Blocking People For Legitimate Reasons, Or Out Of Ignorance?

Although there is the argument "You can't block people in real life!", people still block other users on websites, especially on here.

Well I block for two reasons.

1. They're ignorant.

Not as in they disagree with me, but as in they can't back up the shit they're talking. They're not giving facts, they're being disrespectful and rude. I'm not going to deal with that.

If I get in an argument with an ignorant person on here, I am going to block them if they annoy me enough.

2. They're creepy.

Lots of people 30+ will hit on younger people 18 below. They won't age check before flirting, or they something nasty and perverted. Usually I will comment on them making me uncomfortable or them being creepy. Occasionally I'll just block them if I'm not in the mood.

Reasons not to block others:

1. They disagree with you.

It's stupid. "Oh, Susan disagrees with me, she supports Trump and not Bernie! Blocked."
That's bullshit. Susan didn't do anything wrong, she had an opinion.

2. Their race.

I've noticed Indian people will get blocked simply for being Indian, and there's a stigma that
"all Indians are creepy."

This goes for any race but damn. Really? You racist bastards.

3. Their age.

Just because someone is 20 years older or younger than you, that doesn't mean they're stupid or immature or not understanding.

4. You got the final word.

How mature. You posted your say then you block them so you can't let them prove their side.

People, blocking is something useful, not something to be abused. It doesn't make you "in the right" or anything. It makes you seem like an arse.

Knowing GAG, you shouldn't block people so willy-nilly or else they'll take that away from us too! (Joking....kind of.)

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit
Sponsored

What Guys Said 52

• Since I've joined GAG, I've blocked two people.
    The first one was a 15-16 year old girl who I spent 4 or 5 hours via PM trying to help her with her issue. She basically thought every attractive guy (busdrivers, street performers, classmates, etc.) who happened to look or stare at her for some seconds had a crush on her. She was upset also because she didn't have a boyfriend, but she felt "everyone else had one."

She also kept bragging on how insanely beautiful and such she was. I basically told her simply not to get too big of an ego as it could cause issues and she flipped out and wanted me to look at EVERY facebook pic (as proof of her beauty). I told her the truth-- she was a bit above average but wasn't really my personal type. She flipped out more.

This is where she wanted to know what she could change to get better. When I say change, I mean details... Like a nose slightly more round, eyes slightly closer together, eyebrows slightly thinner... Everything. Then she went crazy and started discussing her surgical options and how she would set an appointment for hair and stuff the next day.

After telling her not to take my advice and preferences THAT seriously, I gave up blocked her. I had dealt with 4 or 5 hours of this straight. I was tired, and realized the case was hopeless.

The second time was when I blocked one person (deactivated user @LateNightss ) since he decided to call me names and then post memes, including some with pictures of myself, on my opinion for a question. I told him I was done dealing with him and he continued so I gave up and blocked him lol

-----
    I don't like blocking people when I can avoid it. However, if I determine someone to be a lost cause, I will block them gladly for my own mental well being.

• I block only for one reason... if they threaten to murder me.
    Believe me, 3 guys did that. (One out of them didn't exactly said so, but his intentions were horrible)
    There's only one guy in my list right now.
    I don't block people. I used to be UberMod so, people used to think twice before posting negativity to me because they were afraid of ban hammer. Nowadays, the community is less violent, but more ignorant. People don't post me threats but they are illogical beyond imagination.

I've been blocked because
    ●I called someone zombie
    ●I am considered a troll
    ●I am considered a guy who treats women as objects and shows no empathy
    ●I didn't accept their opinion and tried to make my point (worst way to block)

They think I'm argumentative, but the fact is, I like to debate. We learn a lot. I like it when someone wins the debate. They helped me in improving. When I'll log out and face the real world, I'd do it in better way because of my experience.

I don't care who blocked me or how I was blocked because the whole idea is so disappointing and time consuming. But I don't completely ignore it. It helps in understanding the community better. I've been told that I'm just too blunt. And my consigliere told me that I should stay blunt but there are two ways to put your opinion, the obvious way and the better way where you can put your point without hurting someone. I'm working hard on this skill. It's good. It can turn your enemies into your allies.

• There are people who are always self-entitled. On this site, mostly the fembotanists. If you disagree with them about anything, they will usually ALL block you. I've been blocked by 4 of them on ONE question, because I disagreed with ONEof them.

And they leave you blocked forever... I see them two years later on another question, and I'm still blockedQ

I never block them in retaliation, b ecause I'm a guy, we don't have the crown and glass slippers that give us that right..

