The Trolls Have Won The Day

The Trolls Have Won The Day

My fellow GaGers,

It was with a heavy heart that i discovered the trolls had won the day. A feature of the site taken off for the single purpose of it hurt others has been brought back simply to do just that--continue to hurt and harm. Many older people have already accused our generation of being too soft and self centered. Of needing the world to treat us like we're special and not being able to cope with life's bruises and the simple fact that not everyone likes us. Yet, while this is sometimes true, I would argue that we as a generation can see a brighter future--where the internet is not a place to be feared or to complain about.

The internet as a utopia of sorts--a place where people can get away from the negativity of daily life and write and connect with others in a space where mutual kindness and respect are adhered to. Where people tend to be the types who would hold the door for others, ask them what's wrong if they seemed down, defend a perfect stranger who they felt was being unfairly bullied. A place where negative minded people who want to spread their negative feelings by being as cruel to others as they are to themselves on the inside would have no interest in being a part of. Where likeminded and different minded individuals could enjoy one another not only in ideas but in socializing aspects as well.

But, of course, the trolls would like their own version of a utopia, which to us would appear as a dystopia--a place where everyone insults everyone, where people have group chats on kik and Skype to gossip and talk about who they do and don't like on the site. to be able to troll a person from take to take opinion to opinion in hopes of making them feel so low they leave the site. Of disagreeing with takes they haven't even read because it's more fun to disagree than to agree. They want the drama, they get on the site for the drama, they get on the site to be negative, they get on the site to hurt feelings. They take pride in not giving a **** To them, it shows power, strength, and autonomy rather than transparent compensating for self percieved insecurities that the rest of us see it as. It is not a coincidence, that certain people on this site are all on very good terms with one another, --this is a place for them to be the dominant ones, they believe. They don't really hate those people in their daily lives who make them feel awful, no, they want to be them.

That is what you get when you give someone who usually has no power to speak their minds or get away with any behavior they want some power--they act like they've secretly wanted to act their entire lives. It's pent up aggression, it's pent up frustration, it's a pent up desire to finally be the oppressors themselves. And so many so called uber mods have, through careful reporting and bonding with those who make such decisions, have attained such a fantasy state for themselves. But, at what cost GaG? At what cost does making this site a haven for the social rejects of life have on those of who honestly come because this site represents a fun place to talk with smart people about dating and relationships etc?

At what cost?

The day is the lost, friends.

And we deserved better.

-pavlove

#wedeservebetter #haterswon #murderbytroll

pavlove is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Girls Said 5

• Now, if only I could downvote this article :P

• I've gotten used to it not being here actually as many people have. Yeah, it bothered me at first, but not anymore. It goes to show that g@g is listening to it's users because many people, girls and guys have made a ruckus to get the features back in the site implemented.

But it was cool to see what happened when it wasn't here.

• Yeah it didn't make that much of a difference, it still kept trolls posting and people starting troll arguments.

• "The internet as a utopia of sorts--a place where people can get away from the negativity of daily life and write and connect with others in a space where mutual kindness and respect are adhered to. Where people tend to be the types who would hold the door for others, ask them what's wrong if they seemed down, defend a perfect stranger who they felt was being unfairly bullied. "

But well, the internet was not created to be the haven for people. What are you, X men?
    You can read a book, go to church (if you're religious), find a job, a new hobby... you don't need to hide on the internet to get away from all the boogie monsters out there.

You talk like you're the new generation of hippies.
    Frankly, the kindness, consideration and politeness you describe and seem to seek on here, are rarely practiced by the youngest generation themselves.
    Most youngsters today only care about themselves and nothing else. They're not kind and polite, they just don't care enough if you're bicurious or a yellow flamingo, or about how things came to be. Anything is 'cool', and that means it's a hassle when someone actually disagrees with you.

Conversely, you also make it sound like the poor young utopians are being unfairly bullied only by people from older generations and trolls, which probably isn't so to begin with.

• you avoid the issue by trying to insult me by calling me a hippie. you haven't given any real reason what would be so wrong with having a haven on the internet besides the fact that that's not how real life works which i already addressed in the take itself.

basically, you have no reason not to like it besides the fact that you aren't familiar with it. you think needless insults are the way it's supposed to be whereas i say the way it's supposed to be is however we make it. I believe in human potentiality to create what online environment we want, you believe in accepting and even embracing what you're given and what's forced upon you because, again, "that's just the way things are."

