Things G@G could Improve on/bring back

After being on GirlsaskGuys (GAG) for over a year now, I've noticed different things on this site that could use improvement. Even more when I downloaded this extention called, "Stylish," I really noticed more details on this website.

Things G@G could Improve on/bring back

myTake

- They used to have more options on prettying up a mytake that you would write. If you wanted to put some words more in the middle, left side, and right side. For a while now it's been removed for whatever reason but I think that was an option that made the takes look better. Instead of having EVERYTHING only on the left side.

- They used to have a list of bullet (typography) you could use to make lists look more appealing but they were removed as well. I think they should bring them for they gave more of a flair to any list you made.

- When I wrote about my mental disorder, it became the longest mytake I have ever written. Which until then I had no idea that myTakes had a character limit, which they do. Yet you won't know if your going over the limit until you try sending it. Then you would get an error message stating, "Error! Either your mytake is too short or it's too long." GaG really needs to add a character count letting you know if your reaching the limit to how much your able to write. That way people wouldn't have to guess if they are going over or not.

- For the people (like me) who don't know what kind of emoji's you can use on here. I think GAG should add a tab letting you choose any kind of emoji that fits what your trying to get across.

- The only kind of color you get to pick on here is just black. If GAG added a tab that let you pick specific color for certain lines. That would help to draw more attention to them. It would also let readers know some highlighted (bold) sections are not in bold for the same reason.

- Everytime I write a myTake now, spell check doesn't work on here at all. I used to work when I would write a myTake but now it doesn't at all. I'm not sure if GAG took that away or if it's a bug but I think that's something to look into.

- Fix the horizontal line because it barely shows up and you have to look hard to see it. Along with maybe give other choices to use as a line there.

- GAG also used to let us add a line under words and other kinds of...

Questions

- They should allow us to be able to edit the, "add more detail," under the question title. That way if you noticed you typed something wrong there or a website is too graphic. You can fix your mistake and either get rid of it or put something else.

- If we can't edit polls due to trolls on GAG at lest let us be able to add on to the polls for when you forget to add something to it. It's annoying as hell when Question askers are getting bitched at when they forgot to add some things to their polls.

MISC.

- We were promised downvotes and still nothing. Not sure how many GAGers are still waiting for it's comeback.

- More feed options would be nice; in choosing what kind of content you get to see. At the moment we only have 2 options of what we can see, either who we follow or the topics we follow. Even with the topics we follow you still get items from topics you don't care about. Plus it's still extremely hard to catch a lot of different content that pops up.

- Someone on GAG had this idea but now I've forgotten which one it was, I know it was a dude. Having GAG let others see when someone blocks them that second. Seeing if that would work in making people stop with the spam blocking for no logical reason. Plus if other people are trying to talk to you on a question, they won't know your not able to reply. So it would be nice if they can get some kind of warning that your not able to reply due to the asker.

- Being able to use our Xper points to redeem and change our username would save A LOT of time and effort in making a new account. So you don't have to lose the badge you have on your account.

- Stop letting the @users light up with people who have deactivated their accounts. It's confusing and really annoying to see them when they don't exist anymore.

CSS

After I had messed around with the stylish extention, it let me change every single color on gag. After doing this I noticed A LOT of details that you wouldn't be able to see thanks to the white background color.

- The white background on GAG is blinding and murders your eyes at night. With the changes I made with Stylish extension it doesn't murder my eyes anymore. If GAG would at least change the colors to something that hurts you eyes less, that would be great. Here is what I've change mine to look like so at night it doesn't kill me to look at it. Which yes all the changes I have done so far took HOURS! Which I'm still not done fix all the white colors.

- In follows section the box around each username has more detail to that box which looks cool. Though that extra detail is hidden due to all the white.

- Icons next to questions and a lot of other things are hidden too. For a while now I thought the, "viewed" Icon had been removed but I was wrong. It's still there just you can't see it because the color of it doesn't stand out.

For now that's all the changes I can think of that would make gag a little bit better. I hope you enjoyed it and let me know what are some other things GAG should change/fix.

Mustachekitteh is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Guys Said 15

• I hope G@G is listening because this is solid advice.

• You know the April fools day lols? Remember?
    Omg, wish that was like weekly occurrence

• The embedded Meebo chat is when GaG was in its prime years, those were the good 'ol days.

BUT, to take a modern context on the web, embedded chat is a thing of the past. This was the hot thing to do in the internet before the explosion of mobile app platforms for messaging.

So I understand after Google acquired and killed Meebo, GaG never made a move to find another chat provider for the website for that reason. Can't wait for the mobile app to release! Especially since many GaGers surf using their phones these days anyways. :-P

• Fantastic ideas, and great Take :D

• I wish I could add about them stop doing those stupid random updates! It seems to always happen right when your done finishing your comment and try to send. Then it says, "sorry gag is away with updates." -_-

• Indeed, you're right about that too

• Any long-time GAGer's remember Meebo?

IM chat function... it was a fun feature. Although it naturally brought its share of issues I guess, now that I think about it... :/

• Meebo was when GaG was in its prime, before the site sold out to the Social Media Gods

• I agree with every last one of these ideas... especially the downvote.

#bringbackthedownvote

• 1. Replace blocking with filtering. Nobody should have the power to silence others.
    2. Fix the character limit. Right now the character limit to a comment on an opinion is between 940 and 975 characters, though it says the limit is 1000. It will let you type out 980 characters, then tell you the post is too long (or too short). They should also remove the "too short" notice, or at least make it 1 character. "No" is a perfectly good comment in many cases.
    3. Allow us to dismiss crap off of our feed that we are not interested in.
    4. Get rid of "featuring" altogether.

• Awww yiss. thanks for shouting out the Styles... Tried it. Love it, made me change colours on websites!

• a notification and a marker to know who blocked you so you don't waste time on answering a question or responding to a comment only to figure out that you've been blocked by said person

• also, a database of active users would be dope. i'd like to tag people, but it's so much work looking up people and then having to spell it completely right. i think gag could do a lot better job of daggers getting to know and message and communicate with each other.

• You have some interesting ideas/thoughts listed here. Thanks so much for your feedback! :)

• Downvote option...

• Lots of stuff there I like - The stylistic things on takes and a character count especially.

• Nice work on CSS but it's better if you use the gradient function instead of applying colors directly.. And use lighter colors

• DOWNVOTE

DOWNVOTE

DOWNVOTE

• I want those myTake features back so bad T_T

What Girls Said 7

• Lovely take. I couldn't agree more.

• This is a solid take. But one question - why don't you just lower your screen's brightness at night? Or why not have a desk lamp on so that your eyes won't strain?

Please, @GirlsAskGuys, make a Box to be Checked where we have an Option to Choose whether or not we want Others Commenting in our own Coment box.

• I completely agree

• Very good ideas, I like them all :)

• I think down vote will make things more hostile. People will just down vote anything they happen to disagree with.

• Those are some great ideas. So @GirlsAskGuys are you listening?