Keep Questions Open Longer, Editor Improvements, and More!

Hey GAGers!

We've been paying attention to all of your feedback and concerns so we're here to explain some of our latest updates and improvements!

Keep Questions Open Longer

Many of you expressed concern over questions closing after 48 hours of inactivity. So, we have extended this setting to 72 hours instead! This means that questions will not be closed until the Asker selects to close them or after 72 hours of inactivity which means there have been no more new Opinions, Opinion Replies, or Poll Votes in 72 hours.

Editors Can Edit!

Another one of our exciting updates is exclusively designed for our dedicated Editors. Once an Editor's myTake has been submitted and published to the site, they now have access to edit their own myTakes up to 48 hours after submission. Simply click the pencil icon at the bottom of your myTake, and you have the full ability to make changes to your text, images, videos, etc. To learn more about becoming an Editor, click here.

Docked Opinion Bar

Desktop:

Mobile:

You may have already noticed that there is now a new docked bar on question and myTake pages with shortcuts to add an opinion, guys and girls opinions, scroll to the top, and go to the next question or myTake. This will make it easier to navigate around individual question and myTake pages!

No More Mentions for Inactive Users

Some of you expressed confusion over seeing inactive usernames highlighted when someone mentions them. So now, inactive usernames will no longer be turned into hyperlinks with the mention feature.

Bug Fixes!

We fixed a small bug that was messing up the character counter and causing situations where even though the member still had characters left in the counter, he or she couldn't post that piece of content. This should no longer be a problem.

Let us know what you think of these changes in the comments below! We value all of your feedback and opinions. :)

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Girls Said 33

• I would prefer it if we went baCk to when questions never closed

• Finally the editor name reflects the actual definition. I love this !

• Do you make mistakes in myTakes?

• Of course , the errors are usually so small no one notices it. Generally speaking , I think even one error can mess up a perfectly good take or the flow of it.

• Agreed. It's not just mistakes either. You might want to add another thought or something to your work as is an option for questions via updates.

• Love the Editor update! I personally wish that we didn't have the open questions thing tho. I hate having to close questions that are still active to ask new ones.

• great, I like editing

but don't fuck, don't close the questions, simply don't!

• Yay! This is awesome for editors!

• Interesting updates.

The Editor one seems the most useful.

• only people with the editor tag can use the edit feature. and only on mytakes. and only for a limited amount of time.

doesn't sound very useful to me.

• @Dandeus I know but it's still the most useful even though it's for editors only.

Makes sense to make it timed since you don't want people to change to much in a mytake. Editors can be trusted not to abuse that kind of power since they work hard to keep that badge.

• Yes! Glad they added the editing feature!

• There is still no option for us, users to have complete control over closing our questions since the time limit of 72 hours of keeping the questions open. This new rule doesn't attract more users but repulse them in the long run.

• All users should be able to go back and edit their posts

• It's one of those "the rich get richer" and everyone else is left in the dust. I don't see a logical reasoning for having that as an exclusive.

• @Zeanobia it was. There were no myTakes back then at all.

• @YourFutureEx if I look at it as business with their perspective, the sole word that enters my head is "sellout". If I wanted to hear what "editors" think, I'd go to buzzfeed.

• thankz

• Love that we can now click on the comment icon on top to see specifically guys/ girls opinions! :) x

• I dont' see the point in closing questions.

• I am sure all the editors love the feature to be able to edit their Takes! I have seen many comments from them on that matter. I like the new docked task/opinion bar as well. It's clean, though it did take me a second to get to used to not searching for the old buttons. The ability to have questions open longer is nice, though it's not as long as preferred. Better than nothin', though!

• I like the little bar at the top especially on mobile. It's SUPER handy. I just wish the top button was on the other side since it was left bubble on the old system.

• What about getting a notification when someone updates their question

• I do wish we all had the option to edit questions and opinions as we all make mistakes that make us appear illiterate when we aren't

• Extending the time for people to answer questions is great and all people are seeking help and others want to be heard.

