Blocking People For Legitimate Reasons, Or Out Of Ignorance?

Although there is the argument "You can't block people in real life!", people still block other users on websites, especially on here.

Well I block for two reasons.

1. They're ignorant.

Not as in they disagree with me, but as in they can't back up the shit they're talking. They're not giving facts, they're being disrespectful and rude. I'm not going to deal with that.

If I get in an argument with an ignorant person on here, I am going to block them if they annoy me enough.

2. They're creepy.

Lots of people 30+ will hit on younger people 18 below. They won't age check before flirting, or they something nasty and perverted. Usually I will comment on them making me uncomfortable or them being creepy. Occasionally I'll just block them if I'm not in the mood.

Reasons not to block others:

1. They disagree with you.

It's stupid. "Oh, Susan disagrees with me, she supports Trump and not Bernie! Blocked."
That's bullshit. Susan didn't do anything wrong, she had an opinion.

2. Their race.

I've noticed Indian people will get blocked simply for being Indian, and there's a stigma that
"all Indians are creepy."

This goes for any race but damn. Really? You racist bastards.

3. Their age.

Just because someone is 20 years older or younger than you, that doesn't mean they're stupid or immature or not understanding.

4. You got the final word.

How mature. You posted your say then you block them so you can't let them prove their side.

People, blocking is something useful, not something to be abused. It doesn't make you "in the right" or anything. It makes you seem like an arse.

Knowing GAG, you shouldn't block people so willy-nilly or else they'll take that away from us too! (Joking....kind of.)

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Guys Said 52

• There are people who are always self-entitled. On this site, mostly the fembotanists. If you disagree with them about anything, they will usually ALL block you. I've been blocked by 4 of them on ONE question, because I disagreed with ONEof them.

And they leave you blocked forever... I see them two years later on another question, and I'm still blockedQ

I never block them in retaliation, b ecause I'm a guy, we don't have the crown and glass slippers that give us that right..

• you can block people in real life. block them on your cell phone and just ignore them alltogether

• No you can't-that's still not even real life.

I mean you *can* block someone irl but that'd be murder.

• High School (22 years ago) I just ran the other way.. Parent.. one who gave me shit has been dead since 2002 (my father) so its a win-win :)

• my father was very sick with health issues and I was the only one to help him. And STILL while he was sick he was a prick to me

• Just got blocked today for calling out transgenderism as a mental illness.
    Wow people can't take the truth. At least 6 people agreed with me.

People block for silly reasons. I've only blocked Neo Nazis and annoying people that wouldn't stop messaging me.

• Gender dysphoria is the mental illness, not transgenderism.

• @itsallover Discomfort is something mild that can easily be resolved while issues with identity are serious and cause many mental illnesses and can lead to suicide. By calling it dysphoria you are trivializing what they are going through.

• In the world of psychiatry, it doesn't merely mean 'discomfort': https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dysphoria

• Usually I block people when their ego out weighs their wisdom. Sometimes I also block intentionally rude people. There are mature ways to disagree but some people on here think their pains and experiences in life are the standard to which all others must bow down to. Thankfully I've only come across two of them so far.

• Nice share, but I have not blocked anyone yet here.

• yeah.. my haters are retarded lol

• I haven't blocked many people on GaG over my 6 years here. I only block people for two reasons:

1) spamming my activity
    2) harassment

What I don't like, is that I notice people being blocked just because they have a different viewpoint on various issues and topics. THAT is a trend in modern society that I don't dig at ALL!

Everyone just wants to echo-chamber what they already think, instead of being open to listening to people with different thought philosophies and thought processes.

Talk about breeding closed-mindedness.

• Yeah how many times I've read a my take and can tell the person is just wanting their views reinforced by the yes men you get here. Pathetic rubbish so it is. They go spare when you disagree with them. I've been blocked by egotistical clowns on here. It was always women by the way

• I have only ever blocked pv and people attacking me on all of my post after being asked to stop they never d9.

