GaG User Video Contest: "One Burning Question" (UPDATE)

Everyone seems to like contests. :) In the past few months, we've held two very successful contests; there was the share your best "first" story (see winners here) and the recent "time to get noticed" contest (see winners here), and here comes a third.

While we'll definitely go back to standard writing contests - likely with specific topics and themes - we're changing the format this time: It's a video contest!

We've seen some users asking whether or not they can submit videos to GirlsAskGuys and really, it's a great idea. So, we’re giving you the opportunity to step in front of the camera (or behind it, if you’d rather), and share something your GaG brethren – and the rest of the digital world – will really love. Here are the details:

-- You have three weeks, starting today, to put together your submission. No submissions will be accepted after Sunday, July 24 at 11:59 p.m. EST.

-- The video should be between 30 seconds and 5 minutes in length.

-- Choose ONE QUESTION or ONE POLL you've seen on GaG to ask your friends, family, or even perfect strangers. How you record the responses is entirely up to you; it can be a reporter-on-the-street segment of sorts, or you can get your friends together for a cozy group session. Remember, you want good reactions from the people you ask, so try to select universally hot topics!

-- When you’re done, upload it to YouTube so the vid can then be embedded in a myTake. If you're unfamiliar, to embed a video in a Take, use the video icon in the tool bar at the top of the text box, or simply copy and paste the URL of the vid into the box. Also, remember to Introduce your video with a few lines.

-- Remember to put #GaGVideoContest somewhere in the text in the Take.

-- You ARE allowed to make more than one submission. Want to create three different vids where you address three different polls/questions? Go right ahead! Just make sure to make a separate myTake for each, and don't forget the #GaGVideoContest.

-- The same rules that apply to myTakes apply here, so NO offensive or explicit content is allowed in the video. If it has any such content, it will be disqualified. You can certainly use a love or sex-based question or poll for your video, but just make sure the content is decent.

Prizes

1st Place: $100 Amazon Gift Card

2nd Place: $50 Amazon Gift Card

3rd Place: $25 Amazon Gift Card

Videos will be judged on quality, entertainment and engagement, and overall presentation. You don't have to be a vid expert to win; make people laugh and keep them intrigued and you're good to go.

Be interesting! Be creative! Be funny! You can approach this video any way you wish; just be sure to make it plain which question or poll you'll be tackling, and then invent your own presentation. We're excited to see your efforts! :D

Update: Well, doesn't look like anybody wanted to do this one. :P But one member definitely stepped up:

@blondfrog

He produced not just one but three user videos for this contest and though we can't say there was any "contest" to speak of, we can't just say we're canceling everything. So we've tossed blondfrog a $25 Amazon Gift Card as a thank you and next time, we're going to do a contest that lets users do what they wish (myTake, video, whatever), and they can create that content however they see fit.

Stay tuned!

Fathoms77 is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Girls Said 20

@blondfrog he should get more xper too!

Yeah I don't know why he said $25 I actually was given a $50 amazon gift card unless fathoms made a typo.

Question: Is 5 minutes the maximum time?

Well, yeah, we don't really want it to go much over that, but if it's like 6 minutes or something we won't get all bent out of shape. :)

Aww... didn't see yours. :(

Honestly I had begun working on it but work and getting sick got in the way, so I never ended up finishing it in time I'm afraid. Perhaps if there's another contest like this in the future, I'll finish it and post it.

attention seekers are gon love dis.. and also i never win at these contests anyways so...
    media.giphy.com/media/698eHSeOrRRg4/giphy.gif

I know right... In my head I was just like oooooooooooo im going to have a spotlight OMGEEEEE yayayayayayayay!!!

Oh, attention seekers will love this contest. xD

Eh, I might try it, but I have to find people to interview first lol

Welp, I can't do this contest. If this was a thing where you could just record your voice and say stuff, that would be fine. Involving people is a no go. I don't have anyone to talk to in real life and it's rare if I talk to family members often.

Well, I hate taking videos of myself so I'm gonna be left out of this one. :)

here's one contest i can't enter lol

wholly molly! Thats crazy! lol Did you raise the price or what? lol

Could I just ask myself or become a schizophrenic? I have no friends!

How do you submit

Go to Post at the top of the page, and hit Share myTake. Then write an introduction and embed your video into the text box. Just copy and paste the YouTube address of your video. :)

i want to see the vids

I'll try, but the chances of me winning is none lol.

