According to you, what is the purpose of "Anonymous" feature here? Do you think it's often being abused?

The question is simple as above.

So do you think some people tend to abuse anonymous status to troll on other people's questions/answers/comments?

share your personal experiences if you want.

Thanks :)

Most Helpful Girl

• i think the purpose of it is for mainly asking questions, if you feel embarrassed by asking something so you go anonymous, and secondly for answering a question you're shy to answer, but i think people abuse this and go anonymous to say something mean, insulting or something dumb to annoy the asker.
    Maybe when these things happen the mods should make the anonimous user visible and that way people will stop abusing this feature knowing if they use it to troll the anonymity will be exposed.

What Girls Said 6

• There are a lot of personal questions and opinions posted here and some people like having that "extra" anonymity. Other people may just not want their username to be recognized.

I think some people may abuse the feature but, overall, it serves a good purpose and most people use it in good ways. If GAG got rid of the anonymous feature, I think there would be way less people asking and answering questions. Activity would decline.

• Agreed :)
      I think g@g should invent an in between way to stop/reduce the incidents of abuse like MonsterCookie has described in her opinion.

• Yeah, I can agree with that. I do think the anonymous feature is an important and unique aspect of this site. It's a shame some people decide to abuse it.

• Here is something that could be implemented for getting rid of the "Anonymous"

When a new membership is created. The person is given 2 randomly generated "account" numbers. Example 123456 and 654321.

One of these numbers can be changed to whatever we want and avatars added. Like "ironeddie" and a batman avatar.
      For #123456

The other number 654321 is their "anonymous" number and has a generic avatar. This account can not be changed.

So if I want to ask an embarrassing question. I write it, click on the "anonymous" box (it will work the same for opinions). When the question is posted. The identifier is the generic avatar with #654321 under it.
      Nobody knows who #654321 is (unless the member tells someone).

The advantage to this is. If 654321 tries to troll around and be rude/offensive to others. The members can block him/her.

This should also greatly reduce the members who currently post the same question over and over and over again. Example 18 times in 4 weeks.

• It is abused but some questions and answers are very personal. People feel more comfortable asking them when they're anonymous

• i have attracted a lot of trolls by allowing users to answer anonymously on my old account so everytime I ask a question unless I am anonymous I never allow anonymous users to answer my questions. there is the option to make your profile private. I think there are a lot of hypocritical woman who slut shame on here can ask anonymous questions on the sex category: about having one night stands. you can always block a user or you can make your profile private. I think some people who post a DOM is including man share personal information that they don't want linked to their account or maybe they do not want to show up on the newsfeed.

but to ask a question anonymous or to answer a question anatomists is to give up the ability to block a person on that question or on that answer. so by going anonymous you are allowing blocked users to reply to your answers or to answer your questions.

I think a lot of users Go anonymous thinking they have more privacy when in reality if someone replies to your answer an anonymous user cannot block them. the same goes with asking a question anonymously you can't block them and if you did block them they can still answer

• I don't even give it a thought

• Never gave it much thought

• I always post anonymous because there's no reason why anyone needs to see my other questions or comments.

• You can do that by making your profile private.
      No need to post anonymous everytime if it's not necessary :)

What Guys Said 6

• 1. There are those who troll even w/o using the anon feature cause almost everyone is anon here if they don't want to reveal their identity :)
    2. Anon is a very useful feature especially for girls & those who want to ask questions or answer w/o being identified.
    3. In such a case the usefulness of the this feature outweighs the abuse
    4. Whichever way GAG has a 'report' feature as well as able admin & mods to take care of even those opinions or comments that are unwarranted in the true sense and quite a few times even w/o being reported

• It can be abused. But it has a purpose and I think it's a good thing. There are a lot of personal questions on here. If the anon feature allows people to be more open and honest, then I'm all for it. I think a lot of people would be too inhibited to talk about things if they couldn't go anon.

• I don't think too much on it, but I suppose it could get abused. I think it's good to have in terms of making it easy to ask and answer questions honestly. Even with an already anonymous-ish profile, I think some people probably still feel more comfortable that way, and that's cool. I think the trolling is just a cost of doing business. We have to be personally responsible to act maturely, I don't know how that can be regulated though.

• I don't think trolling has much to do with it. I've removed plenty of non-anonymous troll answers.

I use the anonymous feature when I'm asking a question for help with a personal situation. I rarely answer anonymously. I will answer anonymously if I want to share a relevant/personal experience, but have everyone know who I am.

• It sounds like a good idea if you got a real life friend that could potentially spread your story. But I mostly see it as a problem trolls use for whatever reason.

• People use it to harass and avoid being blocked. It's annoying.