If you don't want advice, why post questions?

With the influx of very young people, a lot of questions on Gag no longer involve asking for advice.

In fact, a classic case just occurred today. A poster said in the question that any answers that disagreed with her position in the question would be ignored or reported.

A couple of us still told her that, in the situation in question, we agreed with her parents' position, and were promptly told we were abusers like her parents, and blocked.

This was an extreme example, but as we know, US teenagers (and other English-culture influenced teens who come to Gag) rarely think anyone older has any worthwhile advice to give, especially from their parents, and their activity on Gag is mainly Facebook-style tagging friends, and asking to be rated..

And good luck if you criticize them when rating!

While this is an extreme example of teen attitude, (explicitly saying that differing opinions will be ignored), it's generally the case that any criticism of a teen asker, or disagreement with their position, will be greeted with name calling and blocking. This is especially the case with politically oriented questions, where their lack of experience and knowledge means their opinion is usually, ahem, lacking in logic or objectivity.

As a veteran here on Gag, I've mostly stopped bothering to answer their questions when they ask if it's ok to date someone 21 when they are 16, etc.

The asker is asking for support from peers, not for objective advice.

If you don't want advice,  why post questions?

martyfellow is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Girls Said 16

• 10d

The quality of this site is definitely on the decline, but I can't really comment because I fill it with questions that are a complete waste of time also.

I 100% get where you're coming from though, in all seriousness, and it's no wonder people don't like the young users on here.

• 10d

Manly due to the abandonment of any age limit, about 3 years ago. Used to be 16. Sure, a lot of girls, especially, lied their way past this, but it wasn't so Instagrammy back then.

• 9d

lmfao she's hardly what I'd call the fembot police
      and 'nasty attitude'?

• 9d

Pretty nasty and immature behavior for a 40+ year old to be trolling my questions and answers on totally different subjects in this way.

Actually, it's immature for a 16 year old!

Speaking of people needing a spanking.

• 12d

Kids are entitled and spoiled these days.

• 12d

yeah, that can be irritating

• 16h

u r right

• 6d

Hmm, I just came across this question
    www.girlsaskguys.com/.../q2196027-how-can-i-get-my-mom-to-divorce-my-dad

Besides accusing their families, teachers and the dog for being the cause of their anxiety and unhappiness (which I'm not saying sometimes there are not good reasons to think so), now you can also get called a hypocrite for not wanting to start a relationship with someone who's bi or pan or whatever.

• 9d

I try to be open to all ideas and opinions on here; not only when I ask questions but also when I comment. I think it's important to be aware of other people's thoughts, and that my opinion is not any more important or right. I'm sensitive to criticism, but that doesn't mean I attack all opinions that oppose mine. There are, for sure, many gagers on here like that. I can't do much about it other than be open on my end. After all of my questions, I say that all opinions and comments are appreciated, and I mean it. Even if someone is a complete asshat, I'm not going to freak and block them. Most of my questions are probably nothing too meaningful or relating to a prevalent issue, but I accept all comments and opinions on my questions, even if they're harsh.

• 9d

Good to hear from you! Don't let yourself be changed by peer pressure!

• 10d

I think most of the time people kind of just wants someone to listen and understand them. There is such a lack of empathy in our society right now, what we really need are more people who ask questions and seek to understand instead of just opinionated people who have no desire to understand but just to voice their arrogant comments.

• 9d

Yes, and a lot of people who use private profiles even with unidentifiable usernames!!!
      It's one thing to ask for understanding, and another to dismiss whoever doesn't agree with their spoiled-brat take on life.

• 10d

Here here.
    I saw that question. I went through and liked every post like yours that was agreeing about her parents etc. I think I reported her for "spamming" etc or whatever in the hopes it'd teach her a lesson.

I agree. I see people that ask a question and if that person doesn't agree with what they're asking they insult them, have a go at their age, or any other facts they know about them through this site etc.

And then there's the opposite, people join an advice giving website, and just troll. I hate people like that. I ask a question a while ago about something and some blue anon is all "I don't care". Like why even reply. Which I said to him and he said some crap about how I addressed the question... Which was addressed to nobody, it was a simple question.

Anyone that's got "under 18" or is outright 13-15 on this website tend to just horrible. NOT ALL. But yeah. If you disagree, and aren't insulting their parents who probably do know best, then you're the devil.

• 11d

I agree in the sense of someone asking a question or writing a take etc. In this situation opinions and advice is welcome. One thing I don't like is not when you're the question asker but someone responding to a question or take and people come to argue with you for no reason. Especially if they've written their post well before yours and come back, clearly they're just looking for a fight. They then follow up with "this is an opinion site blah blah blah." Like yeah I get that, and what did I do? I wrote my opinion. If I'm not directly approaching you or inviting others to discuss something then I'm not looking for a debate. I came to offer my opinion and will happily respond to the question asker or take writer, but I'm not here to argue. People on here like to act like their opinions are better or somehow right. There's no such thing as a right or wrong opinion, it just is.

• 11d

yeah it's a waste of time. i wish kids were more like they were in my generation, but they are so disrespectful, rude, entitled, self-centered, and just plain spoiled. if it's validation they are seeking, they need to take it to facebook because they are ruining this site.

• 11d

Yes, the numbers of kids have degraded the advice giving purpose

• 11d

no kidding. but that's the millennial mind set for you.

• 11d

In the US, only, although the UK seems to be heading a little in that direction.. I don't see this behavior in other places.

• 11d

I totally agree. "A poster said in the question that any answers that disagreed with her position in the question would be ignored or reported" - with these types of questions they have already made up their mind. You are right, why do they even bother asking? If they want someone to back them up, then they should just make a take or something about their issue and why they are right.

GAG has definitely changed, but it's the users that create this change. We've had a big influx of new users which is a good thing, but it does come with drawbacks.

I think it's important to have users from all ages and backgrounds as it makes the advice more credible. If we only listen to advice from people in our age groups, then it can be hard to get good solid advice. Not that people in our own age groups can't give good advice. But sometimes a person with more life experience is more helpful or understanding of the situation. OR if you are an older person (I find myself to be older here on GAG at 27). Then the people answering may not have been in your position or not really understand the situation.

Life experience helps. But I think what makes GAG great is hearing from all sides and ages. Sometimes someone at 15 can say something incredibly insightful that ends up being immensely helpful. Other times someone who is 56 could make a really valid point and help you out.

• 11d

it's strange
    a lot of these questions look like they want a discussion
    when all they're after is confirmation bias

• 12d

I agree to an extent. When I see people post on here then say "If you are rude in any way I'll report you, no exceptions." First, that person seems a tad soft. Yes, being rude is wrong, and given the severity, it's 100% ok to report that type of behavior. However, is it really necessary to put up this wall right off the bat?
    On the other hand, I know first hand how you can ask for help and some people give great advice others... well, it's the internet, home of trolls, normal people, and bitter people. And the bitter people and trolls say terrible things to try and make you feel bad. So, I can see how maybe some, not all, of the people who seem sensitive on here and maybe hurt from the last time they asked for help and got backlash instead. Ok, but I also say... move on. It's the internet.

• 11d

By 'rude', they mean disagreeing with them, or with what they want to hear. They don't want advice, they want support from their peers.

• 12d

nice take 👍🏻

• 12d

On point marty👌

• 12d

I've noticed this. Many many people will ask for advice, and when you give them the answer they aren't looking for, they will name call and be little pissbabies about it.

• 9d

I don't know tho some people just like to be assholes when they answer questions I mean I've even been guilty of this

What Guys Said 10