Long time users: are you getting over GAG?

More specifically, do you think GAG is getting increasingly negative?

I usually come on here to procrastinate and amuse myself by exchanging opinions, etc. I don't know if it's just me, but lately I've been feeling miserable on here. There are so many negative, judgmental and intolerant people as of late. I mean, they've always been around, but lately they seem more common.

Is it just me or are others noticing too?

Most Helpful Guy

• I think it's more difficult if you have a pic, because you're putting more of yourself out there. And as I've been saying a lot recently, haha, weak people empower themselves by trying to put those they subconsciously perceive as the enemy, down. But the truth of the human condition is such that, every person is suffering, and those we perceive as being lofty and free of cares, are suffering just as much as any body else, and also have periods of vulnerability and extreme lows.

I definitely notice what you do. Sometimes browsing this site, depresses me, because I think it is reflective, perhaps even more honest than, wider society, with the anonymity of the internet. And people seem so self -serving, so materialistic, so devoid of care and affection. But we must not forget too, that these people also, are suffering, struggling under the yoke of societal conditioning, feeling the need to do something, achieve, be someone, be something worthwhile. Not get lost under the swamp of life.

Anywho. The brightest flames burn quickest, to use a cliche. I notice a lot of very heavy users, burn themselves out quickly, and often leave within say, three months. Where as the more stable and moderate, such as myself, although flirting with leaving, don't seem to.

If you're implying that you're considering leaving, please don't. The site would be a lot less joyous, and sane, without you :)

• I think you're right. Upon reflection, I do assume the people are just devoid of compassion rather than recognise that they likely have their own battles and reasons for their opinions.

And no plans for leaving just yet, though it's nice to know I'd be missed!

• Cheers, but you don't have to reciprocate simply cause I said something nice ;)

• I didn't feel obligated to do so, it was just relevant :)

What Guys Said 22

• I feel like the crazies are starting to come out of the woodwork. Way too many loaded questions looking to support a certain stance, too much religious and political agenda, and no one ever seems to be looking for insight and debate, its just people yelling over each other and looking to stand on a soapbox. Also, "some people" ask the same goddamn question over and over and over and over, and never seem to want to make any changes in theirselves, they just want to hear that everything will be OK and want to yell at anyone who makes any type of suggestions involving self-improvement.

• I find GAG the most productive & relaxing thing to do in whatever free time I have. It's a lot better than playing a game or watching television :)

I do take most questions seriously and dabble in fun questions from time to time - breaks the monotony :)

Negative, judgmental and intolerant people have always existed here & everywhere, it may just be that you are coming across them more as of now :) I find such people fun to toy with :D If they go beyond a point then I take a call if to answer them or not but I don't let them get to me :D

• Eh I've been over it for a while. There was a time I had quite a few close friends here that I'd chat with frequently. There was a time when I put a lot of time into my answers instead of just joking about everything and spewing nonsense about how awesome I am. I'll still stay because I want to maintain contact with those who I'd genuinely miss without them in my life at all which sounds kind of sad in a way.

I have learned a few major life lessons through this site though and I have to say it has influenced me more than any other website. I think it has taught me something of charm and diplomacy as well. I used to think I didn't know how to communicate with people or that I was somehow missing something but I'm learning that both online and offline people find me quite charming. So yeah I have a lot to thank this site for but I have in a sense been "over it" for quite a while.

• Im not sure what you consider long time user, but since I started on this site I can say that there has been a bit of a down turn in the threads and questions on here. A lot more trolling and a lot more ignorance and intolerance. Though this site had plenty of trolls to begin with, I think there are more, or maybe its just some weird cycle this site goes through. Ask an intelligent question get a bunch of really out there responses. I used to put a lot of effort into my answers, but now not so much. Not that I dont say what should be said. Im just a lot less wordy. I've been in debate for a bit about this place.

• You're certainly not alone! More and more people have been leaving GAG and those who persist would like to see a better policy to limit the hate messages or judgmental questions.

Most of us also don't appreciate the latest changes on GAG. For example no longer being able to select multiple topics for a question made the nr of answers decrease. People follow topics, so 1 topic will trigger fewer answers.

However, I must say that personally I manage to look over the questions that are not interesting. I'll pick out those that are fine and answer them.

A suggestion is to follow peope you trust and to walk through their questions when you visit GAG. After some time, you start to know who are the serious people. That works for me.

You're one of the people I consider thrustworthy :-)

• Do you mean trustworthy? Haha!

It's not necessarily a lack of interesting questions, but more about nasty/unhelpful responses to actual questions that's disappointing.

• Hahah no need to apologise the error just made it funny. And will do :)

• I think the "experienced" GAG'ers should more or less try to set the example. Let's do our best to give quality answers and be kind to people. Out with the hate messages, useless answers and other nonsense :-)

• I came back not too long ago, and I'm trying to share my current views. Some are beneficial, some (like that "trans shouldn't be treated as the other gender because their adherence to traditional opposite-genderity maintains gender roles which is bad" had more attackable points than usefulness) need some refinement. As long as I can try to make the world better and even change the opinion of one or two people for the better, my presence here was worthwhile.

People are negative all the time, by the way. They're here for advice, and most hope-lost people can be negative. I can't blame them. It's our task to make them see another alternative perspective that would make them function better as people. You tend to be good at this, if I recall correctly.

