GaG Writing Contest: Time to Get Noticed

As we continue to beat the bushes for wonderfully creative and opinionated people, we want to give these talented individuals even more exposure.

Last month, we ran a very popular writing contest with the theme, "Your Best 'First' Story," which resulted in lots of submissions, many of which were great. A lot of people stepped up and delivered some fantastic pieces, including unique myTakes that were a lot of fun to read. Not long after that contest ended, we got plenty of requests for another contest.

Well, we're obliging. This time, however, the contest has a twist:

We want to see who can generate the most views with their work.

This is in direct response to requests from users who would like to see how their Takes do, in terms of overall views (from both inside and outside the site). While we won't be implementing such a feature right now, we do appreciate writers who simply want to know if their work spread far and wide. After all, we all write so others can enjoy our opinions, correct? What's the point if nobody reads it?

So, this time, the contest is simple: The person who snags the most overall views with their Take wins and yes, there will be a second and third prize again. Same deal as before and again, we'll hand out six total awards, three for each gender:

First Prize: $25 Amazon Gift Card

Second Prize: +1,000 XPER

Third Prize: +500 XPER

To enter, simply have an account (and yes, you can post your submission anonymously) and submit your Take with the #SeeMyWork hashtag somewhere in the text. That's all you need to do to enter.

Now, creating a Take that gets a lot of views requires skill and an understanding of what works online. We recommend checking out helpful articles like this, and you should also keep a close eye on the main page, which is where the best - and often the most popular - Takes end up. You can also check the list of Promoted Takes, which is a useful resource. Lastly, simply jump around online and see what types of content tend to be popular.

And I know what you're thinking: "Oh, this isn't about quality." But it is. Poorly crafted pieces, no matter how trending or how hot the content, don't go anywhere. As a perfect example, the winner of our last writing contest penned a fantastic piece and it was widely shared online. It wasn't because of the topic or any imagery used; it was because it was well done.

Granted, topics and presentation do matter, but without the quality, nothing happens. And yeah, you can "cheat" by sending the link to your Take to all your friends, sharing it on your social media channels, etc. Actually, we don't see that as cheating at all, and we encourage you to do it all the time, anyway. :P

Digital content creation and presentation is going to be one of the most marketable creative skills in the future, if it isn't already. And trust us, it's a very specified ability that you really won't fine-tune by writing those essays in English class. What matters most in the digital space? Things like title, readability, media, etc. Many of you have received some tips from me in regards to proper content presentation, and I suggest you use that feedback (many of you already do). Oh, and sex and relationship topics DO NOT ALWAYS FARE BETTER than other pieces, especially with the variety we're seeing at GaG now. So don't assume...

This contest begins immediately and will run until 11:59 p.m. EDT on June 24. All submissions must be received before this date. Good luck! If you have any questions, feel free to ask me. And by the way, you can enter as many times as you like. :)

Fathoms77 is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Girls Said 18

How does one enter in this contest? It used to be by people providing the links of their takes, but so far I have observed that no one has done that.

Says it in the piece; place the hashtag #SeeMyWork in the text somewhere. :)

So I'll probably lose! O wellz!

Well, you never know. I think people might be surprised at the results, but we'll see...

And don't forget that you can enter as many times as you wish. :)

Hah hah, I know the perfect topics that get everyone riled up on GAG. Not sure if I'll enter the contest yet.

ok then... even tho i've never won any of these contest :(

Maybe. I'm unsure. I'll think about it I guess.

Does the amazon voucher include those in Australia?

I never win these things. :P Hopefully I win because I need the money.

Sounds interesting but I know I won't win, I never win contests but will do it for the hell of it. XD

It ends on my birthday! Lol, this is gonna be difficult but I'm gonna fucking try.

Lol the chances of me or anyone else winning these contests are little to none 😐

I feel like these competitions are just turning more and more into a popularity contest. No doubt more than half the winners will be editors and the other half the most popular users on the site. It's just a click bait popularity contest and it's a shame because it's so off putting to a lot of people who want to write and are good at it but never get noticed.

Agreed. And people with a lot of followers will have the advantage.

I never said you did or didn't make Pavlove an Editor. I'm just pointing out that not only was he made an editor but he was also made Editor of the month, which as I remember was met with a what? From a lot of users. I'm not trying to argue, I just would like to see more variation and less of a popularity contest. We get it, Editors are good at what they do but there are plenty of good writers that aren't editors. It would be nice if the site was more encompassing than turning it into a club where people don't even want to try because they'll be overlooked in favour of who's cool and who has the most followers. This contest could attract new users who might be better than some of the Editors but again, popularity wins.

Also seems I'm not the only person who thinks this.

I vote we do a photography contest next.

Actually, we're talking about a video contest. You now, a make-your-own YouTube vid with a theme, something like that. :)

So, from what I gather, there is no set subject. The Take can be about anything, correct?

Also, can one person take all 3 prizes, if he/she writes 3 different popular mytakes?

