What would you think about restrictions on our ability to post anonymously?

While I am generally in favor of an anoymous option existing, I must say, I've recently gotten very annoyed by how it's not only being abused, but also overused.

I've noticed in the live feed, a large majority of questions are being posted anonymously. While this is perfectly fine in general, it often becomes problematic when the topic is rather controversial (which is often the case). Anonymous askers then very often tend to take advantage of their anonymity.

So, my suggestion would be to allow only a certain number of anonymous posts within a certain period of time. For instance:

-> You can post no more than 3 anonymous questions and no more than 10 anonymous answers within a month.

Or something like that. This is just an example that I'd personally be okay with.

What do you all think of this? Agree? Disagree? Why? Why not?

• I concur - give this woman a prize! (Please state what the prize shall be.)
  • I decline - give this woman a consolation prize! (Please state what the consolation prize shall be.)
  • I'm indifferent - give this woman whatever the fuck she wants! (Please don't state anything.)

Most Helpful Guy

• I agree for the most part. There used to be a way to block anons, you didn't need to know who they were. They should bring that back.
    Cause on controversial Q's, there's usually some heated arguments, so just blocking the person should be an option. No idea why the poop they got rid of it...
    But yeah, everything in moderation.

Or what if there was a button that allowed people to vote on the person's anonymity?
    Like say, if 5 people of each sex vote for the asker to come off anon, they don't have a choice, their Q instantly shows who posted it.

• That way they get to keep their anon status as long as they don't abuse it.

• Me too but at least they'll know we hate them. Well, I do.

• Why, thank you SaVes

What Guys Said 40

• 1. The Anon feature is something that keeps GAG thriving
    2. Limiting Anon questions or opinions will lower the traffic on GAG which is detrimental to the basic nature of business of GAG
    3. What I think is those below 18 shoudl be monitored more by GAG admin and their asking sexual nature questions should be immediately and automatically be made Anon
    4. A lot of girls prefer going Anon cause they want to state their mind but won't be comfortable going open cause they are stalked or judged which is fair. Any limitations to these will again not only lower the traffic on GAG but also popularity ratings will be lower :)

• 1. I'm not disagreeing with that.
      2. I agree with that, and that's why I would never think the admins would even consider restricting it.
      3. I don't entirely agree.
      4. It's guys just as much as girls, in my observation.

Thanks for your input!

• @Owner - # 2: Yes, you would lower the traffic on GAG, but do you really think GAG needs "Do girls like Dicks?" posted 50 times a day? I would not want the option to ask serious questions anonymously removed, but AI sure would like to see a way to cut the BS.

#3: More people would just lie about their age when signing up. So admins cannot protect the underage "liars".

• @SaVes thank you :)

@Red Arrow
      2. The same person can post 'Do girls like Dick's more than once while many other guys can do the same. GAG's business model thrives on traffic as does most other online entities :) Everyone is open to ask what they want & how many times they want. If reported or against the pre set rules of GAG the admin & mods will remove it :)

3. GAG doesn't ask people to verify vide legit means but like FB and any other web based entity believes that the user evinces moral ethics while signing up. Trolls and fakes are all over the world and ofcourse more on the web. While the admin monitors all these there are also users who keep notifying them & they take action & promptly at that, where warranted :)

• I do think there should be a limit on anonymous posts, but I don't think it will stop people from using it. The main reason I am voting A is because of the fact that it feels like a lot of questions are just a bunch of anonymous ones. But I think a special exception should be made for the sexuality area.

A lot of trolling is anonymous. It is nice if your situation is really personal and all but I just wish there was something that could cut down the flood of anonymous posts.

In the end, you are really just a username here. So I don't see why people feel the need to use anonymous posts so much.

• A lot of times, I've seen questions that I really don't think need to have been asked anonymously. No lies, I've seen questions titled "Hey! What's your favorite flavor of ice cream?" Anonymous. Really?

I'm intrigued by your idea, but I don't know exactly how feasible it would be. I ask questions when I'm seeking personal advice or input and I ask more than three of those each month. Plus, the overwhelming majority of people here are most likely casual/light users who probably don't even ask three questions a month.

