Why people like to be rated their appearances, but not their personalities or their awesomeness :(?

Would you rather have 10 on your appearance than your personality?

because for me I'd love to be rated 10 on personality LOL I found many people here are awesome yet they still wanted to be rated their appearance by others. :(

Most Helpful Guy

• Some people would say someone else's opinion on a personality is irrelevant. Most people have friends/family to give perspective on personality. And most people you would meet during the day or just talk to for a second in the line at the grocery store aren't really a concern for you to make a personality judgement. We generally assume most people are nice and pleasant to have a conversation with. Its easier to see the personality of the masses as pleasant or awesome.

Appearances are like personality in that most people are good looking in a normal way. Most people just look however they look and its not bad. There are outliers in both directions with what our society today calls beautiful and ugly but for the most part majority is in the, you look fine zone.

The thing about appearance though is, we tend to put more emphasis on the negative part of it. Its like the good/bad luck complex. The more you keep in mind the good things on your life the more you and others will see you as lucky. Everyone has just as much good and bad things happen to them in their lifetime so the idea of someone being lucky is irrelevant.

We see ourselves as having a bad hair day or whatever and think it happens all the time. When really it probably happens once a month maybe. thats only 12 days out of 365. I would say thats a good thing. So its harder for us to convince ourselves we look in the good way we feel we should look. So we ask others for help to see what they think about us. Our personalities don't need as much attention from strangers because thats what family and friends are for.

Truthfully I wouldn't want to be rated in any way. I might not mind it as much as long as I had a base comparison. Like a person most people would know, then rate me and others based off that person. But why rate anything that isn't a form of competition. I'm still me regardless how you rate me. So the rating is not necessary unless it puts me or others in a more positive state of mind.

• You're welcome. Thanks for asking the questions. I hope I get to answer many more.

• Thanks for the most helpful thing. Sorry I didn't say it earlier. I'm still kind of new to this and didn't realize it was a thing.

What Guys Said 15

• Well, people ask others to rate their appearances on the internet because that can be done with a simple picture and a pair of eyes. It's difficult to rate someone's personality when all you read are a few lines or paragraphs.

Now, I have followed some of your questions and comments meibay313, so I'm going to rate your personality based on (what very little) I know. Are you ready? Drum roll please...

A solid 8. That's a good score. It would have been a 10, but you got two points deducted by the German judge for excessive bubbliness. Not to worry, a lot of people like that.

Now, I'm going to rate your ability to change your profile pic as often as you change your underwear. Drum roll please...

A 15!

Makes me wonder if you're running from the law or something.

• LOL hahahaha you made me laugh so hard, I had no idea my comments are bubbly haha interesting I will try to comment less bubbly from now on :) and the profile picture of course haha thank you so much!

• Oh, don't listen to those curmudgeony old German judges! Bubble away!

• Jeez I wonder what you would rate my personality! Haaa

• People judge on looks because when you first see someone, you do not fall in love with their personality. You fall in love with their appearance.
    Later, you realise that they are either a total douchebag or an awesome person.

• i agreed totally

• agreed on body image

• Ofcourse u can fall for personality without looks. That happen to meh quite a few times before and i was amazed..getting to know that person on the inside can turn the table around.

• I already know my awesomeness and personality levels are a 10.. I could work on my body a bit though ;)

My modesty needs some work too lol

• You can't accurately rate someone's personality from this website even with prolonged exposure.

I also would not care what my rating would be; I imagine an average of 4 since I am predominantly rude here and being here actually somehow agitates me over time.

• you canĀ“t rate a persons personalitie over the internet. a 10 in looks is at least something to start with :D

• Because appearance causes the initial attraction. Personality may be what makes someone stay. But I can't look at somebody and have a grasp on their personality.

• it's an obsession with the superficial over what is more meaningful

• :) trueeeee thank you for your opinion!

• you're welcome. I've seen you a lot on this site. You're a good GAGer.

