My thoughts on the Oregon shooting

I am sure everybody heard about the tragic shooting that took place yesterday morning in an Oregon Community college. 10 people are dead, about a dozen are injured, and hundreds of people had their lives changed for the worse. This has opened up again the gun-control debate, just like a few months ago with the Charleston shooting, or before that during the Aurora or Sandy Hook massacres. However, there is an issue that hasn't been discussed: media attention and its influence. I, along with many others, have noticed a pattern in many of the shooters.

1. They were usually outcasts or bullied, leading to depression and desperation.

2. Anger brews inside of them and they start becoming erratic.

3. THEY ACT ON THEIR ANGER IN A WAY THAT DRAWS ATTENTION(in the worst way possible.)

Think about it, why didn't Elliot Rodgers, Adam Lanza, Eric Harris, Dylan Klebold, or yesterday's shooter commit suicide, but rather killed innocent people? Because of attention. If they had just commited suicide in their mind they feel they would just go down as another young person who took his own life, maybe get a few days of attention from people who know them, then that would be it. In their twisted mind, the killing was their way of getting their "15 minutes of fame".

This is the video Elliot Rodgers posted before his rampage. He fits my example above. 1. He feels like an outcast and is sexually frustrated, as a result he is growing depressed. 2. He is obviously angry, wants to exact revenge on the girls who rejected him. He can be seen in this video acting erratically, as well as his last videos(he had a youtube channel, his first videos were actually relatively normal, however, as time went on it was evident his mental health was deteriorating. 3. Everything he did was meant to draw people's attention.

Normal people wouldn't announce he is about to do something illegal. He, on the other hand, posted about it hours before the event, detailed his plan, knowing the rampage would buy him infamy. Another factor to notice is that after murdering his roommates, he went to the sorority house and shot at 3 girls who were walking by, only one survived. The survivor said they not know Elliot. Another male student was killed when Elliot was shooting at people randomly on the street. My point being, Rodgers wasn't trying to exact revenge against a specific person for something that they did to him. In his twisted mind, he was going to prove he was "The alpha male"(as he says in the video) by going on the rampage, and he saw the people as "animals" to slaughter. If those students had been sick and stayed home someone else would have died.

In a similar fashion, I read the Oregon shooter posted on 4chan about wanting to do the shooting, obviously getting the people who read it engaged(some criticizing him, while others egging him on, unaware of everything.) I feel that as a society we need to giving those killers the media coverage a celebrity would get. Think about it: Most people probably don't know the name of the Charleston victims, or the UCSB victims, or the teacher who got shot by Adam Lanza while trying to hide her kids during the shooting. However, we hear so much about Dylan Roof, Adam Lanza and the such. I don't think it is too far fetched to think that if we would let the killers banish and be forgotten(obviously know what went down for psychiatric studies purposes and to prevent future incidents), while remembering the victims and giving attention to people like the vet who jumped at the Oregon shooter yesterday, we would take away a huge incentive for would be shooters.

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Girls Said 6

• I actually have no heard about it. XD

I agree most of those did scream attention. Sadly we gave it to them. :(

• Mental illness is the problem and societies ignorance on it Most of us don't know what constitutes as a mental illness and what are signs. if People where more educated and capable to get help these things wouldn't happen as often. Guns don't pull their own trigger, humans do

• What a fuckwit. He kills all these people because he can't get laid?

• He obviously had severe issues beyond that, such as blaming everyone else for his problems.

• Read Breitbart. He killed them because they were CHRISTIAN.

• I saw the news about the Oregon school shooting that was sad 😔

• Just like the columbine shooting he targeted Christians and other shit. Idgaf if he's "bullied" he was crazy and on drugs

• Yes, and the media's reaction to him targeting Christians is... interesting.

Had he targeted Muslims, the media would be all over that.
      Had he targeted women, the media would be all over that.
      Had he targeted any minority race, the media would be all over that.

And yet the media is deathly silent about his targeting Christians.

For the record, I am an agnostic.

• @Bluemax I really am confused now 😑

• @Bluemax - Since I was hearing it every few minutes throughout the afternoon, they had to say it every few minutes, which is all over it regardless of how many times you heard it. And the point still stands that he may actually not have done that.

