One GaG Update, Two Great New Features!

One update, two new great features

Over the last couple of weeks our team worked on several small bug fixes and improvements that went live yesterday on GirlsAskGuys. Some of them are things you can’t see, so I won’t bore you with technical details even though it’s definitely important to keep things working well under the hood.

The highlights of this update are two new features we hope you’ll enjoy using: the ability to invite other people to share opinions on your questions and browser notifications. Here’s what you need to know:

Get notified

As nice is it can be to go back to GirlsAskGuys and find a number of opinions and replies waiting for you, we believe timely responses can make interactions and the whole experience more interesting for our community.

So we now support instant notifications on two of the most popular web browsers: Firefox and Chrome. You can turn it on by visiting the Settings page and looking for “Browser notifications” in the “Notifications” section. Just click the “Manage” button and you should be all set up.

You can also go back there at any time to disable the notifications if you need. But please don’t.

Get more opinions

The other feature we introduced to GirlsAskGuys is the ability to invite someone to share an opinion on your question. Some of you already did that by mentioning people, so we took the hint and made the whole process easier.

You can do that from your question page either by using the menu accessible via the three vertical dots on the right upper corner of the question section or by clicking the “Invite Friends” button at the end of the page. Then it’s just a matter of adding the people you think would have a great opinion on that subject and hit “Invite Now” to send them a notification.

Alternatively, you can do it from another member’s profile page or from your own Follows page. Just choose “Invite to My Question” and then select from one of your open questions.

This is it for now. We’re already working on the next update, but I won’t give any spoilers. See you around!

DiogoRibeiro is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Girls Said 10

• I'm already getting invited to a lot of questions, so I can only imagine it getting busier for me, haha. Good initiative on your part as people would just tag you all the time anyway. I hope there's a way to turn off those invitations because I can see it becoming a huge a problem for some people. Though it's nice to be considered as someone they think will give good opinions on their questions. :)

• Interesting updates.

• Is there a way to block invitations to people's questions?

• So... just so I understand clearly... It's against the rules for people to spam "omg look at my post" but you guys literally gave people a way to be like "omg look at my post".

Is that right?

Are you all also aware of the bug where when you click on notification and go to that page the notification is still on the bar until you leave that page?

• I like the option to invite friends.

• I love the new updates, and I hope the next update will be about editing question, or maybe ability to put more videos in the polls. :) 👏

• Cool update, bravo GaG 👌

• Will you ever bring chat back? And when will you have an app?

• A live chat is not on your immediate plans, but things can always change. The app is almost here. ;)

• Invite to My Question is one of the best updates ever, I like it a lot :D

• I like these new features. I'm curious to see what comes next.

What Guys Said 23

• All I want to know is when is the android app being launched

• I like the invite option now you don't have to tag people all the time.

• The invite feature is really great. It can help to create a sense of community, which is largely missing on Gag currently, since we don't know what people are asking unless we take the time to follow them individually.

Too bad so many people have private profiles and won't accept friends, so they can't be reached by invitations.

• If you browse questions from the recent and live feed you should see questions from people you aren't following.

• Both great updates!

• I'm slightly neutral towards the first, but the second is actually kinda cool. Does that mean you can invite people YOU follow, or people WHO follow YOU?

• Can we plase get some ability for customisation? Even if it's a primitive non-fleshed out prototype that just lets us select a different background colour.

• Well at least these have some value but isn't the invite feature literally the same thing as the tag feature I mean is has exactly the same function lol /=.

• Cool but doesn't the whole mentioning people in questions update defeat the whole purpose of the invite to my question feature?

• I think it's designed so people don't do that anymore.

• We considered that, @blondfrog. But we feel the way this new feature is set up is easier and a lot more straightforward.

Not to mention it will help keep content cleaner, without the unnecessary mentions there. ;)

• Lol smh at Gag not having a stock.

• Nice updates.
    One thing I noticed and actually didn't appreciate is that I received notification for a featured mytake I could not care less about. Unless it was a mistake, if I keep receiving notifications for stuff I don't want to see, I will disable it and all your work will be for nothing. Don't spoil it by using this feature to bombard me with stuff I don't care about. I want to be notified if I am being mentioned or replied to or messaged. I don't care for the rest.

• We designed our notifications system to be very flexible, meaning you can customize what kind of notifications you'll get from the Settings page.