• I find blocking to be the most cowardice thing someone can do

I mean, it's one thing if they're just tossing insults, but most blocking occurs when someone can't beat someone's logic, so they toss a bunch of insults along with the rest of their flimsy logic, then blocks them while getting the last word

I got into an argument with a feminazi (surprise surprise) and she tried to cite the internet as a whole as a reason of rape culture... the INTERNET. The land of the Memes and home of the Trolls. She blocked me while firing off her flimsy logic

• Great Take. I've never blocked anyone, no need to. If someone is being ignorant or creepy, just ignore them they'll go away. It for me especially if I was a woman I would have to see a blatant sign that someone was being ignorant or creepy. I don't label someone and assume especially if I may be wrong in my interpretation. Some people are not always clear with their expressions. I prefer direct talk, not something that I have to translate. I'm not usually rude and definitely don't discuss sex with anyone that hasn't brought up the topic first even in private chat. I'm even kind enough to ask how they wish to discuss it. I find it funny that some people jump to conclusions, based on a feeling without facts or evidence and I don't care what your past experience is or was with this site, don't label me something I'm not. I messed with one girl because she thought I was talking down to her, all I said was her statements were not correct and wasn't reality, then with each post she jumped to more conclusions as I knew she would and proving my first point. She wasn't after a healthy debate she wanted an argument so I just played along with her till I was bored. I had a couple guys try to tool me too, was fun for a minute or two. Sometimes people are being ignorant but they get upset if you call them out on it and then block you. I totally agree with the under 18 thing, no one above that age should be creeping on anyone under the age of 18 in my opinion.

• Mi momiee todl me to aignore my sistwer so now I ignore ecveyrbody

• Well, I have blocked only 1 person so far. For me blocking is the last option. However I do believe that some people deserve to be blocked.

• I usually block them if they start insulting me. I am not here to be insulted or called names. Or if they are a new user saying something sexist or racist. I pretty much just assume they are hateful trolls that typically won't hang around for more than a few days anyway. Most of the people I block don't hang around for long. They aren't the type that have come to this site to be helpful, or to have an open mind to get honest advice that isn't telling them what they want to hear.

• I usually get blocked for saying something about love and unity.

Or being too good at sarcasm lol.

• Well, I'd argue that if they're not using logic or facts, you should call them out on that, and step up your own argumentation game, instead of blocking them for it.

• does it mattter? how life works is that nobody is owed anybody else's time... it's how it is.

• But what if you're a super special victim who needs a safe space where only people with the exact same opinion as you are allowed to talk for fear of being victimized by a different opinion?

What if you can't perform simple distinctions and so everything you read becomes proof that people who disagree with you are racist and sexist?

What if your reading comprehension is so bad that you regularly accuse people of saying things they didn't, then call them names and get mad at them when they think your crazy.

What if someone makes a good point and then they won't take your bait when you try to steer the conversation in a different direction so you can be right?

How exactly are these types of conversationalists supposed to live by your guidelines? Can't you see how they suffer? /lol

• "what if"
      okay hun, you keep trying to make a comeback using "what if"'s

• ""what if"
      okay hun, you keep trying to make a comeback using "what if"'s"

I don't get what your saying.

• I never block anyone but I get blocked lol. I'm a conscious guy. I didn't do anything wrong. But some block me for no reason. For giving a true opinion? Don't know

• I don't _think_ I have blocked anyone here, but I have been blocked, most recently by someone who couldn't deal with being wrong on someone else's thread. It sucks because it makes it look as though I had no reply, when I totally did.

• eh people say i dont have facts all the time. i just tell them its not my job to educate you beyond my comment.

• More from Guys
    32

What Girls Said 25

• I got blocked for my race before. Some guy blocked me because I was black and that we are "eliminating the white race". I was just like, lol k.

• Oh, there are many out there who do it out of ignorance or fearing a challenging response - i. e., something they can't respond to because they know they're wrong and not very bright... xD

• I block people who try to debate with me for days. 1) I don't have time for that shit and 2) I'm tired of talking in circles. Once the argument/debate has reached the point where I have already said my opinion 10 times in 10 different ways, and all they're doing is misunderstanding me, twisting my words, making assumptions etc, I've had enough. Like I can't even count how many times I've said "I never said that? Where did I say XYZ?" on here. Some people just suck at reading comprehension, I have 0 patience for such people. I also have 0 patience for people who start ranting irrelevant crap under my opinion, that has nothing to do with what I posted.

• Yeah the blocking has gotten kind of crazy.

I only started blocking recently and it's due to the same reasons you listed on the first part.