• Mostly white people

• heard about the shooter that killed the reporter on air... probably not but he happened to be black
      or what about black on black crime? www.politifact.com/.../

• @CapricornSwagL Why does you frantically trying to prove to me that you're not retarded, mean I don't know anything and that I'm making things up to make myself feel better (FYI, it's you who did that). I'm not making it up that you're trying to convince me you're smart. Exhibit A: "Dude I GET A's so it's not pretending.".

I'm the retard? LOL. Whatever helps you sleep at night.

• @chuppachup Dude you're doing that. And unlike you I don't TRY tobring someone down to make myself better. I'm already that and I build women up

What Guys Said 20

• Also most of these shootings happened within states that have some of the strictest gun controls out there.

• Elliot Rodgers was a nerd who used to get bullied in school and was frustrated just like 95% of dudes on here lmao

• Stupid mortal peasant, the idiot needed to learn how to deal with anger.

• @cinderelli @missnowhere @idkwtftoputhere if y'all cuties dont gimme all ur LUV and affections, ima KILL u all!!! 👿

• These were my exact thoughts.

• Heard about it a while ago, saw the vids, read the articles. Can't say anything meaningful, just at a loss for words. Condolences for Roger's family and the families whose children he killed.

• To be honest, both suicide and homicide of this nature is for attention. Whether the media gets involved or not won't change it. Both forms of behaviour are ways to make people know of their pain. tell you one thing, it's Te first time I saw this video and it's creepy considering that it actually happened. He was a mad God for those last hours of his life.

• I read somewhere that like 90 percent of these mass shootings involved antidepressants with the shooter, either experiencing withdrawal, or having to side effect of increased violent behavior. Mental health is the core of the problem, not guns.

• Don't give the POS shooters the attention they want. Some media outlets will focus almost their entire coverage on he killer and his motives.

Also, almost all were mentally ill. I'm working on a mytake for this but while I support the 2nd amendment, permit requirements and mental health background checks need to be added to the requirements to purchase a firearm. Also, states need to submit their firearm sales data to the federal level so we can see when someone makes a lot of suspicious purchases (like high capacity magazines, body armor, and loads of ammunition all in a short time). That will let normal citizens keep their firearms and the crazies not being able to buy them.

• can somebody PLEASE explain to me how no action was taken against this guy when he posted the video on the internet?

• By the time word got around it was too late, I read (I don't know how accurate it is) that someone in his family actually was worried looking at some of his videos near the end and contacted the police to tell them he was concerned about Elliot being dangerous. The video above, however, was only uploaded an hour before he started the shooting and after he ha stabbed his roommates. Multiple people reported the video, but the shooting was already over with before the video even gained notoriety. After the investigation started and they had a positive ID on Rodgers, that's when they noticed the video.

• It was posted shortly before he acted. His parents tried to get in touch with him and the local authorities but it was too late.

• people dont want to believe that this is a double sided coin. he's just a dog that got beat so many times it turned rabid. people want to put him down and say god what a monster, but ignore that he's a product of his environment which honestly i would say is 10x more fucked in the head than he is. at least he had the balls to address it head on and not to subvert it into something more insidious

this is the world that elects a monster like donald trump president but is going to act all shocked when one of his victims loses house and home and shoots up a mall somewhere like its not justified. of course its justified, they're just misplacing the roots of their anger. the bottom line is they should be shooting someone for it but it shouldn't be the people they chose to shoot.
    imagine how much more justified he'd be if he saved his bullets for these monsters:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOCD_T9Qqpc
    he wouldn't be such a monster himself

a lot of times its just a lot of anger at an idea they dont know how to properly fight so they just take it out on the people that remotely resemble that idea. in his case it was a sorority, which honestly, due to the kind of hazing and nepotism that goes on in places like that probably deserved to have their ass kicked, but murdered? probably not. but its not like he has a nonviolent way to fight the kinds of personality traits that he has a problem with in the first place

• When is America going to understand that it isn't about the guns?

• why do Americans insist on being able to buy and carry guns, there should be strict laws in place to prevent this, its not the wild west anymore

• So if that guy at Sandy Hook had gone to the school with a machete, who would have stopped him? The 6 year olds? The 90 lb teacher? Guns make such actions convenient but they aren't necessary. The guy at UCSB killed his first three victims with a knife, and could have killed as many with his car as he did with his gun.

• People don't like heroes. It is villains that attract them. Villains stir trouble. They get a rise out of people. This is what the media wants. Why the fuck would they change that?

