Why do people care so much about appearance ratings on GaG?

It seems to be a bunch of please rate me questions on GaG lately. Are people really that concerned about their looks? It's crazy some people need constant assurance. Not me. I never had any problems lol.

Most Helpful Girl

• Well, I've never asked that type of question before but I can understand why some people do. I think some people are just fishing for compliments or looking for a confidence boost.

However, some others just want to know how they are perceived by the opposite sex and they may be uncomfortable asking people in real life. Sometimes it can be easier to just ask strangers online as they are more likely to be honest and they don't personally know you so it isn't as embarrassing either

What Girls Said 7

• People are obsessed with the superficial. Such is life. Also, as an evil pimp, I am certain your self-esteem is higher than the average layperson.

• dude its because they feel insecure about themselves and care about what people think of them..its sad...that's why they do it

• People care about looks lol. Whether we like it or not it is something that people care about in the world for dating and even sometimes getting hired. A lot of people don`t get complimented or whatever in real life and they feel that they need the reassurance online. Even I have been guilty of the online rating system:(

• A lot of people have low self esteem here. Period.

• Never asked or answered one of those questions have no interest in them.

• Everybody wants to be sexyyyy.

• I don't know either. Its weird. Like... I guess people really need confidence boosters or something? lol I'm not always super confident but i have a bf who compliments me often. No matter how down i feel i dont need to get attention, and ask lol

What Guys Said 6

• Well why not?

It's a perfect place to get lots of opinions. And an opportunity missed if you don't ask imo.

People who post these questions anonymously probably do it because they feel down.

People who post on their real accounts probably do it out of genuine interest and have higher than average self esteem (because they put their name on the line).

• Its a lot easier to get compliments online. Its also a lot easier to deal with negative reception because you can always claim that the person insulting you is a troll.

• Insecurity. I don't even see the point in having a pic of myself in my avi. Some people who do that do it just to see who will say they are hot.

Only people I want to find me attractive are the people I see in real life. Not the internet.

• Social animals worry about public judgment. The younger the more concerned.

• They believe their identity is dependent upon others acknowledgements and perceptions..

• Dude they all just jealous cause I'm a sex beast