• Trolls and social rejects are people too.
    #trolllivesmatter

• @blondfrog Hey did you get the memo? Apparently you can troll again ^_^

Now I want to know what does bringing back the down vote have to do with trolls? Trolls can troll with or without it simply saying you disagree with someone's opinion isn't trolling much to begin with. That's not stopping them from asking pointless/idiotic questions, it's not stopping them from leaving stupid comments, it's not stopping them from posting memes and gifs. Pleanty if not all of us used the down vote button because we simply believed that someone's opinion deserved it whether it was nonsense, racist, disargreement, etc so so what if a few people presse dot pointlessly who cares? The people that left their opinion still stand by their statement regardless of how many down votes or people disagree with them...

I mean honestly -_-
    http://cdn.meme.am/instances/62676686.jpg

• And report me if you must I stand by my statement.

• @YourFutureEx
      Yeah I know it's real I'm not going to deprive the QA of that/deny it but all I'm saying is...

1. That's not the only reason you get down voted
      2. Why let it bother you

Like seriously? But apparetly now apparently I a negative person and like to judge others... Which isn't true butif it was well this site does ask for other opinions even if they are negative. But honesty I simply don't care he can think what he wants... See how that works? 😉 (Not directed at you)

• Haha yeah xD I think right now, he wants to downvote every single opinion in favour of downvotes.

What Guys Said 12

• I recently posted a poll regarding the recent changes made by G@G and the disapproval rate was over 90%.

• I came here thinking there'd be something about fallout.

• If you can't handle a down vote, a soft sign of disagreement with your opinion, then perhaps a padded room or kindergarten is more your speed.

This just sounds like projection to me.
    " At what cost does making this site a haven for the social rejects of life have on those of who honestly come because this site represents a fun place to talk with smart people about dating and relationships "

• I don't think that trolls downvote, I'm a troll and am most likely going ot be heavily down-votes.

Trolls don't always win, that would make them the status quo as opposed to the dissenters of it.

• What, downvotes means trolls have won? People need a thicker skin to survive in this world, and it doesn't need to be that thick to cope with the understanding that not everyone will agree with you.

• people say that others need thicker skin. That's not a reason to intentionally be an ahole to people or to not create the best environment possible. It's like private school vs public school... private schools create really nice learning environments which might not be realistic but the kids generally end up smarter and more well versed than kids who grow up "in the realistic world."

• yes because it's often the weak and afraid who hide behind the downvote button. You know what... i think that is a big part of it. the fact that it's anonymous so much so you can't even reply to them...

• You also don't know why they downvoted you. If your imagination runs away and imagines them to all be haters, that's down to your (mis) interpretation.

• I declare myself emperor of gag.

• Where did people get this idea that the internet is supposed to be this "safe space"? The internet is made to connect people together, yes, but who dictates that there must only be kind interactions? I'm afraid we simply don't live in a world where everyone is kind and affectionate to each other, so how you can you expect the internet to be different?

• because we built it?

• This is a social media outlet. It's literally all about chatting and making comments, Hearthstone is a video game; Two different ways in which we connect via the internet.

I don't know if you have noticed but there is still negative opinions. The down-vote feature being removed has not made that much of a significant impact. It sounds like you are just butt-hurt over being down-voted, to be blunt.

• From south park :D

• I'm glad it's coming back. Of course i've never downvoted people, only opinions, and i've always interpreted other downvotes the same way.

• then you're right maybe 70% of the time

• I'm aware that downvoting of people happens, i just try to ignore it, though for people who are being attacked by it, i'm sympathetic.

• You mean downvotes?
    static.fjcdn.com/gifs/Magnet_c03678_2450049.gif
    Man, have a thick skin. Does it hurt that much to have your opinions downvoted?

• it's not just about me but sure since that's what seems to be more interesting to people--i'd much rather not have my stuff hated on or even liked. it too easily becomes a matter of "herd mentality" people want to jump on the bandwagon of what most people are saying... this site should be smarter than that but apparently it's not.

• I think your initial statement meant "I'd not like my stuff to be hated without any reason" because that's what trolling is.

If your stuff is loved or even hated for a reason, that'd be good for you because it'll make you learn from your mistakes and make you a better person.

• And for the rest of the community, everyone seems so happy about it.

• what are you talking about?

• What's been taken off?

• they're bringing back downvotes because a bunch of girls whined about it incessantly

• And well, I'm kinda guilty too cause I think I might have implied that they'd be a good idea at some point...

• if there's no downvote the trolls get bored and leave...

it's ok we've all been there haha

• I LIKE THIS MYTAKE