• On my old account I went a bit blocking mad and blocked about 40 people then I realised I was being too sensitive and sometimes in the wrong, I unblocked them all becoming friends with a few since. I went through a couple of months without blocking anybody but I have had to block 2 on newer accounts. . One is not really their fault, it was they were just looking for something I wasn't capable of giving and I felt it was easier to stop contact. The second was just abusive to me. So I agree with your first reason fortunately middle aged men don't get too many creepers.
    It is my policy not to get involved with arguments so hardly ever encounter (1) or (4) on your second part and discounting a person because age or race is narrow minded.

• Just got blocked today for calling out transgenderism as a mental illness.
    Wow people can't take the truth. At least 6 people agreed with me.

People block for silly reasons. I've only blocked Neo Nazis and annoying people that wouldn't stop messaging me.

• Gender dysphoria is the mental illness, not transgenderism.

• @itsallover Discomfort is something mild that can easily be resolved while issues with identity are serious and cause many mental illnesses and can lead to suicide. By calling it dysphoria you are trivializing what they are going through.

• In the world of psychiatry, it doesn't merely mean 'discomfort': https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dysphoria

• I have noticed that it is usually the libtards who wield the block and ban hammer, and run crying to big mommy the moderator/administrator.
    Why?
    When someone behaves in that manner, it is demonstrating that they are (a) a totalitarian and (b) they must silence dissenting voices because their position is so weak, or contrary to the evidence, that they cannot argue their case against the dissenting voice.
    Blocking someone with whom you disagree is an admission that your case is without merit and that you are in the wrong.

• I haven't blocked many people on GaG over my 6 years here. I only block people for two reasons:

1) spamming my activity
    2) harassment

What I don't like, is that I notice people being blocked just because they have a different viewpoint on various issues and topics. THAT is a trend in modern society that I don't dig at ALL!

Everyone just wants to echo-chamber what they already think, instead of being open to listening to people with different thought philosophies and thought processes.

Talk about breeding closed-mindedness.

• Yeah how many times I've read a my take and can tell the person is just wanting their views reinforced by the yes men you get here. Pathetic rubbish so it is. They go spare when you disagree with them. I've been blocked by egotistical clowns on here. It was always women by the way

• Great Take. I've never blocked anyone, no need to. If someone is being ignorant or creepy, just ignore them they'll go away. It for me especially if I was a woman I would have to see a blatant sign that someone was being ignorant or creepy. I don't label someone and assume especially if I may be wrong in my interpretation. Some people are not always clear with their expressions. I prefer direct talk, not something that I have to translate. I'm not usually rude and definitely don't discuss sex with anyone that hasn't brought up the topic first even in private chat. I'm even kind enough to ask how they wish to discuss it. I find it funny that some people jump to conclusions, based on a feeling without facts or evidence and I don't care what your past experience is or was with this site, don't label me something I'm not. I messed with one girl because she thought I was talking down to her, all I said was her statements were not correct and wasn't reality, then with each post she jumped to more conclusions as I knew she would and proving my first point. She wasn't after a healthy debate she wanted an argument so I just played along with her till I was bored. I had a couple guys try to tool me too, was fun for a minute or two. Sometimes people are being ignorant but they get upset if you call them out on it and then block you. I totally agree with the under 18 thing, no one above that age should be creeping on anyone under the age of 18 in my opinion.

• I only block people if they block me. And the reason for this is because typing up some huge response to someone only to see that I can't post it because they're blocking me is really irritating. Of course, I think GaG has since fixed this?

But to be fair, as a guy I generally don't have to deal with creepy people. And as an aspiring teacher, ignorant people don't really bother me.

• I think blocking is ridiculous anyway. It's just lazy moderating/admining... In the past you'd make a complaint and it would be taken care of... Just automates everything which seems like the easiest thing, but actually isn't. As for reasons to 'block', nice take.

• yeah.. my haters are retarded lol

• I personally abhor the block feature and think it should be removed, as it gives the power to control other people's speech. That is, one person has the ability to remove another person's ability to comment in a public area, yet it comes with no corresponding limitations (that I know of).

First off, you should be able to ignore people "manually." That is, see a shitty comment and just not read it or if you're morbidly curious, not get to you. But barring that, I DO think the site should have a FILTER feature, where you can FILTER OUT commentary from some particular person, without affecting their ability to comment. This would of course reverse the exploit onto you (the exploit being where you can libel the shit out of someone then block them so they can't defend themselves), but that should be the price you have to pay in order to have the machine do the work of managing your feelings for you.

Blocking is the tool of fascists. It's abused almost exclusively.

• So people who are literally being constantly harassed by users on the site shouldn't have the right to block them? The blocking feature carries over to PMing too, which isn't public.

• @itsallover I didn't say "right," I said "ability." But essentially, yes. Blocking (as it's implemented here, now) removes someone's ability to speak, whereas filtering just keeps the offending speech off of your screen. There's no justification for taking someone's voice out of the public sphere when the ability exists to keep it out of your own personal sphere.

