Update on GAG: Tips to Navigating the Site

As you have probably already noticed, there have been some changes to GAG. Many of you have expressed questions regarding the new layout and navigation so here's some tips and information to understand the new changes!

1. How to use the new "Feed"? There is now a single "Feed" which gives you all the customization options you want. It allows you to select what you want to see and be able to create your "own" Feed, the way you want it!

You can find the Feed by clicking/tapping on the "Feed" tab at the top of the screen or by clicking the GirlsAskGuys logo.

Mobile View:

To customize your Feed pick the filters you want to apply:

- Click on gender icons to select only one gender. Selected gender icon will turn to Green. If you want to go back to both genders click on the selected gender icon again.

- Click on "Age" dropdown menu to select Age of the posters.

- Click on "All Posts" dropdown menu to select which posts to show. By default All Posts are shown. These include Questions, promoted myTakes, opinions and opinion comments from users you follow.

Hint: If you want to only see "recent" Questions, select "Questions"

- Click on "buddy" icon to see only posts from Users you follow. The icon will turn green (as in the above screenshot).

- Click on "books" icon to see only posts from Topics you follow. This icon will also turn green when selected.

(If you click on them again, it will de-select them)

- Finally, if you are happy with your selection click on "Remember" to save your filter settings. This way, all your filter selections will be remembered each time you visit your Feed.

On mobile the filter set up is a bit different. You have Gender, Followed User, and Followed Topics filters visible, but to see Post Type (All, Questions, and myTakes) and Age filters you need to tap on the "Filter" icon on the far right:

Mobile View

A drawer will open then letting you to select Age and Post Type filters and giving you the option to "Remember" your full filter setup:

2. How can I see recent Questions or myTakes? There are two ways of viewing recent Questions or myTakes.

The first way is by going to the Feed from the top "Feed" menu and select "Questions" or "myTakes" from the "All Posts" dropdown menu. You can click/tap "Remember" button to save your setting (as explained above).

The other way is to hover over (or tap on mobile) the "Feed" icon at the top of the screen and select "Recent." From this page, you can select "Questions" or "myTakes" from the dropdown box and you will see all of the recent posts.

3. What are Featured posts? You can access Featured posts by selecting "Featured" from the top "Feed" menu. Featured Posts are "Popular" posts that are getting "hot" on GAG.

4. What is the # list? On the top of the screen you'll see a new menu #. This menu lists the most recent popular hashtags that are used in Question and myTake titles and details, that have been used on GAG recently. By clicking on any hashtag in this menu you can access Questions or myTakes using that hashtag in the title or details.

Let us know if you have any questions, opinions, or any feedback. We'd love to hear from you.

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Girls Said 11

• When I went on the Turkish version, as @YourFutureEx spoke about recently, I did like the layout. I'm on my phone so I can't see the desktop version yet but I'm sure I'll like it. Personalising the feed is so much easier now which I like and the hashtag area makes use of the hashtags finally! :) good job!

• Love the update, but I just can't wait for the GAG app to finally be released!

• Maybe I'm doing something wrong but I can no longer see recent posts like "_________ shared an opinion..." all I see is recent questions? help

• Are you using the feed? If you're on the feed and only seeing questions, you may have accidentally changed the settings. If you look at the settings across the top, there should be a drop-down box to the left of the 'buddy' icon where you can select the types of posts you see. There will be three options (all posts, questions, and myTakes). You should select "all posts" which will allow you to see opinions that are posted.

• You should now be able to see everyone's activity in the feed :)

• That's great! thank you

• Really dislike this.

• As long as it doesn't do what it did last night - it temporarily went all Windows 8 on me and was Tumblr style. That was horrible.

• CAN YOU GUYS JUST STOP UPDATING THIS WEBSITE!!! IT was all ready good... Hate that you guys keep changing and changing!! Keep it simple!! No need to update...

Thank youuu @girlsaskguys

• Totally hate it. Congrats.

• What do you not like about it? What do you miss from the earlier version?

• What is one feature you used to use a lot and it's not available now? A shortcut that is missing? Or a link?

• @menguc I don't believe anything is missing, I just loathe the Twitter-like design. There's a reason I don't use Twitter. I don't think the posts needed to be expanded to take up the page like they do when you first load up GaG.

Everyone saw the posts just fine when they were a normal size and in a single column vs multiple columns. Like another user said, it's going to take away from opinions on questions because the mytakes are obnoxiously in your face with photos which distracts.