So...I guess I'm somewhere in between A and B? Maybe?

• "No lies, I've seen questions titled "Hey! What's your favorite flavor of ice cream?" Anonymous. Really?"

Exactly! This is so ridiculous. Haha.

"Plus, the overwhelming majority of people here are most likely casual/light users who probably don't even ask three questions a month."

I hadn't considered that, you're right!

• Sometimes, they'll add an "lol" to it...

• Which makes it much easier to take them seriously!

• I would sign this petition. Anonymous feature should ONLY be used to hide personal or embarrassing information. Not so someone can hide their username and assault other members on a regular basis.

An alternate proposal: A report feature called "No Anonymity Necessary" or something along those lines that, when no reason to be anonymous is present, a moderator may force a user to stop being anonymous on that particular post.

• Interesting proposal. I'd e in favor of that.

Also, I think it should be possible to block an anoymous user. I know, it's contradicting the while purpose of the anonymity, but that's something that really bugs me.

• You can always trade it in for 2 highfives. One from me - the other from Patrick Swayze's ghost!

• Patrick Swaye's ghost from the movie "Ghost" or Patrick Swayze's actual ghost?

• Totally agree.. I've been saying this for years to no avail. Remember the age profile.. most are US teenagers deathly afraid of peer pressure and without much integrity. They want to hide and badmouth anyone who disagrees with their cliques without any accountability, even to a user icon.

That said, I still hope there can be some limitations. As it is, we have NO idea who the person is who is asking or answering most questions, which limits how much we can
    'advise' them.

• Hey Saves, YOUR price will be a nice compliment - hope the GAG administrators take your excellent idea into consideration.
    Instead of continuing to see the nice people leave GAG in disappointment about the site, it's time for action!
    I support the use of the anonymous option for things like physical problems which people want to seek advice on. But NOT for "hate questions". Or questions like "are... inferior to our people".
    Let your question be a wake-up call for some people :-)

• Thanks!

• I'll try. :) You do the same.

• Count on it - and if you read something from me that could have been better, feedback welcome :-)

• I think instead of limiting the number of anonymous questions and opinions, start charging users Xper points for going anonymous. Users either get Xper points deducted form their account by going anonymous or they simply get no points from their question/opinion for going anonymous.

• I don't see any harm even if someone asks/answers anonymously all the time. Its that person's choice. There's no valid reason to restrict anonymous questions or answers by the site, so they have left that choice to the site's members.

I don't hesitate to say that over 90% of my questions are anonymous too, because they're too embarrassing or controversial (although my answers aren't usually anonymous). No big deal. The option of being anonymous allows people to get help for issues which they could never have asked non-anonymously. So no complaints here, I'm cool with tge current system. In fact, I probably won't be using GAG anymore if anonymous posts are restricted.

• Well, like I said, a lot of people take advantage of it. And that's what I'm trying to find a solution for here.

• This feature is actually MEANT to be taken advantage of, when its otherwise not possible to show one's true identity. What you're talking about is 'misuse', and not 'taking advantage'. And the mods do their job if things get out of hand. The pros of unrestricted anonymous posts far outweigh the cons,.

• Okay, you very obviously don#t understand what I mean by "taking advantage of".

• There are some people who just post -everything- anon. Even when its not remotely controversial.

Then they complain blocking doesn't work properly.

• Do they?

I mean, I have complained about that myself before. Haha.

• Well used to be that it worked how 'they' wanted, so there were a few people who asked everything anon, and i'd be blocked by them, had no clue who it was. But at some point they changed it so if you post anon blocked people can answer. since if you knew who had blocked you, it would blow their anonymity. So the perm-anon people essentially can't block any more.

• Right, that makes sense.

