Hitting CTRL+Z on Closed Questions

Hitting CTRL+Z on Closed Questions

As part of an effort to make GirlsAskGuys even more valuable for our community, we introduced the ability to close a question a while ago.

The rationale behind Closed Questions was that you could close a question once you were satisfied with the opinions, allowing us to give space to new questions that needed attention. Ultimately, the idea was to balance supply and demand between questions and the most valuable thing our great community produces: opinions.

But, when we poured over the data from the past few months, it became clear that the number of opinions isn't necessarily related to the amount of questions asked. A social network is something wonderful and complex because people too are wonderful and complex.

This is why we decided to stop closing questions automatically. Askers will still be able to do it if they feel they got the help and opinions they needed for their questions, of course. On top of that, we have reopened all the questions automatically closed so you can take full control of the content you created.

Last but not least, we have reverted back to the daily asking limits for creating questions. Please check this updated FAQ entry to learn more.

DiogoRibeiro is a GirlsAskGuys Influencer
Who are Influencers?

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit
Sponsored

What Girls Said 7

• 2|3
    • Please fix it so that people can't send invitations to questions that are 6 months old...

• 3d

it would be also nice if they don't hide the age of questions on those that are older than 7 days -_-

a 10 day old question the QA probably still cares about, a 2 year old one most likely not. If it's an anon then I can't even see if the person is still active... waste of time.

if they wanna hide the date on older questions, put the limit on 30 or 60 days but no 7 <_<

• I kind of want an option of permanently deleting questions from the site. I know there's at the very least ten questions I wish I could delete and have them gone from gag forever

• Frickin finally. Can't believe it took this long 🙄

• It's good to know that now our questions can remain open for more time. I didn't like the idea of having to close my questions, when I didn't have enough answers.
    Good job!

• It doesn't take analysis to know this.

• Awesome! This will help me find quality opinions on my questions! :)

• 7d

Thanks, but I think it would be more useful if we could now bump our old questions.

A few of mine were closed when I didn't get many answers, which I guessed could be that not many people saw them, as it seems to depend what time you ask sometimes.

What Guys Said 19

• YES! I can finally answer that "Star Trek" question that closed six months ago with no opinions. It used to tease me every day knowing I wanted to answer it but couldn't. The thing is, now I can't find it.

• Thanks Diogo and other devs :)

Now hit the ctrl+z on private opinion too because they don't make sense right now. They're nothing but facsimiled private messages. We cannot even choose them as MHO. And people like me feel uncomfortable in 'messaging' someone or replying to such messages. They often go out of the topic (while on questions, people are more inclined to stay on the original topic).

• 1|0
  • 6d

Thanks for sharing the rationale and some evaluations on the closing questions change. My experience learns that hardly any opinion (comments) come in after the first week a question is live.
    So closing a question automatically after 7 days would probably only have a minor influence on the number of posts.

• I am very happy about this change. This will make GirlsAskGuys more helpful and enjoyable.
    Thank you.

• i like this change

• 3d

didn't see that one coming... oh, wait! I literally said that once you look at your data, you'll go back shortly after you introduced it lmao

it pissed everyone off, didn't do what you want and was especially at the beginning poorly implemented. I'm glad it's gone.

• lol after reading the titles, am i the only dumb one who hit ctrl+z expecting something cool to happen? Please say no im dumb 2

• I admit, I did several times. I thought that they had done some sort of cool Javascript programming to capture the Ctrl+Z and bring up the feature.

• I approve!
    Great job (☞゚ヮ゚)☞

• Nice one!! Thanks!!

• Sounds good!

• 7d

And what about the "Most helpful opinions" chosen in automatically closed questions? Are these undone as well?

• About fucking time. Now give us the ability to like and dislike opinion comments!

• Awesome, as long as the data supports it why not
    Sounds great. Two thumbs up

• ALL HAIL THE GAG LORD DIOGO

• This seems helpful.

• WOOT!!!

• Thank you ! Glad GAG made this change and or update.