• I don't think that will change, which is the sad part. Unfortunately many times the news are more worried about their income statement than their influence on society.

• Yeah man. That's what they want. That's business. Getting more traffic coming to you. Someone saves a someone from getting killed by a car people may say "Meh." Someone goes on a shooting rampage "Oh. Interesting." Violence, sex, drugs all these things attract us. It's sad, but true. Sex does sell. Drugs do sell. Violence do sell. We sit outside octagons and boxing rings watching. Prostitution is just as strong as it always has been. Only reason the porn industry is suffering some is because so many people watch porn for free now. Commercials get more attention when it's a hot girl or guy advertising it. I'm glued to my TV when I see Jennifer Gardner advertising Capital One. Drugs sell. Doctors subscribe them more than ever now. People have access to it so easily now. Yeah it's sad.

• I used to wonder if I was an asshole. If I was a potential monster. I always felt sympathy with these killers.

The worst day of my life has happened like five times already. I've done bad things. And I immediately felt guilty and apologized. So I kinda know now that I couldn't do a school shooting.

But it's a mere sentimentality that prevents me.

• and sadly, i found out that the Oregon shooter, Chris-Harper Mercer, investigators discovered he revealed on a blog post, although he did not use it as his motive for the killing, that he was 26 and had never had a girlfriend.

• 1. Liberal white background
    2. Taught to hate Christians, whom most of them specifically targeted in their attacks.
    3. Guns were usually acquired off the black market.
    4. Harris and Klebold weren't "bullied" for being "different." They were bullies. On drugs. Reading Nazi literature.
    5. Most of those shooters were on drugs.
    6. The Oregon shooter asked victims what their religious leanings were, before shooting them, just like Harris and Klebold. In a state that led the nation in acting like sexual degenerates have more rights than religious folk, and in reducing the religious to second-class citizens.
    7. ThinkProgress' epic fail was they pointed out that universities can't be designated as gun-free zones in Oregon, rendering students defenseless. The shooting was at a community college, which is exempt from Oregon's prohibition on gun-free university campuses. Therefore, students were defenseless.

• This would work in a world that is completely orderly and can be controlled. Truth is, the world is the wild west and so many things can go wrong even with all types of security measures tajen. All it takes is one crazy person with a great plan and boom, its back to the drawing boards when talking about security. People and especially congress think they are on a different planet where bad things can't happen if they just make enough security protocals. Sorry to be that guy, but this is the world we live in. We should make security plans and different protocals but in the same time understand that they help a lot but nothing is ever 100 percent safe.

• Very intelligent post. I like how you took a reasonable approach, not attacking people's right to own guns, but rather the media giving mass shooters exactly what they want, ie attention. The Eliot Rodgers video was horrifying, I hadn't seen it yet.

• I think people get focused on the wrong thing when they turn on guns after these shootings. we need to focus on the mental problems that cause these tragedies. like the one in Oregon, it was a gun free zone, and even the one security guard at the school didn't have a gun. if we let students and teachers arm themselves so they can defend themselves it would help a lot.

• As long as nobody blames people with mental disorders/illnesses. If people just start saying that's the cause. For the ones that aren't stupid enough to pull that kind of act. People are going to fear them and think they will just go on some kind of rampage if they get mad.

• @jakeofalltrades statistically it won't.
      Guns don't kill people, that's true, but they make it hella lot easier to kill people more efficiently.
      And do you really think you'd see less shootings? Wouldn't you have bully victims shooting in "self defence", accidental discharging of firearms...
      No, bad idea to give guns to the random teenager. It's a recipee for disaster.

Have somethign avaiable for the teachers and the officer COULD work if they're trained for it. But i stil feel a serious rework of the gun laws would help more. Just look at norway's statistics. 33 guns per 100 person (usa got 88), yet you're more than 1000 times more likely to be shot in the states.

Which brings up the question of "is the background check thorrough enough, and is it easy enough to loose your guns in the US"? Over here it's enough i don't follow the laws of how to store them, and the police can take the guns. Yeah, all of them. Oh, and public carry is banned to hell and back here. Just saying

• @dartmaul15 I wasn't talking about just handing them out at the door. if they want a gun they have to thorough the regular stuff and well as train so they know how to use them safely. I do agree that we need tougher back ground checks.