• I'm both.
    :)

• i block people who repeat the same thing in 8 different ways and then add into their rant what i say. Like i just block the crazies, that just dont stop.

• I have only been a member here for a few days but already I understand why girls block Indian guys.

• I am still yet to block anyone on any site.
    True story!!! :)

• I'd only block someone if they harass (this includes insistent creepy messages) me or if they said something that was really uncalled for and offensive/immature.

• I don't even block people on my Facebook. Unless somebody is harrasing me, I can go all day debating my point and I can just as easily forget they even exist.

• I usually get blocked because the person thinks their right and doesn't want to argue with me, or because the person wants to make it seem like I'm attacking them or what you called the 'final word'. On one of my questions I mentioned that I didn't feel comfortable with people taking pictures of me and posting it online without me acknowledging first. I argued back and forth with this guy about it because I tried to explain that he can't undermine my feelings and that they are not wrong just because he disagreed with it. The guy blocked me which was a bit upsetting because it made me feel like he thought that I was being annoying when he was the one who was forcing his opinion on me. On a question about attention whores I gave my opinion saying that the asker could just ignore them. She blocked me and fixed my grammar calling me an attention whore

• Excellent take. I never block people regardless of how extreme the debate/argument may ge. I'd like to imaginae that we could agree to disagree in the least. Commenting is open to everyone and I wouldn't want someone to take that right from me so I don't do it to others.

Now every now and again debates/arguments can get more aggressive and I'll admit I'm not the one to bite my tongue but I will never just go and attack someone, say something rude, or even block a person because simply in real life it's not that simple...

But again great mytske 👏

• Great take. Now if every one would read it GAG would be a better place.

• Oh yeah I get blocked for the reasons 1 & 4 so much it's almost ridiculous. Two people even blocked me simply for openly admitting I was bisexual and I had never even talked to them before.. like AT ALL 😂
    Oh and I've blocked a few people that have just been incredibly rude to me for no apparent reason at all, not sorry at all.

• Great Take! I block for the same two reasons as you, but I mainly block the creepers. I am not an over sensitive or weak person ,(like some people assume) but i will block if i feel the need to. The block "button" is there for a reason, so i take advantage of it at times. I don't put up with ass-holes in RL , so there's no need to tolerate them on here either. Most people in my block list are creepers.

• There is nothing wrong with blocking others no matter the reason.
    People don't HAVE to listen to what you say.
    They have every right to block you whether you like the reason or not.
    "Not something to be abused".
    There is no way to abuse that, lol.
    Just because you can't say what you want to that person or look at their profile or whatever doesn't mean they're doing something wrong.
    I don't know what's with this site and shaming people for blocking others.

• You are right the are no way to abuse it since it a feature, but the way it's implemented on GaG is abusive in nature. Sure, if it only affected you no problem, but giving you the ability to impose censorship at will is abusive.

• @oracle12c It IS okay. They don't want to see your reply. Simple as that.
      They don't have to.
      Complaining about something like that is so petty.

• @Izzex3
      No, the problem is not the ability to block, but the ability to have the last word before blocking - did you get my point now?

Blocking = ok
      Having the last word = ok
      Having the last word THEN blocking to prevent rebuttal = NOT ok

• i don't block people, if a person doesn't agree with me or is a racist then i just ignore them by not replying anymore. i get blocked sometimes for the reasons above but i don't bother blocking them back.

• I block a few people for similar reasons. Especially when you know they're simply being intentionally antagonistic and/or just trolling you for a reaction. Yeah, here's my reaction. GTFO out of my feed.

I've seen several profiles on here bragging about how many times they've been blocked as some sort of reward for "winning" an argument. Not necessarily Charlie Sheen, maybe you're just a fucktard that those people don't have time to waste on.

media.giphy.com/media/m3999L3mrGrIc/giphy.gif

• I have only blocked people who PM me sexual stuff. It's sad, too... people start out so nice and then BAM, turn perverted. It makes me really reluctant to reply to anyone :( . I have never blocked anyone for any other reason. If they get stupid in a question I just laugh and let it be. His/her opinion doesn't matter to me in real life, know what I mean?

• I block some people for a few resions one I block people if there being creepy or asking me weird questions that creep me out and to I block people if there being mean to me

• More from Girls
    5