What would you think of optional notifications for comments on other people's answers?

I think we all know the issue - you comment on someone's answer but won't get notifications when you get a response to it. That makes things unnecessarily complicated in my opinion. All you can do is keep returning to the thread and check if there is a new reply. Again and again. Or follow the question and keep checking the live feed.

Another annoying thing this creates is that users will (understandably) post their replies to the other person's answer and vice versa, so that they both receive notifications. In the end this means answers with whole monologues under them. And that can get pretty confusing.

Anyways, I think a good solution to this would be to let users choose answers they'd like to receive notifications on, whenever it gets a new comment. Preferably this would be a checkbox you can uncheck anytime, when you don't want to receive any more notifications to that answer anymore.

So, what do you think about this idea?

P.S.: First world problems FTW!

• Good idea, SaVes, have a cookie!
  • Bad idea, SaVes, go to your room!

Most Helpful Guy

• Yes, I've thought about this kind of feature for a while. We users should get satisfactions for comments, the same way we do for opinions and questions.

• I've asked a similar question a couple of months ago, but gag won't let me post the link.
      "Do you think GirlsAskGuys should should have comment notification?
      When you comment on someone's answer, it notifies you of other comments made. We have Question and opinion notification, so why not comment notification."

• I can't get no satisfactions (for comments)!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HoxRFOr_sQ0

• Thanks for MH, great song =D.

What Guys Said 16

• Support. Most of the time, I just forget about them and they fall by the wayside.

I shall give you THREE Oreos circa 2010 before they cheaped out on their icing making it twistable but worthless!

• THREE pre-2011 Oreos? Risky! That'd be too much of an ego-boost and I'd start acting like a complete jerk on here! :D

• :(

Back to being lonely and not being insulted, I suppose. Actually, seeing as who I am... just lonely

• If being insulted is the only kind of communication you accept, then I guess so! :P

• I agree - this is a much-needed feature, and having it be OPTIONAL is ideal.

• It would be nice if you simply got a notification that the person you commented on replied. This use to annoy me, but I'm so beyond it now.

• I second, third, and fourth that motion. By the way, great idea.

• Thanks! Who knows, maybe the admins will consider it.

• You read my mind SaVes i was thinking to post something very similair.
    I keep having to check back to see for responses and its very annoying not to get notifications. Go go go admins :D

• Have a cookie? No, have a brownie. Have a pastry of your choice.

• i support this. and also an optional notification for question updates too. you use to get those in old gag but got rid of those. sometimes the QA has new information to add and would like anybody who wishes to address them to add their thoughts too.

• and also you should go to your room anyways. cause you are baaaaaaad :P

• fine. its not functional at the moment anyways :P

• My deepest condolences.

• Good idea saves. Have a cookie!

• This is a MUST.

• good one..

besids the overall point system need to be rechecked..

• Yes make it happen admins

• You get ahtwo cookie!
    Ok ahtreeee

• Good idea have a chips ahoy!

• I am voting A, just so you can have a cookie :P

• Thanks for the cookie, but does that mean you don't think it's a good idea?

• Gern geschehen. :)

• Krumelmonster :P

• I think this is pretty important, it sucks checking back every 5 minutes

What Girls Said 6

• I think it's a good idea. I often feel like I am stalking people to see if they've responded...

• I love being stalked by you. Damn, I didn't think about that, I wouldn't want to miss you stalking me. Abort! Delete question!

• Hahahah Ill turn off notifications and stalk you then :P

• choco chip cookie for you!

• I vote A!!! It's a great idea and you definetly deserve a cookie

• I got so many cookies already, I'm about to burst! But I'll take yours too regardless!

• I'm there already, it was a trick-option! :P

• Hahahaha.

• Yes oh wise one!

• I would say no, because i would keep it unchecked anyway

• And why wouldn't you want this to be an option for everyone else?

• Yes, that's what I meant. Like it was on the old GaG.

• I wasn't here then so i didn't know

• We are currently working on a solution for this, I'm really excited about it actually... but no spoilers, so stay tuned (^_^)

• This sounds like it's actually going to happen. Yay! :D

• You're still a user, don't forget that! Haha.

And well, if you really listen, then please consider my idea for a solution. As you can see, a vast majority of users (so far at least) support my idea of optional notifications.

Either way, thanks for noticing! :)

• Wow, after all these years