I think it's about who gets the most view not which take gets the most views.

The Take can be about anything. And no, three different people will win for this; you can only win one of the awards. :)

So basically you're holding a clickbait popularity contest?

I think this is a bit pointless if you're not an editor, as their work (to my knowledge) automatically gets featured so they have a ridiculous advantage over us.

Are editors allowed? And if so, are there separate contests for us and them? Because as I said, they have an unfair advantage.

Read comments below. No, their work is not automatically Featured, only Promoted.

Virtually every Take I have written gets featured literally over night and I am not an editor. If you write well about contentious topics you will get featured.

@JRICHARDS1996 lol point proven.

They don't care about quality anymore, they want controversy

I am all over this. I love writing poetry. Wrote one just for this contest.

"We want to see who can generate the most views with their work"
    lmfaoo y'all aren't even trying to hide ur true intentions anymore :P

I'd love to enter, but I don't want or need the gift card. Could I get the XPER that it would take to get the gift card, if I were to get 1st?

I'm not an editor :/
    No one would click on it hahaha

What Guys Said 14

I got this contest in the bag with how much my views offend people ;) I'm already halfway done with my submission.

This one definitely sounds like a challenge. But. I wanna see if I can pull it off again. Will take some thinking.

Sounds good I'll do one.

Are we allowed to resubmit an old mytake or does it have to be new?

It should be new.

Yeah I just realized that it has to be since with old mytakes you can't add that hashtag in I feel stupid lol.

Time for girls to change their avatar to their bikini pics.

waste of time, I'll pass

1. it goes by number of views, which means the quality of your myTake doesn't matter AT ALL. It's 50% your popularity and 50% clickbait title.
    2. thanks to the great idea of hiding non-featured myTakes almost completely from the people, the risk that no one will see it if you're not already an Editor is very big.

not well thought out, as many things on GAG

"And I know what you're thinking: "Oh, this isn't about quality." But it is. Poorly crafted pieces, no matter how trending or how hot the content, don't go anywhere. As a perfect example, the winner of our last writing contest penned a fantastic piece and it was widely shared online. It wasn't because of the topic or any imagery used; it was because it was well done."

You get the click once you've opened the myTake. No need to read it, so I don't see how it can be about quality

@JRICHARDS1996 no but you write offensive stuff which automatically is click bait. Pretty much the same thing.

@Blonde401 The femininity one wasn't. That was a celebration of women :)

getting ur my take read is basically a popularity contest. the most popular people on here are going to win, i know who will win the first prize

Lol...

I got $25 for writing "It's a dick in a box" a year or so ago :D :D :D

I won't enter to give everyone else a chance...

Anyone who wants me to spam their takes with views, let me know. We'll talk about repayment later lol

Can you just make the most clickbait bullshit like "why vegans are superior", "Islam is not peace" "you are all losers" I mean how hard can this be eh.

If it's so easy, you should win without a problem, right? ;)

oh yes I have done multiply another account got banned (7k xper unreedemed aswell lol) but I know you guys monitor mytakes so I'll tone it down to nothing but clickbait controversy bullshit, but srs how long til it's unfrozen it's been a few days my last freezing was quick or is it now permenant.

I really don't know, that's not my department. Ask xHoneyxBeex

Not that i really give a fuck as i dont write takes and wouldn't really bother enterring anyway, But, This competition seems rather unfair.

Correct me if im wrong, But, Do Editors not get all of their Takes instantly promoted, Whereas everyone else has a slim to no fucking chance at all of that happening? So.. Basically this competition is literally only open to the small numbers of editors (I notice almost every time you announce winners theyre always editors).

It seems its rather unfair, And the fact you're judging it views, Something which comes from promotion, Something editors instantly get, Just seems a little unfair is all, All an editor has to do is make a take with an insane/bold name and theyve pretty much won, Regardless of what they actually write.

As i said, I dont really write takes, so, this competition couldnt mean shit to me, Haha, but.. just saying, Seems pretty unfair to everyone who isn't an editor.

You don't write Takes, so you don't understand the process.

Yes, Editors have their Takes automatically promoted, but ANYBODY can get a Take Promoted and Featured. If it's good enough, it's good enough. And in the last contest, half of the winners were not Editors.

No, the point doesn't stand at all. But whatever.

I agree. I've read really good takes from non editors, and essentially mediocre garbage from editors.

They have an unfair advantage in this. I'll probably still submit, but I'm almost sure I don't stand a chance when editors are allowed in this lol

I would lose simply due a lack of popularity.

Maybe next month. :D

Actually a serious request on my part. For this "total views" thing, can you make it toggleable? I never want to know how many people see what i post.

It's not an available feature right now, and we won't make any exact numbers public, so you'll never know, anyway.

I can cope so long as i can opt out of whatever gradient system. Or just naturally don't fall in it. Which is now my goal.

OK I had one topic in my mind from before, so I'm gonna "cast" this one for the contest.