But anyways you guys have constantly unecessary changes to this site while we beg and plead for you to put it back the way it was. Whatever happened to our ability to follow questions you promised that it would be returned a long time ago and yet you're tweaking other problems more recent problems.

All I'm saying is if ain't broke don't fix it and don't bite off more than you can chew 😒

• I like the new changes :)
    And not trying to be annoying or anything, but are the down votes ever going to be coming back? A while back there was another post gag made about site improvements and it mentioned that they were coming back but they never did.

• This will help many like me - who can not use computer or network occasionally for about a week because of any of many reasons like, Out of home town for some reason, Examinations, hospital duties for relatives, Social service for Earthquake affected region or drought affected regions and many more. thank you.

• Really? You extend the open time of questions. How hard would it have been to just NOT CLOSE THEM?

• More from Girls
    13

What Guys Said 42

• Being able to edit after submission is great, many times I catch small mistakes that bother me badly, this should help 😁

• Very great ideas and improvements!

• Good one GAG, but we also need improvement on the points.

• NNO NO NO NO.
    media1.giphy.com/media/6OWIl75ibpuFO/giphy.gif
    1) We want the closing of question gone to get over and be done with, we don't want longer closing times, we want it gone.
    2) Thank you for the editor update. Sure to come in handy, but if the editor wants to go anonymous, I don't think this feature should be allowed then.
    3) The rest of the updates are meh.
    What we really want:
    1) More events like Fools day.
    2) Don't block users on their own takes or questions. Some very annoying 'I want the last word and then block you' assholes are really extremely annoying.
    3) Why two notifications for mentions and opinions on the same post? Its annoying.

• I still can't see the edit button on my newer mytakes

• Cool beans

• I just watched a documentary today about korowi (tree people) they are a group of brown people who live in papu in west part of Indonesia. I just realized how none of this even means anything these people lived completely naked and they lived the way people did thousands of years ago they even eat the weirdest insects and commit cannibalism as well yet they seem happier than us and we have all this advanced technology too.

• If the replies to comments on on the answers could get posted closer to the comment and not haphazard, it would be a boon.

If G@g could do away with the mention "Opinion Owner" and show the name of the member it would be a boon too.
    One loses lots of time trying to identify the member by his age.

• I don't like the docked bar. I have to look somewhere completely different to find a "total" count for each sex's opinion count, and the buttons are tiny so it's actually HARDER to navigate.

I preferred the previous one, to be honest. Otherwise, nice update.

Yes, I have 12 questions, and 8 of them are closed by the time I get there.

• nice...

• Why close questions at all. What is that trying to achieve? After 72 hours of inactivity or MHO is selected. If a MHO is not selected within 30 days then one is selected for the question asker which will cause the question to be closed. Most people who join the discussion add their opinion first. Please keep all questions open because no one will see every open question before it is closed. Maybe someone could have had an opinion on a question that is closed thay might have gotten more people in on the discussion about the question. Please leave all questions open.

• I wish they'd quit notifying me every time someone posts a question, comments on one, etc. It just blows up my feed and I don't have time to check this every day.

• Great, like the improvements that were made.

• nice

• "No More Mentions for Inactive Users
    Some of you expressed confusion over seeing inactive usernames highlighted when someone mentions them. So now, inactive usernames will no longer be turned into hyperlinks with the mention feature."

a bad thing in my opinion. now I don't know if someone mispelled the name or if he has deactivated. before, you could just see that he had deactivated by hovering above the name <_<

"We fixed a small bug that was messing up the character counter and causing situations where even though the member still had characters left in the counter, he or she couldn't post that piece of content. This should no longer be a problem."
    oh I guess that one is from me :D

• Yo GaG moderators... we only have THREE spots for questions! We HAVE to delete them to ask other questions! Hello... the solution here is simple.

• Am i still the only one waiting for the downvote? I feel like editor option gonna get outta hand

• If you "value all of your feedback and opinions" then:

Where is the dislike button?
    Why do questions close if inactive?
    When can we follow questions?
    When are all these changes removed?

Those were the things we asked for.

• Finally, some cool updates :)

• More from Guys
    22