Just show, don’t tell

Just show, don’t tell

In writing, there’s an old adage that says “Show, don’t tell”. It means that you should get the reader to experience the story through action instead of relying on simple exposition.

That was our focus with this latest release. Instead of writing a long text to explain some of the changes we made, you’ll be able to see and experience it using GirlsAskGuys.

Here are the highlights of what we deployed earlier today:

Either/or

As some of you pointed out over the past few weeks, allowing private opinion owners to remain anonymous was posing an unnecessary risk to the community and its members.

This is why, from now on, opinions can be either anonymous or private, never both at the same time. It’s only fair that it works both ways and this is why anonymous questions can’t get private opinions.

You can also make sure you never get private opinions on a regular question anymore, just like you could decide not to receive anonymous opinions.

A small step

We also introduced a new “Manage your Questions” step to make sure you won’t get frustrated by typing in a new question only to find out that you don’t have any open questions available anymore.

From that page, you’ll be able to close questions and see how many questions you can still ask before reaching the limit allowed for your XPER level.

Room for growth

One of the other differences you’ll find is that the “Share a myTake” page is now completely divorced from the “Ask a Question”. Don’t worry, they are still good friends and speak to each other.

But in the long run, they need to be different because we want to make sure creating a question is as easy and straightforward as possible while providing powerful custom tools for the editors and all our members to create brilliant, great-looking myTakes.

Assorted adjustments

We also made several adjustments to some of the features introduced recently. Closed questions were removed from recommended lists and boxes altogether and are displayed more clearly on your profiles.

If you had a question removed, we also inform you if it’s not closed yet and a simple confirmation dialog makes sure nobody closes a question by mistake.

Before you ask…

Yes, the downvote is still making its way back to GirlsAskGuys. But we decided to prioritize other features and tasks needed to make sure our mobile applications will play nice with the website.

As promised, the Follow feature for questions and myTakes is also going to return in the near future.

DiogoRibeiro is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Girls Said 5

• You guys are getting there.. Slowly.. Just at SNAIL SPEED! WOOP WOOP 🐌🐌🐌 lolol

• I agree with BellePepper on this. I wasn't even going to comment, but I will go ahead and say it.
    Although I understand what you were trying to say, I still kind of resent the metaphor you used to start your text "just show, don't tell", like you guys are some great authors of something and the users on here the readers or pawns in your game. In reality, the users have been the ones pointing out what I also thought was obvious regarding the private opinions and other features.

I guess taking away the downvote button was much easier and faster than to bring it back... maybe waiting for people to forget about it.

• WHY am I only seeing this post six days after it was posted? Like I'm on here all the time and I follow you and I'm just now seeing this? Do you really want to make community announcements or do I have to hunt for them because you guys want to keep everything hush hush?

The fact that someone thought it would be an okay idea to allow private opinions (which are bad enough) to be ANONYMOUS is shocking. WHAT WERE YOU ALL THINKING? Like legitimately what was the thought process?

And do you know what makes this worse? Thanks to RandomPerson1234 now we KNOW there are convicted criminals on this site using it to commit more crimes and the website is enabling them in not just one but TWO ways. Fantastic work GaG.

**Private Opinions should not exist on this site**
    media.giphy.com/media/Qsebne5mlKyti/giphy.gif

On to other things now. I'm confused about why so many features are being added when you could take things off and get the same effect? Like we have a ton of notification options no one uses because it's basically the Live Feed right? Well, why don't you just get rid of the Live Feed, make the Recent Feed the default, and then you'd have the best of both systems while still getting more and faster question answers?

Is that a technical issue or? I'm sure I'm not the only one to think of this. But it seems like that's what a lot of changes are?

I can also still see people's Private Comments and their replies on their profiles. Most of which are flagable by the way. What are the moderators supposed to be doing in that situation? Should we PM the nonresponsive GaG account or flag the question or what?

• That bug you mentioned about people's profiles should be fixed for a while now. We'll look into it again anyway.

Just ping me via a message if you need anything or want to report a bug. Thanks.

• you mean catfish? Nope. Not just you. We are riding a wave right now I think.

• @CheerGirl38139 bluuuuuuuuuuuuuuuh make it stop

• Ok, regarding down votes - I keep hearing stuff like "users overwhelmingly want theme back". But which users? Sure, when a question with a poll is posted, I've seen like 7 out of 10 vote for bringing back down votes. But only maybe 1 or 2 out of those 7 will take the time to say WHY they want them back.

I am adamant that down votes add ZERO positives to the GaG community. If a user posts a ridiculous or offensive opinion, it can be reported as such. If an opinion is truly worthy of a down vote, then why not give the poster your reason for disagreement? Afraid of starting an argument? What's new?

I guess instead of having up or down votes, we could change them to "agree or disagree" votes. But still, does that actually help the question asker or the opinion owner of they don't also get a REASON for the disagreement? Isn't that basically why most of us are here?

ADMINS I implore you to reconsider and look at the opinions of the REGULAR users that offer sometbing to the community here consistently. Sure, some of those may want down votes back, but I'm convinced that far less of them do. Many of your editors don't see the benefit of them.

I've said this before, and may say it again, but I'm not the only one that feels this way. Down votes just make it easy for the Debbie Downers and trolls that have an axe to grind against someone, to "hit and run" with negativity, without ADDING anything useful to the GaG community at large. Down voting a legitimate opinion helps no one, even if you simply disagree. If you're not willing to take the time to respond with something useful to the Asker and/or the Opinion Owner, it's better for everyone of you just move along.

I'm not suggesting that SOME users wouldn't use the down vote legitimately to express their disagreement with an opinion (this is where I could maybe see agree/disagree votes) - but even that isn't truly useful to anyone.

Down votes just make it easy for lazy people to troll with one click.

Great job on the other recent changes. ✌

• @DiogoRibeiro @xhoneyxbeex
      For this ONE TIME PLEASE LISTEN TO YOUR USERS!

• @BellePepper It's too late in the day for me to think. Let me get back to you. ;)

• Good, I like the new changes :)

What Guys Said 13