To the admin & experienced GaGers; do u feel that with the new users , the site now has less of a "community" feel than in the past?

Lately I've noticed a change in the community feel of this website.

The site overall doesn't feel as "open" socially as it once was.

-----

It seems like users rarely "friend"/"follow" each other,

more users lock their profiles to not allow other users to send them private messages,

and whenever 'small talk ' such as a casual joke or lighthearted humor, is ignored or given a generic "haha" or generic emoticon such as ":-P".

I remember back when I first joined back in 2010 the community feel of GaG is what drew me in.

Users would be so comfortable with each other that they would exchange phone numbers, instant messaging contact info, etc.

Now this site doesn't have that feel anymore.

It feels more...impersonal and transient currently.

-----

...or maybe my experience recently on this site is an outlier to the average experienced GaG user.

-----

To everyone (new users, experienced users, admins)...do u feel that this site has a strong "community " feel currently?

To the admins...is a more transient and less personal/community feel what you were going for in this new GaG version or is this just coincidence?

-----

Feel free to vote on the poll and reply as much as you like.

Most Helpful Girl

• Yes, definitely. I joined with my first account back in 2010 also. The site had a mucg different "feel" back then. A lot of the familiar faces have left and it seems as if less people actually care about giving good, though-out responses as before.

Less users are willing to interact and get to know other users also. I still think of this site as a community but it's definitely different than it used to be. When the new version launched is when it lost a lot of that in my opinion. I miss the older users who have left and the more personalization and community "vibe" that the old version gave.

• 110% agree with "and it seems as if less people actually care about giving good, though-out responses as before." It's becoming a very serious problem and I am so tired of it!

• You're welcome, honey ;-)

• ...i mean honeybee. :-P

What Girls Said 14

• Hmmm...I have a different experience of the site. I comment back and forth with a few awesome people and message with a few too. The only thing that's a major turn off about this forum is how unnecessarily judgmental and inflammatory a few users are. People just jump the gun way too often, but it is the internet so such things are to be accepted I guess. One thing that bothers me is that they're allowing very young people to use the site. But then again, anyone can just lie when they sign up.

• I'm really a 27 year old chimpanzee named Booboo.

I'm sorry for being dishonest :/

• :o NoOOoOoOoooooooOOOO! *heart breaks* :P

• I guess it's just like any other online community. I've been a member of various online forums for over 10 years now, and the ones that I stayed with have definitely evolved and changed over the years. That's just the nature of websites like this. The membership shifts, so the community gets a different vibe every so often.

It's kind of like the street I grew up on. My parents and maybe one other neighbour have been there since the early 90's. Everyone else I knew while growing up is gone and there's a new crop of young families there now. It doesn't really feel like the same place.

That being said, I still like this place. I'm not going anywhere.

• I'm not a seasoned veteran only been here a little over a year. But in my opinion the reason the community feel is gone because so many users are going anon & have private profiles. Plus the follow thing sucks was much better when you friended a user.

• I'm not a veteran here, but I do feel like this...

• I get what you are saying it doesn't feel like the old gag since it is a new one. The vibes feel a lot different especially since the Instant Messaging was taken off.

• I definitely agree. Compared to like one or two years back (I've had an old account) the community feel is nearly gone. I stay in touch with a few members that really grew on me quickly, but other than that, I feel rather alienated from the rest of the site.

• You helped me, Saves.

• So you knew all the time but had no way to ask me? That sucks! I'm sorry. :D

• I forgive you! :)

• I've been here on an off for a year. I joined shortly before GaG dropped the chat function so I'm not as affected by that. I still feel a sense of community here even though I've been noticing long time frequent users dropping out since the most recent changes.

• It's different yes, but things change. And some of the older users are not here anymore, so these changes are normal.

• i've only been here a year and i think it's a trend maybe? i think it also has to do with members transitioning to the new site. it automatically made my profile private when it wasn't before.

• I haven't been around long enough to know but I feel "accepted" for lack of a better word. I think you'd have to put a lot of time and effort into developing friendships and honestly I'm a little skeptical of people when they first message me, especially if they haven't built up a repor by commenting on things. However I do feel like I've made a handful of friends here and I love to hear their opinion on things.

• I accept you. : )

• I embrace you, bellegirl!

I will admit that I'm definitely socially aggressive, which can off put socially awkward / introverted people (which seem to me the majority of users here on this site).

