What do you do when a guy has a severe stuttering block?

I've withdrawn from trying to date girls as my stuttering always seems to be the biggest barrier. I can't help being shy, that's who I am. Every time I have a block the girls reactions are like I have horns growing out of my head. What do you think I should do now since I'm 19 and have been single for 3 years?

Most Helpful Girl

What Girls Said 6

• They're probably just surprised not because it's weird or ugly but because they just didn't expect it or it could actually be your very own reaction that made them uncomfortable since you're not very happy about it, anyways most girls find it cute I don't think you have any reason to be shy at all.

• True most girls tend to be shocked that the shy guy in class, actually has a slight stutter. Sometimes this works in our favor, other times it works against us.

• Oh, I know two guys who do that and it's actually adorable.:) I would never make fun or find it strange. It's a part of you, so just try and accept it and people will too.:)

• Some people aren't sure how to react in that situation. You are young now, but there are women out there who won't give a flip about your stuttering.

• Thank you for the response, yes I know I'm still young, it can just get rather lonely sometimes. I'm going to the gym more often and I'm gaining more confidence in myself. However talking to girls are still nerve-wracking for me.

• Practice practice practice
    Talk with people as often as you can

• Thank you for the comment, I try really hard I write down everything I want to say but it never comes out smooth.

• Hold the palm your hand to tell you to stop being nervous and ask you to speak slowly.

• A girl actually did that to me yesterday, my face blushed bright red :)

• kiss him! No words needed

What Guys Said 2

• U can't really get away with being a chronic stutterer. there's actually noway at this point in hoping that its gonna go away anytime soon. Its gonna be a life long struggle. there's no cure to it but there's definitely one. Accept who you are. When u accept who u are, anything is possible. Dont let it take control of your life. YOLO so take control of it and feel no shame. Its easier said than done but its the only cure to ur happiness. Stop thinken negatively and u should be fine. U make it look worse than it alrdy is to others. They won't think negatively as u think, we all think differently so dont make it worse than it alrdy is. Accept yourself and u will no longer feel trapped ever again. That is your only cured...to being happy and living life to the fullest.

• Cheers mate :) truly some empowering words right there! I've accepted my stutter, I advocate, and advertise as much as I can. Hopefully my work will help future generations of stutters, if not me who eh?

• I the problem is that severe the I would recommend possibly working with a speech coach/therapist. To be honest I'm not sure what they call themselves.

Effective communication is important and not just with women. It will pay off in the long run.

• Meant "If" not "I"

• I've done speech therapy and to be honest it doesn't help, I've created a blog however describing what a stuttered such as myself hoes through in a college atmosphere/daily life.