Tips On Improving Your myTakes!

So I recently became an editor here on GAG, and to be honest I'm excited. I love writing myTakes, and I decided I should write a myTake on ways for others to improve their myTakes (unless you already do all of this, in which case this myTake does nothing for you). So here's some small tips to improve your myTakes!

1. Grammar

Tips On Improving Your myTakes!

One thing I notice with a lot of myTakes is the grammar. The myTake can be fabulous, in fact it can be one of the most brilliant ideas for a myTake I've ever seen! But the one thing that can make or break it for me is grammar errors. It could just be me, but I feel like when the grammar is correct it's cleaner, and more professional looking.

2. Pick A Topic You're Passionate About

If you pick a topic you're passionate about, then it's a lot easier! Trust me, there's tons of myTakes that I started writing but threw away due to the fact I had no inspiration or motivation for that subject.

3. Use Photos

Now you don't have to be like me and use a photo for almost every point, but using as many photos as you possibly can makes the myTake so much better and more complete! Just make sure the photo is relevant and you can easily understand how it connects to the myTake.

4. Length

One thing that's troubling while making a myTake is the length of it. You don't really know what's too short. I actually think the longer the better, but I know a lot of people don't like to read myTakes that are too long. If it's a list you're making, then you can honestly have anywhere from 5-40 things on that list. It really depends on the take. If it's just a blog or something else, then it mostly depends on how much you need to say. If you have several unrelated topics in your myTake and it's starting to drift away from the point of the myTake, delete those parts! Back to point one- reread it to be sure!

5. Take Notes

There are some myTakes you will make that you won't be able to remember everything you need to get down. I know several other editors on GAG take notes on what they're going to put in their myTake. I've done this a few times just by writing the information in an app on my iPad. It may seem pointless, but it'll make your myTake run a lot smoother than simply relying on memory.

6. Read Other myTakes!

One thing that really inspired me to make more myTakes was seeing other people's. Comment on them and give them positive feedback! Tell them (nicely) what they could do to improve on their myTakes, and hey you might pick up a few friends on the way. Reading other myTakes, especially ones form more experienced GAGers, will help you understand what it's like to be the reader of a myTake. It'll help you learn how to grasp the attention and keep them interested. Also it'll give you a good idea of how myTakes work.

7. Do Your Research

Making a myTake can require a large amount of research. I don't know if I've ever made a myTake without having to Google something. Actually that's not true, but most myTakes require some sort of research, and if there's something you don't know JUST LOOK IT UP. Don't pretend to know what you're talking about, because if you're wrong the myTake will probably turn out terribly.

8. Don't Overuse Things

This kind of goes for just writing in general, but don't use the same word or phrase a million times. Don't worry if you do this, because this is a terrible habit I have also. In fact I decided to add this one after correcting myself from using the word "honestly" seventy times above.

9. There Will Be Haters

I'm not going to sugarcoat it- there WILL be haters. Almost every editor or pretty much anyone who has made a myTake knows that people can be jerks. But don't let them get you down! And if you are a hater stop it! People put a lot of time into making these myTakes and if you don't enjoy them, that's fine, but seriously just shut up if you can't say anything nice.

Anyways that was just a few pointers for anyone who wants to improve their myTakes! Thanks for reading, and I hope you enjoyed! Don't forget to tell me what I should do next!

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Guys Said 12

• One thing you might come to learn that I've just fully accepted/realized is that it helps to know what your audience is interested in/disinterested in talking about. Some topics are just a little to academic to provoke much interest. Also, writing controversy has the opposite effect. It gets you a lot of attention but there's always fighting going on in the comments section, which, for me, is just as bad as a take without much feedback.

Honestly, I would say figure out what it is that you want... what inspires you to write my takes. For me, it's actually helping people... mostly other guys. ( I feel like advice is kind of like fashion... guys get it too but it's not nearly as good or deep.) Now that I realize this, I want to dedicate a lot more time to writing purely positive/helpful takes that also have a lot of what works for me wrapped into it since I can know for sure it works. For writers who want to spark discussion... write for controversy. For writers, who want to be featured... write long takes with good grammar. For writers who just want to church out a huge amount of content... write short takes that get to the point, but also mean something to you since writing can be boring if you don't actually care what you're writing about, which will slow you down in the long run.

Oh, and great tips and great idea for a Take!

• If you have haters, you know you're doing something right in life

• So common sense and what you learned in grade school and high school basically lol.

• one of da smartet and most educated <18 users here :D

wish i was like u :(

• nice points.

• Yeah I never even read the whole thing if the grammar and sentence structure sucks donkey balls.

• On it 📔 got my book to take notes

• None of this tips mean anything, you have to be PC and nothing else. Facts mean nothing.

• I noticed that sometimes you'll run across a mytake that is plagiarized from professionally written self-help, PUA, dating coach, and health articles from somewhere else.

• #1. Can't do that. Pity :(
    #2. I can't even read a thing I'm not passionate about. :)
    #3. I used a total of 27 photos in one of myTake :D
    #4. Honestly, the shorter, the better. In this world of xper, people love shorter ones. I always get criticism because of my long myTakes.
    #5. I follow this :)
    #6. Shhh.. I do this too.
    #7. Mandatory.
    #8. Honestly, you are being honest there and honestly, people shouldn't honestly use the same word again and again to be honest. Oh wait!
    #9. Ignorant* Jealous* Xper Hunters*

• I know the "haters gonna hate" all too well. Yet, I find that if I source my stuff too well, they simply ignore my thread and leave it to die from underexposure. And if I don't source it, they don't bother to research themselves. They instead lecture me about needing to provide a source. Even if the source is five months old and the article has been pulled from whoever provided it. To say nothing of the trouble if fishing through the Facebook Timeline system to find the old thread in the first place.

• Most important tip for any take or question: look up the word brevity.

What Girls Said 12

• Coming from a Non- English speaking background, I speak 4 languages fluently. Sometimes, I miss a comma here or there, make a typo and make mistakes. I hate it when arseholes criticize me regarding this.

I try my best to make my comments as academic as possible, but when I am in a rush, then it really isn't a priority.

• Yes I understand that. Or if it's just an opinion to a question it doesn't really matter. As long as you try your best :)

• Another tip for anything to do with creativity and haters.

Expect people to hate your work. If you expect people to hate it, it makes the haters less powerful, and the support so much sweeter.

• I was going to write a take similar to this. Thanks for the tips. :)

• Good tips. :) though I think I get a bit of a kick out of poorly written or improperly researched myTakes just to watch the Take Owner get roasted. ;)

• This is actually pretty great!

Good job!

• You're most definitely right about the last one.
    Haters are gone hate !
    You can't make a take every one agrees with that's impossible ! :)

• this is awesome :)

• I'm really bored with takes that says:

The importance of
    Benefits of being or using...
    What does it mean to be yourself... (that's not a take, it's a copeout)

• Its a good article and you're first point is very true. Their just lazy writers.

(Jeez, leaving the words like that is painful. I want to edit those sentences so badly!)

• So true.
    Good take :)

• You forgot to add write something of substance lol. I see too many My Takes that are pointless.

• Also people need to stop using MyTakes to make lists and ask questions like who is your favorite character in a tv show. That is what questions with polls are for.

• i honestly believe that the way you treat others is the way you treat yourself so whatever you get what you deserve everyday just being you...

• I never made a mytake but I'm thinking about it