• I personally think there should be restrictions on blocking, and not anonymity, albeit I personally prefer posting with my name out in the open, even though it tends to mean more vulnerability. Overall, there is a 5 question daily limit already, any more limits and this website would be really hard to use. XD

• well it looks like what ever I vote you get a prize :) but it will just have to be a surprise

I agree anonymous post are ok some times for some things, but recently I see it being abused a good example would be that 18-24 year guy tat was on one of your reply's a little while back and he is the same one post who knows how many absurd questions mostly with the intent to provoke people and hide behind the anonymous

• Your prize is free alcohol of your choice for a whole night. But yeah, I feel like the anon ability gets abused here and there, general trolling. I mean I can understand needing to go anon for embarrassing questions, but you shouldn't need to go anon for opinions. They are your opinions, have the guts to stand by them.

• I don't see what the issue is. If people want to go anon 100% of the time they can. If you don't want anon answering your question you are allowed to restrict anon answers much like you did here. If you don't want people asking anon questions, you are free to ignore anybody who posts an anonymous question. Nobody is forcing you to read it or argue with somebody who is anonymous. If enough people do that, nobody who goes anon gets very my answers to their question and they will naturally opt to not use anonymous because it would mean they get more answers by not doing so.

So I don't see any reason to restrict the anon option. What's in place now works just fine in combination with free will to not engage in anonymous users.

Your consolation prize is a virtual hug for being an good person regardless of differing opinion.

• Pah. Keep your hug. :P

I wholeheartedly disagree. :)

• If ignoring was the solution to everything on here, we wouldn't even need a blocking option. Haha.

• I still do think it's an issue that people are abusing it, yes. I'm also aware that there's not really a solution the admins would consider. Not yet.

• I agree. I think if it was restricted and only allow like 3 per 24 hrs or something.

• Really? Must have been long ago I suppose?

• No I was saying It should be like that. Like have a reasonable number of anon questions and anon opinions a person can use per 24 hrs. Maybe have it start with a lower number and go up as your xper goes up or something. The people that are too scared to say what their fav color is and not be anon is ridiculous.

• Ah, sorry for the misunderstanding. And yeah, I agree!

• They Should have Restrictions. People seem to 12 ft tall when posting anon.

And I can't see why mods won't name & shame trolls.

• Because mods can't can't see who is anonymous only admins can, and I doubt they would expose who anonymous users are.

• I think to post or make an opinion anon should cost Xper each time you do it.

• That's not a bad suggestion either! I like that idea.

• oh it would also help if you had to be like level 3 in hopes it would prevent people from making new accounts just to post anon.

• Agreed!

• I agree. It's ridiculous when you ask a question like "what's your favorite food?" And they answer anonymously -.- like really?
    I've also noticed a bunch of anonymous posts, it's annoying as well.

• Ummm... maybe it should be limited, but your suggestion is a bit too restrictive because not many people may comment. But you're right, i'm sick of dutchbags with bad spelling commenting on my questions.
    Maybe only 1 anonymous post allowed a day.

• Yeah, at leats some kind of restriction. Like I said, my suggestion was just meant as an example.

• too many people are insecure, anonymous may help them but not when they overuse it and start trolling and acting stupid.

• Unfortunately that seems to be impossible to avoid... :/

• you have a fact there. but it needs some polish up work as doing so calls for more problems

• I know, the proper solution is out there somwhere, but no one knows yet what it is...

• i strongly disagree. limiting anonymous posting would make some users uncomfortable about speaking their minds on certain issues and thus compromise the value that an internet forum of this nature offers. i understand the concern but i just think it's minutia.

besides, we're all anonymous here anyway, unless we choose to post our personal info in our profiles, so i don't see the point.

• "besides, we're all anonymous here anyway"

Exactly. So I personally often don't see the point of posting anonymously anyway.

• The damage being done would be to the business, that's why the site owner's would never even consider my or a similar suggestion. But I don't think it would be a damage at all to the community, to the contrary. And that's all I was asking, what we, the users, would think about this.

