New Notifications

New Notifications

We've changed the notification system a little, making it easier than ever to read them and clear them!

Even before going to the actual thread, you'll know exactly what kind of activity it is and you can even clear it without having to go to the Question/myTake if you're not interested at that moment. That notification will still show in your notification list for later reference and checkups!

Notifications for new Private Messages and new Followers haven't changed,
you find them by hovering over your username and going to Messages or Follows.

Notifications for new Opinions on your Questions, new Comments on your Opinions, new Mentions, and when your myTakes are Promoted are now found by hovering over the bell symbol (just to the left of your username), which will have that orange number you're familiar with to indicate new activity you should see. You can also get there by going to Notifications in your profile menu.

On the notifications menu:

• You can see the type of new activity
  • You can click on the Question/myTake title to go to the thread and see what's going on
  • You can click the checkmark on the right to clear it, getting rid of the orange number but NOT ridding that drop down of that new activity.
  • On Desktop/Laptop the notifications menu is located on the top menu bar (the bell icon)

• On Mobile devices the notifications are under the top left menu (3 parallel lines a.k.a. hamburger menu)

One more small change, you can now save your myTake drafts by clicking Save Draft! Come back to the myTake to work on it later.

As always, keep the feedback and suggestions coming, we always appreciate it!
Thanks, G@Gers, for helping us create a new and improved G@G experience!

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Girls Said 21

• Still having ghost notifications.

• I like the new notifications, it's much clearer in seeing what exactly has been posted on things or what's going on for your profile. However, I think the original list should now be reduced to just messages, edit profile, settings, help and sign out, seeing as your notifications are coming up under the bell.

The draft option will be highly used by myself and most likely with others, thanks for listening to that suggestion! :D

• I thought that too (to reduce that list) but now I think it's not a good idea because it helps us to sort out opinions/opinion comments/takes/mention in a single window.

• As a mobile user, it's weird. It just looks like some of my notifications have switched to the left, while some stayed at the right. Gonna definitely take some getting used to.

• I think this is a pretty cool update. It's nice to just be able to hover over the bell symbol and see what the new activity is without going to the thread if we don't want to yet.

I also love that we can now save myTakes. That will make things a lot easier if I'm writing a lengthy myTake that might take a while to get just right.

• Oh and also, I forgot to mention, it would be even better if the new notification system was Live. Kind of like on Facebook where we don't have to go to a new page or refresh the page to see new notifications.

• Cool thing, it's become easier for us, but how about chat? :/

• Easier to access a small amount of notifications; yes.

More difficult to navigate the page because the function of an already established button has changed; absolutely.

So not worth it.

• I never used that button, hell for a long time I did not even notice it was there.

• That button was my primary way of navigating the page, but it does make more sense to just use the other ones. I just see a main menu button and go for it lol.

• I dont really like it as much personally cuz it aggregates them, you know, like I like to do things in order. I go to Messages first, then Opinions, then Mentions, etc. But it is similar to YouTube etc. so it probably makes it more accessible to new users, which is cool :) and I can still do it in order if I go into my profile.

• yes, you can still see your notifications on your profile page. But give new notifications panel a try, you may find it more convenient after gettig used to it. Keep s posted :) thanks

• The new update is not fun

• I'm on the mobile site and I find it really annoying that it's in the left now instead of in the right where you see messages and things. I don't like the look of it

• Fine with the new update as well as with the way it was before...

• Woke up this morning and my head was like..

"Whoaa man" *puts hand over my head*

It's all good lol

• I liked when you clicked the side thing for news and stuff instead. This is just... No point. Now we basically have two notification things on the screen for no reason. Like what the point having one in each side for different types of notifications. Just taking up room for nothing. I swear you guys hate mobile users. The mobile site has these new circle things and now this notification thing... great

• sorry to hear that... new notifications eliminate a step to access your new updates.. with the right menu notifications you needed to first go to your profile and then click on posts.. now it's 1 click..