Hopefully my social extroversion hasn't freaked you out. :)

• Not at all! I totally love you profdon...even if you do think I'm a perv ;) ;)!
      Keep up the extroversion!

• I feel the community and I am a new User

• I like the way it is now and I've been here for a while.

• I follow you Prof. I'm probably a new user here in GaG. I have only been here for 2 months. I feel welcomed here and it does feel like a community :D

• I would never give anyone my number online. And age does not matter, I have seen young pervers and old perverts, young trolls, and older trolls, I see sexual questions from older people and from younger people. Users on here try to act like they never did anything sexual at a young age lmao. Also, I use tp be more open in my old account until I got weird messages, some days ago I saw this QA trying to get pictures from a user after saying no. I get creepy messages. Now my profile is private.

What Guys Said 17

• I'm a relativelely newer user (my account was made in '12 but I really only started using several months ago) so I can't really compare to the old community feel, but the current sense of community feels pretty strong to me.

I mean, they even had to put in a rule about GaGers not posting new questions about other GaGers. To me, the need to implement a rule like that seems to indicate a pretty strong sense of community.

• I haven't used the site much since it changed. I used to feel a lot more connected a couple years back, it seemed like you would see the same people all the time and got to know them. It seems like there is a lot more people using the site now which is good. Although I used to always have friends sending me messages, I have gotten distant from the site and most people left so it's not quite the same because I don't have those friends to speak with.

• I agree with u...you're one of the few users that I believe has been on GaG as long as I have!

• Yeah it's been quite a while now that I think about it. I usually post on here rampantly then disappear for a while only to return and do it all over again. I notice about a handful of users from when I first started here, I kind of wonder sometimes how everyone's lives turned out

• I'm on several motorcycle forums. These types of places go through phases of being a tight knit group and distant relationships. Though, if the close feel of a site is too far gone, it's hard to recover.

• For the record, I've made several friends here :)

• I like you, you are cool beans. : )

• My phone has quite a few contacts from GaG (as well as other ways of talking through cyberspace)

• I felt a big chill when you couldn't live chat any more. To be honest, i doubt i would have ever gone past level 2 xper if people hadn't -out of the blue- started chatting with me.

I actually find it a little warmer now then i did say a year ago.

The change from friend to follow/follower i don't like, or more specifically, the fact it doesn't alert you to new followers.

• I've kind of felt a little more distant from the community since meebo was dropped. I don't think I feel any changes recently in the community though..

• Did you use the meebo chat bar frequently? Maybe I remember wrong, but I thought you said you don't really actively communicate with others on here.

• Same here. Back when there was chat, I never hesitated to say hi to people. Now I only message with the ones that really grew on me.

• Its not as friendly without the chat, but I find that if people really want to talk to someone they will. I used to have my profile set to private in regards to messages but I opened it up recently because why not right if I dont like someone I can just ignore him.

• Before this "big update" when GAG had a chat client I had mixed feelings on it. People would randomly try to chat with me and it was almost always some bullshit "ex" story and I'd get fed up with it.

I'd then get messaged walls of texts in my inbox too and then blocked when they found out I wasn't reading their bs drama.

Lately I've had less of it. I do recognize some users but frequently forget the username unless I chat with them through messaging often.

• I've only been a G@Ger for less than a year, but I do notice since the update it has more of a Yahoo answers type feel.

• Well, I think they consciously dropped and reduced all the 'friend' type interaction. No walls. No chat. No 'friends'. You don't receive notification if someone follows you, so in essence, it's quite hard to casually PM people. This behind the scenes cement might have been what drew people to keep coming back in the past, and given the place more of a community vibe.

• Do u think that this is a "planned" culture change byththe admins?

• To me it's the opposite, but I was much more casual back then and never used live feed so I really only answered questions or read them here and there.

• It's because it's not new to you anymore. And because you don't spend enough time here lmao

• I must admit that u make a good point! I'm not on as much as I used to; life happens!

• If I'm accepted, I'm accepted. If I'm not, I'm not. I just look at this site as a way to pass time. I think its lame to beg for acceptance from anyone.

• Whaaaat! Guys and gals be exchanging phone numbers? O_O'
    Err im always da late bird that gets the dirt instead of the worm T-T

• Yes.. I was here years ago with a different user name, and came back again before accidentally deleting myself. One or two really solid people who had been here years left because of one user.. I fear they were the tip of the iceberg

• I'm a new user, but usually only stay on sites like this for a few days.