My First Visit to a Mosque Was a Life-Changing Event

A first visit to the Mosque.

The other day I was watching a French movie based on a true story called L’Apotre. The movie is about a young French Muslim guy, Akim, who is learning to become an imam just like his uncle. In the beginning of the movie Akim meets Fabien, a Christian guy, and they become friends. Fabien invites Akim for the baptism of his daughter in the church, an offer he can’t refuse as friend in his opion. It will be the first time in a church and like expected this will be a life changing moment for him. It’s a pretty predictable movie, he becomes Christian and his family and former Muslim friends don’t like that, he even got beaten up.

Although the movie is a bit predictable it has won several awards and so maybe it’s worth to watch. Reviews tell that this movie brings peace but I have read that in France this movie wasn’t in the theatres because of fear for negative reactions. How can a movie be good for peace but at the same time it has to be feared because of possible negative reactions?

Why I am telling this? Well because while I was watching this movie I had to think about my first time visiting a mosque. It wasn’t a life changing moment for me in the way it was for Akim.

A few years ago I went on vacation to Sarajevo (see picture below), the capital of Bosnia and Herzegovina (a country in Eastern Europe). This city is described as the meeting place between east and west, the beating heart of the Balkan. On walking distance you can find a catholic church, an orthodox church, a synagogue and a mosque. I decided to visit them all but because this mytake is about first time I just telling about my visit to the mosque.

Not far from the place where the Franz Ferdinand has been killed on June 28th of 1914 is the emperor’s mosque located (see picture above) a gift to sultan Mehmed II and build in the 15th century. I had seen mosques before, in my city there are also mosques, but they are honestly ugly in my opinion. But this one was much different, sincerely I could say I liked the way how it looked like.

I think it’s important to respect the customs of a religions and especially when you visit their holy place. When I enter a church I make the sign of the cross and make a knee bow and now I took off my shoes.

Except me there was no one, so I could look around without someone to bother me but unfortunately because of that there wasn’t anyone to give me more information. The first thing I noticed was that weren’t any benches or chairs to sit and secondly the red carpet on the floor. Don’t know if the carpet on the floor was the reason to take off shoes but at the moment I thought that was a good explanation. Don't know why but I expected to find just like in the church a place to light a candle or a place for silent prayer. Another thing that attracted my attention was …well don’t know what it is or which function it has but it made me thinks about a door and maybe it's indeed a door don't know.

Another good thing about the fact there was no one was that I were able to make as much pictures as I want without disturbing anybody. First after entering I felt a bit uncomfortable to be there as a Christian in the mosque. I realized this was also a house of prayer, a house of God. So I sat down and prayed.

#GaGWritingContest

vekin is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Girls Said 12

• Good take. I'm Muslim and one of my great friends is Christian, we often go to each others places of worship for special events or just on the most holy day of each others (mine Friday, hers Sunday)
    I love when people go to each others places of worship, it's really kind and open minded of them and I believe if everybody from every religion did so the world would be a nicer more tolerant place. There's no reason they shouldn't mix or shouldn't get along, especially since Abrahamic religions are actually closely linked and when you look into it are quite similar.

• And together praying?

• Yes, we pray together. She doesn't know some of the Islamic prayers in Arabic but she will respectfully pray silently, pray in English, or just sit with us. My dad has friends he has similar friendships with, he's Muslim and has Jewish and Christian friends he practices with and debates religion with. Even a pastor and an imam both come to see him to pray and talk and have a nice time.

• That is great!

• Anything with pisitive effects or influence worth noting will always have backlash of some sort.. Just the way the world works. People must have balance between love and hate.

• Imteresting. I would like to see this from the perspective of a Christian woman and if the experience would be any different.

• About the movie. I believe it got many negative reactions, because in islam, it's really bad to leave your religion. Quran says there's no compulsion in religion. At the same time though, islam considers itself both a religion and a state. So in many cases, when someone leaves islam, many believe it's like they're committing treason, which is punishable by death in many cases. These people get this from a Hadith. So the person who leaves islam often ends up physically hurt or they go into hiding.

Nonetheless, I'm glad you found your experience fruitful.

• Negative reactions because the movie isn't good or because it is about conversion to Christianity?

• Because of the conversion. Like I said, there are many fundamentalist muslims who don't take conversion out of islam lightly, even if it was just for a sake of a movie. I'd suggest you look up the stories of ex-muslims. Many of them get death threats from other muslims just for leaving islam. It's really sad.

• Yes very very sad but still many take the risk to converse

• Glad u found it nice there and in happy to see an open minded Christian when it comes to those things! :) And by the way, u said u thought there would be a place with a candle for silent praying.. But that's what we basically do always.. U can silently pray wherever u want, and the mosque is usually calm and relaxing in there so u can pray silently wherever u want! :))

• I have seen that muslims also visit sometimes and church and so i thought why not me a mosque

Of course I know it's a house of prayer but still I thought maybe there is place when you want more privacy

• Yes, I visited a church once as well and it was nice!
      ah yeah now I get what u mean :)

• Cool and that was very nice of you to respect like that. :-)

• Nice take!