But yeah, thanks for sharing your opinion, I appreciate it. :)

• i disagree that it wouldn't be damaging to the community because we would get fewer honest opinions. yeah we get trolls and assholes too but that comes with the territory and we should all have a thick enough skin to not take them seriously or we shouldn't be on an internet forum.

anyway, just my opinion, of course. :)

cheers

• I think this is question was asked in pure spitefulness of the anon community: If you don't like people using the anonymous option, or you feel molested by some of these "controversial" questions, don't answer them - simple as.

There shouldn't be a limit on anonymous questions simply because there're plenty of girls and boys out there giving very personal and embarrassing information out there - let them be, you sound a bit immature sorry.

• I think you misunderstood the intention of my question/suggestion...

And you sound immature to jump to such conclusions so quickly. Don't be rude, okay?

• Listen, I don't want to act as a courier - you go do it yourself, I've already seen the posts.

I'm not acting like a child, I'm giving my opinion - don't like it? get a grip and don't answer :)

• http://www.girlsaskguys.com/user/saves/questions

Nothing there. Yep, you're confusing me with someone else. :)

It's not your opinion that's childish, it's your hostile attitude against me. I haven't done anything to you, so be respectful.

• I agree and you won a cookie !

• i don´t agree. i use the anonymous posting because i am otherwise quite inhibited about some topics but i still want to give my honest opinion.
    i agree that some people use it to talk shit and be mean. thats something that needs to be prevented.

• Let people post anonymously, who cares lol

• I never suggested people couldn't post anonymously anymore...

• I know that but I don't think people should be limited in doing something like that, I think that we are lucky that anyone wants to answer questions whether they are question about needed help or advice or just to bring some fun to he site.

If people are posting stuff anonymously and being rude or obnoxious then they should be reported, I'm sure somewhere in the system someone knows who us posting anonymously

• Yes, the admins know it. But honestly, I see far more posts that should be removed that won't be removed, than ones that do get removed. Reporting often doesn't help...

• I decline , with search engines being extremely good these days everyone should be able to hide behind the anonymous name.

As your price we will rename your username to Anonymous.

• I think you misunderstood my whole idea. I never suggested to remove the anoymous option. :)

And I decline your prize!

• I get that your wanting to limit it but all your doing is punishing the active users on the site that don't want there private lifes or deepest secrets out in the open.

• Not at all, I'm simply suggesting that users can't *overuse" it. When a user is anonymous 90% of the time, then that's overusage in my eyes.

But I respect your view on it. That was the purpose of my question. To find out what others think of it. :)

• the only one i want to happen is if you go anonymous, you shouldn't have the option of not allowing anonymous answers. its hypocritical

• This. +1. Otherwise, I think anonymity is a pretty cool feature.

• Just, lets focus on nature of question rather than concentrating on who and what is all about it. i always felt anon is one of the great features of GAG..

• I too think it's an important feature. That's why I'd never want it to be removed completely, just restricted.

• I don't quite see it that way. But thanks for your input!

• welcome saves.. :)

• Nah... leave us alone. Just don't mind us because we love to lurk. We chose to be invisible.

• I don't even know what you're talking about. I never said I want to anonymous feature gone. I was just providing ideas on how to solve the abuse problem and the fact that there are more anonymous posts on here than non anonymous posts. The community feel gets lost more and more...

• Thank you :)

• I find it a little pathetic, to be honest. Since your profile is basically anonymous anyways, the only reason why you'd still want to post all of your posts anonymously, must be that you don't want people to connect them all to you. Sounds like you're pretty much a troll. Well, I know how to avoid such trolls. Bye. :)

• I wouldn't really care. I don't see what's wrong with it now. They are taking advantage? Who cares who the person asking is anyway

• I don't care who the person asking is. But I do care when they take advantage of their anonymous postion.

• The anon function is there for a reason, some people abuse it and use it to hide but thats honestly to be expected. I dont think it needs to change I think its fine as it is.

• Do you have any other suggestions how to reduce the abuse and trolling of anonymous users?

• Of course I own this opinion as GAG so nicely points out for the world.

• You're right, so actually you didn't give it!