This website is supposed to be about people asking for advice, not reading articles people write about random things that aren't even relevant to 80% of people.

• Stop the changes! They're not at all improvements.

• When will you have a GAG app?

• yes we have been lagging in this.. but soon, I promise

• I'm glad there's something to help people navigate with the new layout, but shouldn't you guys send out a warning before things like this happen?

• Yes I wish they would have alert us of changes!! Like, Seriously? I feel like they didn't even consider how most gag members would feel!

• GAG should have a option on here where the post info on updates. Besides the myTakes where you have to search for what little info is there.

What Guys Said 27

• Everything sucks. Make it like it was before.

• what are the things that you don't like?

• You can switch to the Feed view by clicking on the GAG logo or clicking on the Feed link at the top... As a logged in user you won't be seeing the homepage that often actually.

• I know, I just like to complain about this stuff.

Have a nice day.

• I actually think this is a really good idea, Sure, you have to click twice to get to the live feed (or just open the link with /live-feed ), but this is a smart update. First, the "popular" feed was removed, and merged into the other feeds, and now the "My Feed" was erased entirely and merged into the Site Feed. It makes perfect sense! I approve. There was no need for multiple feeds. Now I just wish we could bring back the question event type filters, and we'd have everything.

The front page is confusing to me, but that's because I never liked Tumblr either for the same reason. Tumblr fans will love it.

• What do you mean by "question event type filters"?
      Front page is an ongoing process... will get better in the coming days

• @menguc The old filter system where you could decide whether you want to show "commented on", "selected MHO", "shared an opinion", "asked a question", "updated question".

• I dont have a cell, l I use my laptop windows 7

• @GirlsAskGuys

How come we don't go back to the format you posted in this take? I liked it.

The javascript can see if the browser is a mobile or a desktop and display the corresponding version of the site. You shouldn't have to combine them.

• I like it. It helped me to use GAG more easier.

• It resets the settings automatically when I use my iPhone or mac. No matter how many times I change it, you guys still post crap on my page about where to shop for dad or how to maintain shiny hair. Site is on a large hill, starting to roll down.

• It's awesome guys but an application will turn all of this into more fun experience
    An application for GirlsAskGuys will rock the Internet :D

• On my ipad the topics link is DEAD. LIFELESS. RIP.

• We'll have to try it out but I love the new "feed" concept, the flexibility is ideal. We can filter for what we like...
    And for moderation the "recent" option will be ideal since recent posts are those that are most likely to not yet have been spotted by a mod if they don't meet the posting guidelines.
    First impression is: good job :D :D !

• Bring back chat. Yes, 90% of it was worthless blather, but it added immediacy to connecting with other people.

• This is only only update I've been confused on how to navigate. I wondered if there's an interface problem to where I'm missing options until I read this take. Before when I would use the live feed about 2 to maybe 4 minutes of posts would fill up to where new posts would be added from scrolling down. Now if I scroll down to where more posts are added those posts have been about 45 minutes old. Is there really 15 times less posting lately? It feels like there is activity going on that I can't see. The site feels barren to me.

Also I think only being able to filter my takes in a live feed way on mobile is worse than being about to see a directory of my takes.

I doubt #'s will be used in a serious way. I guess the point of #'s is for gathering site clicks though.

• Yeah, can we go back to when it was simple and easy to use? You really don't need to fix something that isn't broken. That just breaks it. As is evident from this last update.

• Why the hell was it necessary to do this update?

• I wish they would get rid of that orange bar that flashes at the top it slows things down on mobile and desktop.

• Terrible on mobile. Yeah it looks slick, but now it also fits less questions on the page, meaning more scrolling. Bleh.

• I open the new site and my phone freezes...

• Thank You for Sharing :)

• The new site is slow. The real problem for me re the ads that cover content... the video ads that float over navigation panes and cannot be paused, and the ads that freeze the site in y browser at times.

• You just fucked up totally GAG if you know 1% of design you'll know why. I'm out

This is shi* for sure. If you know anything about UI/UX. http://puu.sh/incFE/6ffb11ba53.jpg

Why? Simple because you don't even know where to look. Page is way too crowded and it was better like it was + when you look at first you'll see MyTakes (eyes will look into pictures) so that also means less opinions.

You screwed this. It's really bad.

• i'm a grown species I don't need to be spoon fed.

• More from Guys
    7