• Nice to see someone else who is also not afraid to look past the differences

Because some things indeed unite us

I find it beautiful that you still prayed, as a Christian, in a mosque

• Cool story bro.

• Cool experience. This year I visited a mosque for the first time. :) It was also a learning center. It was for a class I was in. Honestly, it wasn't life changing, but it was a valuable experience. Everyone was different, they had different interpretations of Islam, different lifestyles, but they were unified under Islam. And a few people gave the students, me included :3, food afterwards. The brownies were the most delicious dessert I've ever had from a house of worship. (sorry hometown church)

• The life changing part wasn't my choice, complained about this, valueble experience is a good way to decribe it yes

Anyway thank you for reading

• No prob, great mytake, and good luck in the contest.

• Thank you very much! You also good luck!

• Nice one. I've been to almost all praying places, except Zoroastrian fire temple. But then they don't allow non-Zoroastrian inside it.

• after my sister's first visit to a mosque Muslim men raped her outside

What Guys Said 13

• I like how open minded this was.
    Good on you.
    Good take

• I am not into religions. As Napoleon (If I wrote this french guy's name correctly) said religion keeps poor people from killing rich people.

He is right. Poor people who are afraid of God and cannot kill Rich people.

• Nice take. So you are Catholic right?

I have already been in a "mosque" before when I was living in Japan. Actually I was invited by a close Muslim friend to a guy's home who served as mosque. At least I could enjoy their food after being with them in the prayer, maybe it was their supper.

Just one thing that I didn't like is that they were demanding me to give money. Suddenly I felt uncomfortable with that situation.. But my friend intervened said some arabic words to the others and they kept quiet. He said to me again, "you are my guest here you don't need to pay anything". Good old times with that guy

• I am catholic yes

Food taste better when it's free lol

• hey kevin could you follow me? i want to leave you an important message thanks

• come to think of it, I have never been to a mosque, I'd definitely like to try, but someone gotta accompany me XD
    Also, you shouldn't be feeling uncomfortable in visiting man-made structures... unless it's the ladies toilet.

• Islam is perfect

• Church

• You could write a similar story about any religion. You could also write a story regarding a completely negative experience with any religion. You can be critical of any religion and have an honest conversation or no one would even so much bat an eyelash. However only being critical of Islam gets you labeled a bigot or in worst case put your life at risk. We should appreciate all points of view and what they have to offer so long as we are not blind to the negatives they bring.

• when did he even criticise islam? XD

• @HookingSwan i had the same question

• @HookingSwan the article didn't but i think you missed the point and I'll try and reword it.

The article puts Islam in a positive light. An article could be written for any religion in the same way. However Islam is the only religion that when criticising brings reasonable risk being labeled a bigot at best and death threats at worst. Which is why a positive article can get so much attention.

• I visited a mosque once. Forgot to take off my shoes. Let's just say, holy shit.

• 😂😂😂😂😂😂

• There's rarely any understanding with muslims. They had to clean the carpet because I stepped on it with my "filthy shoes". Their collective mentality is stuck in the daily patterns of the seventh century. They have no idea why they're doing things the way they do.

• 😂😂😂

• uh. took too long to get to the point. didn't read

• I went to a Mosque a few years ago and told them I wanted to learn more about the Muslim religion.

I told them that Just like Mohammad I wanted to have sex with a 9 year old little girl. They got pretty mad until we all figured out that I meant to my 9 year old wife. then it was all good with them. One of the older guys offered up his 9 year old daughter for marriage!

After a few months we where happily married.. well I was, but she would cry a lot.. that was over a year ago and I started to get sick of her and she was getting kind of old for my tastes (just had her 10th birthday)

Anyway I told her father that she was being unfaithful and he and a few of the others stoned her to death. so now i'm looking for a new bride! there is this real nice looking girl I have my eye on but she is only 5 and her father said I have to wait until she is at least 6, (just like Mohammad) I can't wait!

Finally somewhere where pedophilia is not only accepted but idolized!

• saying that about specific religion is horrible. Even Jesus himself won't like it. shame on you. :(

• @wxyc423 but why you keep discussing here when you could have known the result already?

• @wxyc423 I understand that barbaric practices where normal back then. But Muhammad was the prophet of Allah (god), he had a direct link to Allah. For you to say that pedophilia is immoral is saying that Muhammad was immoral and then he would be a false prophet. What you are saying is offensive to Muslims.
      I'm agreeing with them, you are not

• Mosques are very peaceful place, you really feel comfortable and reassured.

• Yes, they are so peaceful that they peacefully keep guns, ammo and bombs in there and maybe something more to make extra cash. Cocaine, weed etc.
      So peaceful.

• @Ghassan I am not from America and if you think Im close minded, think again. It is us who suffer from you people here in Europe. Of course you will like the typical muslim lie to the inferior infidel and call him close minded. Don't bother, I am not a libtard self hating beta male cocksucker or a feminist who asks to be raped by muslim invaders. I know about your pedophile prophet and how you look at infidels as inferior people.

• @TheFlak38 Calm down Flak. We're all angry about what's happening. But there's no need to be rude.

• Ah that's cool , about the door you meant the one with the stairs or the one on the walls lol