5 Reasons Why I Believe Downvote Button Should Be Brought Back

At the beginning, when GAG took away the Downvote button I was indifferent and I was believing, it will be brought back after a week or so, since I was sure most users wouldn't like it, but now it's been around 2 months, since Downvote Button was abolished. I believe it'd be better if it was brought back. After all they promised they will. Perhaps here I agree with most users, that it should be brought back.

(In alphabetical order)

1) A Promise Is A Promise.

Well normally it should be mentioned last, since it will make more sense that way, but since I chose to go in alphabetical order, I will mention it first. It's been 2 months since it's being expected. At some point they said it will be brought back, but still nothing happened.

2) Getting in trouble less, with other users.

Why? Many people would rather to just hit "Dislike" instead of going under someone's post, and point out what they don't like about it. And once they do, chances are the guy/girl who made the post, will respond back and again chances are, a fight will start. A "Dislike" button saves you from trouble, in that case.

3) It doesn't benefit you, when you chose to go always Anonymous.

I chose to go always anonymous. When I disagree with someone's opinion about something, I'm technically unable to comment on his/her post, so I just want to hit "Dislike". Now there's nothing I can do. It's more or less being handcuffed.

4) Most people want it back

From what I've seen they want it back. I should also mention, I don't get along with most people here and I disagree a lot with them, but in that case I agree with them. I believe it's only fair to bring it back, because that's what the majority of people want. There are things others like and others dislike, but the fair thing is, to go along with the majority when you run a site. Still the final decision, it's up to the Administration team.

5) The opposite of the "Like" button.

Since there's a "Like" button, then there should be a dislike button too. It's just logical. It wouldn't make sense either, if there was a just a "Dislike" button. So it seems more logical to have either both or nothing.

I'm aware there were people who were abusing the Downvote button function, but still you cannot throw away something useful, just for a few people.

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Girls Said 7

• If they add the dislike button back, it should have some type of use... like: If a post or opinion gets enough dislikes, it should be reviewed by a moderator and if it's against guidelines it will be removed and the person who posted it will get a warning or temp ban... I don't know

• I against down bottom cause it doesn't serve to anything

• At first I thought it was bad idea but now I think it would be good to down vote the obvious trolls.

• They should bring it back because they said they were going to bring it back.
    www.girlsaskguys.com/.../a25903-less-opinions-on-more-questions-privacy-notifications

Promises shouldn't be broken.

• I'm waiting on lots of unfulfilled promises from Bush, but no biggie. And the US actually is significant unlike Gag (no offense admins).

• @ConsultantIsBack yeah yeah

I mean, I really don't care all that much about the downvote button, and it's... amusing how many people DO care so much. But, yeah, I think you know how I am about that whole keeping-promises thing.

• I LOVE this take! all reasons are valid..
    @GirlsAskGuys
    @xHoneyxBeex

• As we've already said, the down vote is coming back in a future update. :)

• Great Take in my opinion #5 is the best reason on your list.

• I never used the downvote button. It's irrelevant to me. Even if someone downvoted my opinion it wouldn't change my view... they're set in stone lol

What Guys Said 9

• I bet all you passive aggressive pussies are dying to down vote lol

• 1) They never promised it, they said they were looking into bringing it back, but nothing sure.

2) Pussy.

3) Pussy.

4) Most people on here are pussies.

5) There's no need for both, if you think in a logical way.

• I agree with you dude, people would get carried away with it and downvote you for the dumbest shit. You seem like an outspoken guy so people would do it to you not necessarily because they don't agree with you but because they don't like that aspect about you.

• @jwhit Yeah, I had that happen when the downvote existed. Downvotes don't really affect anything, but it's just a platform for cowards and trolls. If they disagree, they can either move on, or say something, but downvoting just seems cowardly.

• I'd like it back if it was required that you post a comment of why you've disagreed. A count of people who disagree is not informative..

• Will we be able to do it anonymously though?

• I mean, that could be fine, but I don't think anonymous comments are currently possible on this site. Not that it's something they couldn't fix. If they are anonymous, though, then they should be contestable. I. e. if people go anonymous just to say "blah blah blah, filler filler filler" as a response so they don't have to explain why they disagree, it shouldn't count.

• I remember it but never used it as I said before, all opinions are valid, I'd rather see a dislike button. Either way doesn't change my opinion, I'll not change yours either.

• GaG Confession: I only wanted the dislike button back so that I can know if my troll is succesful...

• I really don't care if they bring it back.
    I'd prefer for them to improve the search bar so it's easier to look up questions about certain topics, for them to add the option for multi question polls.

For example

Question 1: A B C D
    Question 2: A B C D
    And then be able to see what percentage of people who voted B for question 1 happened to vote C for question 2.

• it feels more satisfying to tell a motherfucker to go fuck himself

http://i.makeagif.com/media/8-20-2015/i9ncun.gif

than to press a button

• "A "Dislike" button saves you from trouble, in that case."

"I chose to go always anonymous. When I disagree with someone's opinion about something, I'm technically unable to comment on his/her post, so I just want to hit "Dislike". Now there's nothing I can do. It's more or less being handcuffed."

These quotes from your myTake pretty much sums up a lot of the really bad arguments for bringing back the downvote. It's basically a matter of "convenience" so the downvoter can quckly do a drive-by downvote, without actually having to put words together to coherently (or not) respond to what they don't like about the opinion. And the idea that the pro-downvote crowd are being (gasp!) "handcuffed" is ridiculous. You're free to respond to anything you like if you want to. No one's taking that ability away. I think GAG was right to do away with the downvote as a way to get people to actually provide substantive replies to opinions they disagreed with. That's pretty much keeping with the entire ethos of GAG anyway.

• I completely agree, they should bring it back.