Yes, we have been promoting some great content sparsely, but if you want to opt-out of that particular type of notification, go to the Settings page and, on the Notification section, uncheck the option "You want to receive GirlsAskGuys news". Then hit "Save" and that should do the trick. ;)

• Probably. Double check that setting and feel free to get in touch with me if you still need help. We don't want to SPAM you guys, I promise. That's why we set it up like that. :)

• I checked the box, saved, unchecked, then saved again. This should do the trick.

• Well done GaG, another great update 👍

• fucking glad i didn't turn desktop notifications on, i don't want to be notified whenever an admin writes a take...

• The notifications pushed from our Admin team are kept to a minimum. We promise not to SPAM. You can turn it on. ;)

• As I mentioned to another person on this myTake, @MisterSir and @Hannah591, we designed our notifications system to be very flexible, meaning you can customize what kind of notifications you'll get from the Settings page. :)

• Thanks, GAG!

• BR BR BR

• The only thing I care about nowadays is the bug (or the problem I'm facing) which haven't been fixed. On mobile version, when I try to scroll, if my thumb is on the username or things like opinion owner, asker or take owner, I can't scroll any further. The name starts getting scrolled instead.
    s31.postimg.org/.../...hot_2016_07_29_09_30_06.png
    s32.postimg.org/.../...hot_2016_07_29_09_30_08.png
    See? The placement of "Opinion owner" changes as I try to scroll and a scroll bar appears beside it.
    Then I have to tap somewhere else again and scroll.

I don't know if I was able to describe it. But I could try again if you will ask me. Maybe I should find a site to make a gif and show you?

• Yes! That has been a problem for some time now.
      The height of the container exceeds its parent and is turned into a scroll content.

You just can't start scrolling by tapping near the username.

• @mikemx55 Exactly! Glad to know that I'm not alone.

• Hey, @YourFutureEx and @mikemx55. Sorry to hear this is happening. I'll reach out to you so we can understand and fix this ASAP!

• Neat.

• I always wanted the browser notifications, and with that, the site would work just like an app.
    But in the reality :( I have too many notifications turned on, and where I work, there is always people around me. Would be a bit embarrassing to receive those notifications.

Sadly, it was a feature that I wanted, but cannot use it :/

• Well, man... It's there now. Hope you can use it in the future. Keep in mind you can turn some notifications off to customize your experience. Just go to the Settings page. ;)

• Yeah, the thing is that I still want all those notifications, just not exactly from everyone.
      I'm a confuse guy. Like, I want to know when a follower makes a question or a take. But maybe not from all my followers. I still want to follow them, but some just make too many questions.

So, I'd still want all the notifications on the website, but just some of them as browser notifications.

I know it's too much to implement for a stupid reason, and it's an unpopular opinion, just nevermind it, I was just explaining my stupid reasonings..

• They sound good.

• I would like to recommend a feature but I am not sure how difficult it would be to implement.

Would it be possible to have multi-question polls?

I've seen site like Suvery Monkey have polls like:

Question 1
    A)
    B)
    C)
    D)

Question 2
    A)
    B)
    C)
    D)

And then you can see a breakdown of what percentage of people who voted B for question 1 happened to vote C for question 2. Or basically any other combination you want see.

What do you think?

• That would be awesome and it should be a thing.

Only issue is, how many people would abuse the shit out of it? XD

• @Bandit74 Not sure. I'll mention it to the rest of the team and we'll talk about it. Usually the way it goes with an idea like this is we discuss it internally to see if it would be a good fit to the product and to the community.

Then we start thinking on how people could abuse it and what kind of negative impacts could it cause. The last part is to consider its feasibility and if the effort is worth the value we think is going to add to the GirlsAskGuys experience.

If it survives all of this and then some testing, it goes live. Keep your fingers crossed. ;)

• You should add a sports section and travel section, especially since the olympics are coming up in a week

• There are already too many sections that are unused.

Seasonal things like those, already fit into the news category

• I told him that too. But he said that we should post all of those things in "Entertainment & Arts". He made up his mind. I don't talk to him much. Generally, he does what HE likes. He's different from other admins and I guess he's incharge of things currently. So, don't expect it :/

• Sports and hobbies? Do we have a hobbies section? I think that's a fair addition request.

• More from Guys
    3