Of course you should be able to block people from sending you PMs, because that's your personal space. But the public comments are not, and you should not have the ability to prevent people from speaking in public spaces here any more than users should have the ability to delete other users' accounts.

• I never block anyone for any reason.

Blocking is a weak way of dealing with things you don't like.
    I have seen "Ignorant" being claimed when facts are presented to some.
    It's also been used against people who correct or disagree with opinions.
    Disagreeing has also been shamed as being "disrespectful" or "Rude" when it isn't. It's simply someone not having the back bone to deal with criticism.

"Creepy" is subjective.

• Maybe you block for the right reasons but I'm blocked just because I disagree with soemeone sure I'm being brutality honest and they probably think I'm a dick but I want people to be brutaly honest to me, I wanna have an argument rather than block them out. Also why block just don't respond if you block then you can't reply to them later there's been countless times where I try to respond and I realize I'm blocked.

• Usually I block people when their ego out weighs their wisdom. Sometimes I also block intentionally rude people. There are mature ways to disagree but some people on here think their pains and experiences in life are the standard to which all others must bow down to. Thankfully I've only come across two of them so far.

• Most of the people on my list who blocked me did so for kind of petty reasons.

• I usually block them if they start insulting me. I am not here to be insulted or called names. Or if they are a new user saying something sexist or racist. I pretty much just assume they are hateful trolls that typically won't hang around for more than a few days anyway. Most of the people I block don't hang around for long. They aren't the type that have come to this site to be helpful, or to have an open mind to get honest advice that isn't telling them what they want to hear.

• Well I think it's ok to block anyone for anything, as long as "4. You got the final word" feature is removed.

The "4. You got the final word" is my only objection to this size, it's passive aggressive and promote antagonistic statements followed by blocking before any response can be made.

The real issue is, if I make a take and block for for whatever reason, then you are effectively set out of the debate, and I have in reality imposed censorship on you and limited you free speech - this feature would actually be illegal if GaG had the servers in my country, they could have been charged by suppression of free speech by unconstitutional use of censorship in a public media.

That said, blocking is fine as long is it only effects yourself, the way it's implemented here, is random imposed censorship - nothing more or less.

• But what if you're a super special victim who needs a safe space where only people with the exact same opinion as you are allowed to talk for fear of being victimized by a different opinion?

What if you can't perform simple distinctions and so everything you read becomes proof that people who disagree with you are racist and sexist?

What if your reading comprehension is so bad that you regularly accuse people of saying things they didn't, then call them names and get mad at them when they think your crazy.

What if someone makes a good point and then they won't take your bait when you try to steer the conversation in a different direction so you can be right?

How exactly are these types of conversationalists supposed to live by your guidelines? Can't you see how they suffer? /lol

• "what if"
      okay hun, you keep trying to make a comeback using "what if"'s

• ""what if"
      okay hun, you keep trying to make a comeback using "what if"'s"

I don't get what your saying.

• eh people say i dont have facts all the time. i just tell them its not my job to educate you beyond my comment.

• More from Guys
    32

What Girls Said 25

• Excellent take. I never block people regardless of how extreme the debate/argument may ge. I'd like to imaginae that we could agree to disagree in the least. Commenting is open to everyone and I wouldn't want someone to take that right from me so I don't do it to others.

Now every now and again debates/arguments can get more aggressive and I'll admit I'm not the one to bite my tongue but I will never just go and attack someone, say something rude, or even block a person because simply in real life it's not that simple...

But again great mytske 👏

• I block people who try to debate with me for days. 1) I don't have time for that shit and 2) I'm tired of talking in circles. Once the argument/debate has reached the point where I have already said my opinion 10 times in 10 different ways, and all they're doing is misunderstanding me, twisting my words, making assumptions etc, I've had enough. Like I can't even count how many times I've said "I never said that? Where did I say XYZ?" on here. Some people just suck at reading comprehension, I have 0 patience for such people. I also have 0 patience for people who start ranting irrelevant crap under my opinion, that has nothing to do with what I posted.

• I don't block people just because I think they're ignorant. It's ridiculous and highly subjective and oftentimes people end up blocking a user simply for disagreeing.

If someone is being stupid, not backing up their position and generally being a dipshit, you can simply end the conversation by not replying. Blocking them is childish, because in most cases the upset user writes a shitty "end reply" and then blocks that person to prevent them from replying, essentially fabricating a conversational victory.

This is pretty much the most common way people abuse the block feature, silencing anyone that disagrees with them.

Most of your reasons not to block are rolled into the "they're ignorant" in the heads of people that are block happy - they justify it to themselves that the person they're blocking is just ignorant, when in reality they simply disagree and want to get the final word. An overwhelming number of users here are babies that can't stand considering even for a second that their position may be wrong or up for debate, so they block out all opposition.