• More from Guys
    10

What Girls Said 12

• I disagree. While I can understand your frustrations, the anonymous function is not abused all the time. I don't think the site should restrict the usage of it for everyone just because a few idiots decide to troll and abuse it.

Plenty of people use the function simply because they like having that "extra" anonymity and they don't abuse it. I think if you see someone abusing it, just report the post and the user.

• I don't think restrictions are needed. Just because you're posting anonymously, it doesn't make you less a member than any other and if these people in particular are taking advantage, than that's sort of a moderation issue, isn't it?

I don't know, questions where anonymous posters aren't allowed to answer seem more debatable to me. In general, just because some people feel very comfortable here to show their ID, post their real pics, etc., doesn't mean the contribution of the ones who don't is less valid or with lower quality.

• I never said users who post anonymously are less valid or with lower quality, neither have I every said to remove the anonymous option. I'm merely looking for a solution regarding the abuse. Also do I think the site is more and more turning into a very faceless, alienated forum, seeing how the majority of questions are being posted anonymously.

Let me use BCRanger10's example:
      "Hey! What's your favorite flavor of ice cream?"

Why does someone feel the need to post something like this anonymously? I just feel that it's gotten out of hand a bit...

• Yeah, unfortunately that's simply not the case for the most part...

All I'm saying is there needs to be done something about this site turning more and more into a joke where people mostly ask idiotic questions and/or into a playground for trolls.

• I agree on that, but not sure if restricting the anonymous posters would do the trick. Perhaps some penalty scheme for posting senseless things, or some sort of guide on which topics are allowed.
      To go back to your example, I see no relevance on questions such as "What's your favorite flavor of ice cream?" unless it's a poll or something, and sex is discussed so often and with so much detail here we could probably turn GAG into a sexual advice forum altogether!

• GIVE THIS WOMAN A PRIZE! haha No but seriously people do take advantage of posting anonymous which is why I won't allow those opinions to be posted on my questions anymore. You know the anonymous who hide behind the title and are super bitchy or assholes cause no one can tell its them. I'm all for it though in more serious cases I understand why people post anonymous but it's abused far to often to hurt others.

• Well i guess it depends on the topic.. I like to use it when i talk about anything personal or something that's a sensitive subject to me.. Like in my case childhood - teen experiences. On the other hand I have seen some people just be plain rude using the anon. Option. Calling names etc. There should probably be like a limit, if you get too many down votes on lets say 5 anon. Comments you aren't able to comment anon. For some period of time. My opinion :)

• I think we all have the right to use it but some people seem to use it too often or I see it too much on a lot of questions. It does annoy me, I'm not going to lie I used it when I started but like a hand full of times but rarely or never use it.

• The majority of my questions I feel are embarrassing so I prefer to ask anonymously. I don't have any sexual experience at my age (I'm a virgin) and it's kind of weird for someone in my age group not to. So some of the questions I ask might be something people would think someone in the younger groups would ask. I know it still shows my age group, but those questions won't be associated with this username. It's embarrassing to admit I know nothing about sex at my age when younger people do.

• Some things on this site can be quite difficult for people to talk about when not anonymous. Even though the noone knows the account there is still the feeling that the person themself will be negatively received. I think it's fine the way it is.

• But I never said anything about removing the anonymous option. My idea is to restrict it, so it's not being overused and/or abused.

• If you don't want a cookie you can have some tea and biscuits.

• I'll take that, thanks.

• I completely disagree. I go anonymous a lot of times because I'm a very private person I wouldn't want GaGers to be up in my business. If they were to restrict it I wouldn't come often.

• Well, all the naughty questions will disappear. ^^" At least most of them. XP

• I'd still post naughty questions, jsut for you! :P

And by the way, I was merely suggesting a restriction, not the removal of the anonymous option. I'm in total favor of an anonymous option.

• Yay! Naughty questions~! XD

• No reward for you but I do feel its being abused and your suggestion is valid

• I think there should be some kind of limit or restriction.

• I noticed that when I block the anonymous feature on my questions less people answer.

I guess limiting the feature would make less people use this site

I guess the anon feature is like gags "trademark"