make the effort to improve things, befor you even finished your teenage years.

Yes, I have no doubt you'll be as close to your mum as your older sister is. It will just take a little time.

• Thank you