The only reasons I consider to be legitimate for blocking is if you're being continually harassed and/or spammed with either abuse or unwanted sexual advances.

• I always say to ignorant people "Please stop replying [they usually spam my notifications] or else I will be forced to block you. Thank you." and if they don't then I block them.

• Yep, spammers and block feature abusers deserve to get blocked, especially when you were fair and asked them nicely to cease.

A user once blocked me for disagreeing, then months later left a shitty reply on one of my questions, sent an abusive PM, then re-blocked me to prevent a reply.

His ass got reported and he received a warning from the admins, lol.

• I block a few people for similar reasons. Especially when you know they're simply being intentionally antagonistic and/or just trolling you for a reaction. Yeah, here's my reaction. GTFO out of my feed.

I've seen several profiles on here bragging about how many times they've been blocked as some sort of reward for "winning" an argument. Not necessarily Charlie Sheen, maybe you're just a fucktard that those people don't have time to waste on.

media.giphy.com/media/m3999L3mrGrIc/giphy.gif

• I block people as a last resort when people are very annoying. Apparently I find people very annoying in general because I have over 100 people blocked.

• Great Take! I block for the same two reasons as you, but I mainly block the creepers. I am not an over sensitive or weak person ,(like some people assume) but i will block if i feel the need to. The block "button" is there for a reason, so i take advantage of it at times. I don't put up with ass-holes in RL , so there's no need to tolerate them on here either. Most people in my block list are creepers.

• I have only blocked people who PM me sexual stuff. It's sad, too... people start out so nice and then BAM, turn perverted. It makes me really reluctant to reply to anyone :( . I have never blocked anyone for any other reason. If they get stupid in a question I just laugh and let it be. His/her opinion doesn't matter to me in real life, know what I mean?

• Oh yeah I get blocked for the reasons 1 & 4 so much it's almost ridiculous. Two people even blocked me simply for openly admitting I was bisexual and I had never even talked to them before.. like AT ALL 😂
    Oh and I've blocked a few people that have just been incredibly rude to me for no apparent reason at all, not sorry at all.

• Oh, there are many out there who do it out of ignorance or fearing a challenging response - i. e., something they can't respond to because they know they're wrong and not very bright... xD

• I usually get blocked because the person thinks their right and doesn't want to argue with me, or because the person wants to make it seem like I'm attacking them or what you called the 'final word'. On one of my questions I mentioned that I didn't feel comfortable with people taking pictures of me and posting it online without me acknowledging first. I argued back and forth with this guy about it because I tried to explain that he can't undermine my feelings and that they are not wrong just because he disagreed with it. The guy blocked me which was a bit upsetting because it made me feel like he thought that I was being annoying when he was the one who was forcing his opinion on me. On a question about attention whores I gave my opinion saying that the asker could just ignore them. She blocked me and fixed my grammar calling me an attention whore

• I don't even block people on my Facebook. Unless somebody is harrasing me, I can go all day debating my point and I can just as easily forget they even exist.

• i don't block people, if a person doesn't agree with me or is a racist then i just ignore them by not replying anymore. i get blocked sometimes for the reasons above but i don't bother blocking them back.

• I block people a lot. Usually it's because they're creepy (either they ask me weird questions and are quite persistent, they send me pictures, or ask for my phone number. Ick.). I also block people if they're rude or insulting.

• I got blocked for my race before. Some guy blocked me because I was black and that we are "eliminating the white race". I was just like, lol k.

• Yeah the blocking has gotten kind of crazy.

I only started blocking recently and it's due to the same reasons you listed on the first part.

• All blocked people on my list are creeps. I block people who are rude and obnoxious to me for a little while after warning them that if they don't leave me alone I will block them, then I will unblock them (they usually don't bother me after that).

• Obnoxious is a matter of personal opinion, you may be easily offend or not, it is all subjective.

• Great take. Now if every one would read it GAG would be a better place.

• I'm both.
    :)

• I block some people for a few resions one I block people if there being creepy or asking me weird questions that creep me out and to I block people if there being mean to me

• I block people that offend me. When they call me names or insult me...

• Does insult includes saying stuff you don't like hearing, because nobody block any body without any reason, but what's constitutes insults is a matter of personal opinion?

For instance saying you are pro life or pro choice is enough to be insulting for some, pro gay rights or against homosexuality, or being religious or anti religious is considered insulting for some.

• @oracle12c if someone said "I don't think that gays should get married" I'd be like "I respect your opinion even though it's wrong". But if they said "all gays should kill themselves" then they would be blocked.

• "all gays should kill themselves" is antagonistic/offensive and should be reported, so that's a legitimate reason for blocking as well.

• More from Girls
    5