Question: Do the people have to speak English in the video, or can the video have subtitles?

Um... well, if the translation is good, I guess it's okay to have subtitles, provided the rest of the quality is decent.

Sounds enticing.

I wish I could make a little animation video

Hey! Dont take my idea!

Haha

@BaileyisDarcy oil I need proper software too haha caz I don't have a computer atm

@blondfrog
      ...
      Why would I do that when I can draw straight onto my laptop? That is actually the hard way of going about animating. Traditional frame by frame animation is the hardest form, and that still poses the problem of making the images into a film, not a gif.

I do frame by frame (unless I decide to go 3D animation) but never traditional. Ctrl+Z is my friend.

Meh, I'd be interested if I didn't have to deal with feckin stalkers.

I have no movie-making application on my computer.
    I do not have much friends, let alone friends who are interested in discussing GirlsAskGuys topics.
    I am not willing to put my name on something related to sex, gender, and politics.

So yeah, I am opting out of this one. :P

Wait, I have MS PowerPoint. I can make PowerPoint slideshows. But then, I don't have the best-sounding voice to do a voice-over. Leaving out a voice-over could cut points in my overall score.

Not necessarily. Some of the most creative vids out there have no voices. :)

Okay, I'll try. But I'm so tired of losing these contests

Lmfaoo fuck yes.
    I'm gonna win this one loooool

What Guys Said 20

Hmmmm. If I had enough people to ask I would do this. I love on-the-street type questions, you get some of the best answers that way. The subway would be a great place to do it, but I worry that a lot of people will be annoyed by me asking at random, lol.

Depends on where you are, I think. If it was a major city like NY or SF or something, I'm willing to bet perfect strangers are used to being approached with just this type of thing on a weekly basis. :P

Lol I like you man as an admin you're actually one of the few I actually like, but I hope this wasn't your idea lol. I mean how should I approach the video? Just go up to random people in public or even my college area and ask them questions about sexual topics or any other topic on GAG? And how do I get them to accept the interview? Or should I lie to them and tell them I am an actual reporter working for Girlsaskguys website?

You have friends, yes?

@Mustachekitteh Yeah I guess I could do that never really thought of that lol.

It would be badass if you pull it off. ^^

Too lazy to get out of my seat.

Nobody I know in my personal life knows about this site nor knows I am on here, and personally I like that.

Oh loom another popularity contest no thanks.

Do you realize how long a videos editing process is?

Certainly not longer than 3 weeks. ;)

And we're not expecting ridiculous amounts of editing. Most videos tossed up on YouTube are put there by people who have no idea about video editing.

good luck with that.

A video that has to have my voice and maybe even my face? No thanks.
    But I'm sad that I missed the share your best first contest, I would have liked to enter that, why wasn't it announced anywhere? I go on this site every day and I never saw those contests, they should make them easier to spot. This time I got lucky and happened to look in that little corner where it was announced

The previous contest was announced and promoted. If you're on this site every day, there's basically zero chance you would've missed it.

Well, I'm sorry it's so difficult for you, but I don't think you can quite call it poor design if all the other people in previous contests, many of them returning for this and the other contest, who are also pretty frequent users of GAG, seemed to find it. You may personally feel it's bad design, but its working out pretty well for most others. I mean the last thing I want is MySpace 2.0 with a bunch of flashing lights and graphics and all kinds of loud designs flapping around the place.

I bet most people don't see it, just there are so many people on this site that there are still a lot who do. I don't want that kind of design either but they could do that thing they sometimes do with the the little pink bar with a message under the blue bar at the top, where you click the X once you've read it, that's noticable without being annoying. Or just make a new box to put it in (that looks a bit different) instead of putting it in that stupid white box that nobody reads

It's unfair because some people would ask others to fake their reactions in the video so that they can easily win. lol

Please see the rules above; all submissions have to go into a separate myTake with a title and a brief text intro. :)

Hoho. Yeah, I'm not working for GAG advertisement.

lol nah

Hm... interesting, I hope I come up with a good idea.

clever... enticing people w/ $$ to market GaG.

can i just post a video of bouncing my pecs?

I already won one contest on here. Time to go 2 for 2!

I've a great idea for this but not the budget. Hope we'll have this contest again when I'll get a job in a few years.

Hope I'll still stay that much insane by then.

Cool I guess

If I put mosaic on my face and create a separate YouTube account just for this MyTake, it won't count?

AH I've got a good idea but I'm too much of a pussy to actually do it.