• Thank you :) you are awesomeeeeeee! (I know from your comments so this is so truee :P)

• Because you can't see personalities or their awesomeness. Are you going to approach an ugly guy who you don't know he is a great personality and awesome guy. Lets face it good looking people get with good looking people almost all the time unless one of them is filthy rich. People want to think intelligence education and success level makes them attractive.. Its all about looks.. Were all here to reproduce.. Let each generation be better looking its good for all of us..

• It's farrr easier to rate your own personality than your own looks.

• And I too would prefer a 10 personality.
      And like unwanted said, it's easier to rate looks online than someone's entire personality.

• Awww, thank you. You're being far too sweet :)

• nah... I don't compliment on things that I don't mean to. :)

• 1. no one knows them
    2. it's easier to rate hotness

• looks are what people are first attracted to and what single you out form someone else standing nearby , Plus most people don't think the problem keeping someone could be their personality

• Because nobody cares about personalities and awesomeness

• I'd rather be a 10 on awesomeness

• For me I'd rather be voted a 10 on appearance no one cares about personality.

• That's kinda sad...:( I care about personality though

• True.. Looks certainly matter, but for me I'd like to be 10 on personality :)

• Whatever floats your boat ;) But I'm hideous so girls don't pay attention to me.

• Our biology causes us to overlook a bad personality if the other person is attractive enough. It is clear that being attractive will get you a lot farther, than a good personality.

What Girls Said 11

• you can instantly rate someone's appearance, all it takes is a look. to rate someone's personality, you have to get to know them which takes time.

usually it takes the appearance first to get the approach. for example, a guy might not approach a girl he does not find attractive, thus never getting to know her good personality. however, he will approach the girl who he finds attractive, then get to know her personality. sometimes, there are exceptions when you end up liking someone you did not initially like, but even then, it's because you had some small attraction for them in the first place.

part of biology is finding the mate we find physically attractive, fertile, carrying good genetics, etc. it is innate. STILL, I do think personality is SO important.

to be honest, I need to be physically attracted to my partner, but I also want to like his personality. I can't choose one side over the other, it's a fair balance of both for me.

• I think it's hard to rate a person on their personality without actually meeting them. Like when people post those rate me questions on here... a picture is actually rate-able. But we can't rate their personalities since that's intangible.

Personally, I would rather have a 10 for physical appearance since that's what matters more for women.

• I think it is true... appearance matters more for women :( but I rate you 1000000000/10 on both your looks and awesomeness on GAG, you are so awesomeeee sis :D

• LOL. Not at all sis, you just happen to be the sweetest person EVER :p

• you so are~~~~! Haha thank you :)

• We can't see personalities here. Maybe we can have some clue though.

And if you are underrated by look you can change your look easier than ur personality. And for many people it is done, ok no need to bother with personality thing. Most of us superficial creatures, sad but true.

• Because people don't take the time to get to know your personality until you pass the appearance test

• Appearance is the first thing people notice so they rate/judge you on the at. That is why it is such a big deal and people ask the stupid rate me questions on here. I care more that people think my personality is a 10 because looks fade, personality is forever.

• Because people want to look more beautiful on the outside so people are intruiged to find out whats on the inside

• It's hard to rate someone's personality here when you don't know them in real life to interact with them. So people settle with appearance rating to know they at least stand a chance in first impressions

• :) trueee, haha I'd so rate you 10/10 on your awesomeness though, based on your questions and comments here, thank you for your opinion!

• Awh! You're amazingly awesome for loving my awesomeness!!! :D ~new follower~

• Thank you~~~ :)

• Society/media places a lot of emphasis on physical appearance
    and both genders are aware physical attraction is the first step to get to know one another
    for me, i would be happier if people see more on my characters
    i know i am average looking so no need to compare with others hahah

• It is more difficult to rate a personality on GAG when you never met them in person.

• I rate you a 10 on personality. I need some of that.

• Personality won't get you free drinks.