• And you can better see recent ones instead of scrolling down and stuff. It's just too much for the mobile site though. Desktop is cool, but the mobile site, especially if you don't have a huge screen, it's just messy and sort of difficult

• I felt like this update was very unnecessary, it was fine before there was no reason to change it.

• we need an app for this site! like seriously!

• I don't like the alert bell thing. I really liked it when everything was together under my name, it made sense, it was hidden away.
    This feels like a cramped Facebook to me.

• I don't like it.

• I really really don't like this new one!!! It's so awkward to click on!!! Please bring back the old version.

• Not to be ride but I hate this new update and I feel as though the more you update the site the worse it gets

• Amen to that sister. I feel its slowly turning to Facebook, like Facebook isn't bad enough.

• GaG is aiming to become the new YouTube, all aboard the complaint train!

• I like the new update

• cool! i love this idea.

• More from Girls
    1

What Guys Said 16

• When I get notifications, I have to guess whether it's a comment or a mention: that makes finding the discussion more difficult.

• Technically this works if you don't get too many of them. If I made yet another question on how female genital mutilation makes perfect sense if the male one does too, I would get like 50 opinions in a night, and it would be pretty damn confusing to go through it in a merged feed.

I do like the idea behind it, though. The left side was completely useless on the mobile layout, now it is utilized in some manner. I am not sure how I feel about getting notifications on both sides of the screen. Optimally, you would be getting notifications on both the left and the right, and if you saw it on the right, it would update to the left, and if you clicked it in the left, it would update on the right. But I know what it is like to mess around with duplicate application logic, so I am not surprised you would:t be fond of the idea. :p

I don't dislike the new update is yet. But then again, I didn't get a thousand updates yet overnight. Facebook was also notorious about giving be so many updates in my feed that I missed what was important, too. We will see if this is better. It certainly makes navigation simpler on the phone.

• Actually, it collects multiple opinions and opinion comments and whatever by question, so it doesn't get over saturated at all. I like this new change! It is convenient.

• yepp, new post engagements for a single post are populated in 1 notification feed item this way. Glad that you liked it. Keep posting your feedback please. We appreciate it.

• Nothing wrong with some GaG evolution!

• oh, come on. all my 50+ notification got deleted. -.- and here i were planning to get to 100. ^^

• and I liked that all was at one place, but it instead become like shitty google + on YouTube. I don't like it, but tnx for new ideas. they are always welcome to be consider. :)

• Great way to make things more annoying and unnecessary

• Please change it back.

• I dont like it at all gag stop changine stuff

• DING DING DING DING DING

• Please improve, actually "REDESIGN", your iPhone client.

• What are things you don't like about it? Appreciate you feedback...

• @menguc I cannot post any questions or takes and check my notifications on iPhone client.

• To post a question or myTake you need to tap on the "Post" link on the top header. A menu will open, then you can click "Ask" or "Share" to start writing your question or myTake.
      You cannot see this menu or are you having problem on the Question/myTake edit screens?

To check notifications you need to click on the top left icon (three parallel lines, aka "hamburger menu)
      Or you can always go to your profile pages to check new activity.

Info about your iPhone version, and the browser you are using will be very helpful. It would also be great if you can send a screen shot.
      Please let me know more about your problems and I'll be happy to assist.

• Personally I really dislike the new format Of notifications
    was ok the way it was

• Sorry to break it to ya but i LUV the previous one better. The notifications appearing next to your avatar feels more exciting and satisfying. This one is confusing and not use to it :c

• I like it, I don't have to go to a middleman screen to get to my opinion.
    Thanks.

• Nice work!

• Thanks I was about to suggest you to Draft feature. I'm impressed implemented.
    But that notification feature is a bit tacky and we STILL need to refresh the page to check for new notifications.

• Getting used to it. Looks good.

• Thank you for sharing :-)))