I Feel A Lot Better. Thanks GAG

When my therapist told me to spend some time on a website like this, it didn't make any sense. I mean, why the would a medical professional just tell me to fuck around on the Internet and expect me to feel better?

What I didn't realize was that he was actually being a sneaky bastard. For weeks he'd ask me how I felt about things in my life, in other people's lives, and in the world in general. My response? I honestly didn't give a fuck.

So after he got tired of my "nihilism" as he called it, he said I had to pick a Q&A website and spend at least 20 minutes a day online. There was quora, ask, yahoo, and some others, but I chose GAG for some reason.

I figured out that it was easier to ask and answer questions with a keypad instead of in person. Not only was it easier, It felt good. In fact, the best feeling was reading a comment that was full of racism, or sexism, or other kinds of stupid and making it clear that they were wrong.

It was like voicing my opinions flipped a switch somewhere in my head. suddenly I realized "Hey, I actually do give a shit about some things."

So then I went back to the therapist the next week. Instead of him talking and me listening, WE started talking and over the course of 3 hrs he was able to drag out all the pain and suffering that I had piled into the back of my mind for more than a decade.

It felt like knives in my chest the whole fuckin time, but I was ready to start dealing with it because I had been opened up to thinking about stuff and it help me realize that I had things I still wanted to know and more than anything, things I want to fix.

I still have a long way to go, but I just want to thank this website for being the resource of an clever, caring, eccentric asshole with a combover.

I feel a lot better. Thanks GaG

Peace out guys, and share your feelings😊

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Guys Said 16

• Yes, I agree. You don't get professional advice here that much, but just being able to air your opinions freely is a healthy outlet for a lot of frustration. Good luck to you.

• Alright but not everyone on gag is bad lol sheesh and plus havne't you ever heard of trolls?

• It is pretty heartwarming to read something like this. It's awesome that our little community helped you in this way. Glad to hear you're all better now.

Happy browsing. :)

• I love you

• I am glad you found the site a great help. This is a new account for me but I was about a year on my old account. I was surprised myself in how helpful I found the site and I really enjoyed my time on the site. I found it helped me developed as a person too.

• Yep
    This place is awesome 💁

• Wise man xD. Yeah, knowing how other peoples think only makes us richer and help us define what is wrong and less wrong. Nice you are recovering.

• The problem is the questions that you actually want answered never get answered. While the trolls and the sexual ones usually do.

• And now I need to see a therapist from all the changes they're making on this site.

• I vent on here it helps, thanks for your take

• I'm glad GAG helped you.

• If only the reason I used GAG for was a real one like yours!

• Well, its good to hear such a story.
    And I 'd liek to share mine;
    This site makes me feel good in some ways too <3

• The internet made someone feel good about themselves? Somebody call the top guys at Google, Apple, and Microsoft and get them over here. I think this thing is broken.

• I am glad this site was able to help you and is helping you discover more about yourself. I hope you continue to improve and keep feeling better :)

• Rock on!!

What Girls Said 8

• I'm glad this site helped you !

• that's kinda neat

• Gag: keeping people and trolls alive since 2008

• I feel the same way as you, some times I feel like I don't give a f then I come on this website and read what people write and I realize I do give a f about life and things and that's why my feelings and my purpose is still alive. thanks for this. I feel the same.

• I'm really happy this website has helped you in ways other people couldn't. It's certainly refreshing to hear of the good a place like this and the people in it could do for you. It's also really nice how gag was able to teach you a few things about yourself as well. Your story is awesome, good luck with finishing this chapter! :)

• Yeah, I had something like three "wow, you wrote _____ and it really made a difference in my life" PM's within about 24 hours of joining this site.
    ... which was the main reason why I stayed on for longer than 24 hours (I was mostly just killing time while stuck in the hospital with some relatives over the holidays).

The internet is not all hate. Far from it.

• i should try this myself. thanks

• Thats great! 😊😀Stay with us now!