• You're probably right, but tbh I don't think I pay much attention to it. I mean I understand they feel that way but I don't take it personally and very rarely get upset cause I know it's just their circumstance that's lead them to that point. Also I usually just follow the questions or people I like around, but omg so many people are leaving lately :( Hopefully they come back though :/ I hope you don't leave because you do bring a good attitude and perspective! Lovely pic btw!

• Thank you :)

It's not necessarily my interactions with people, but those between others that makes me feel discouraged. A lot of people with genuine questions who are met with nastiness instead of sympathy/compassion, etc. I'm a positive person but this makes me feel like the world is doomed haha.

• I think that last line hits the nail on the head. I'm finding GAG to be exhausting rather than entertaining. Negativity is tiresome!

• True but at least on here you can stop reading the comment and don't have to fake smile :p

This is why I rarely click on religious questions or really anything negative. Usually I'd just mess around. Basically I rarely get into a situation where I want to confront someone.

• I'm a new user and I've seen some pretty ridiculous questions on GAG so far, most involving teenage sex, drugs, and rate me pics. I tend to only give my opinions to questions that are hmm... how you say? relevant or interesting. The teenage sex advice questions are like a train wreck, cause you're thinking to yourself 'wow he's gonna end up in jail" or "she's gonna end up pregnant". The drug questions are hilarious, I came across one that asked "How do I put a heroin needle in my arm?" yeah... I'm not going to answer that. The rate me pics questions, good god they're annoying.

• Agreed lol u said it all

• @Asker So I think it comes down to three types of jerks on this site. 1) The kind that are bored and insult others for fun. 2) Those who're really messed up and insecure in real life so they want to take out their own anger on others. 3) And those who're trolls, I still don't know why trolls do what they do, could be for fun or because they have messed up lives also.

• @ArabianPwincess197 Thanks!

• I mean I have been around here for awhile, originally I was really into posting and answering questions, the major website changes have caused me to do less and less (removing chat, then taking away the chat bar, now the redesign that made it a clusterf$% and impossible to really find much) but the users I don't really pay much attention to if they are negative, but I have seen more complaints about users then ever before

• Been here since summer of 2010. I have noticed this place getting closer to the negative side but I still enjoy being here. The added negativity doesn't really bother me. I just skip anything I can't answer or don't like. It's that simple.

• I have been on here since May 7 th 2014
    and i don't have no problems yes there
    is both negative and positive stuff being
    said but i like this website so far cause
    it lacks bullying , judgmental people
    younger girls on here could call older
    guys creeps but they don't do it but
    course i respect all females

• Oh you're fresh on the block. I've been on here since around 2011 :P

• Yea well i been on some websites and the hate is so bad i left the sites
      but what hurts is when your bullied and judged without knowing someone :p

• Eh. I use it less. Wouldn't say I'm done with it. I hate that it takes 1000 more xp to get an amazon gift card now but on we go with it

• Eh, I notice a difference. But the difference I notice is the pace. There are no more discussions. If there's a good question, it doesn't last very long before everyone moves on to the next thing. The notable posters seem to all be moving on, and I'm kinda on the same page as Red Thread. I miss seeing palek's answers flood my timeline.

• I've had several accounts before this one... i don't think i've noticed... but i have a full time job now thats taking up more of my time. so maybe its just because i don't spend as much time on here as i used to.

I'll say this though i miss 2011 so much lol. that felt like the golden age on here for me :P

• Its still fine for procrastination I just find myself caring less about my answer then I did at one point in time. Not to say I just spew shit although granted sometimes I do.

Also maybe if you messaged me more you wouldn't be so damn sad you nerd.

• Whats being said on here? Which mudda effort need to be slaughtered? Im here @ ur command Ms. Insanity!

• It's always been cynical on here, the current generation's just a tad bit more pessimistic than the last so it seems worse xD

• I used to think that when i first started using gag but now i feel there are some really helpful and amazing people who truly care for your well being but you are right there are some haters lol

• I think it's just that more people are discovering gag.

• I came here, and saw some comments, trying to laugh, have fun, try my best to help GAGs

• Guess I must have joined at a bad time -- only joined about a week ago :L

• I feel the same way. I come on here for boredom really but it seems like there are a lot of rude and negative people. And there's a lot of under 18 sex questions lately.

What Girls Said 16

• When I first discovered this website, I was stoked about it. Because, I love
    questions and answers and I thought it was cool concept. I also thought that it was great
    that men and women finally had a place or way to try to understand each other. But,
    then after being here awhile I realized this site is not what I thought it was. Seeing
    all these people argue back and fourth like children over difference of opinion, it was just
    ridiclous. But, arguing always creates a negative vibe.

Now, it seems there isn't much fighting like that anymore. But, there is still a lot of negativity. Because, people like to feed into other peoples drama. *Example* Just the other day I saw question (that's since been deleted) and this guy was ranting and saying how "women were beat in his day and they should be beat now" Obviously, there's no denying how wrong that is. I don't condone violence on anyone (unless it's in defense of one's self or other person) But, I digress. So, instead of not answering his question at all or not feeding into what was saying. Every woman was like "You're a bastard, go die.". Now, I realize what he wrote was wrong. But, those answers just made his point and the negativity just continues. And, I think that's a BIG problem on here.

I'm a very observant person and in my opinion, I think people view people on here as people of the internet and not actual people of the world. Like, those rate me questions that people hate. Everybody on here see's person who's just fishing for compliments and totally annoying. I see person who's insecure and hoping one person will tell them "you're great just the way you are", because the world tells them they're not. I see people on here for what they are, people in the "real" world with story's and experiences (be them good bad or otherwise). Seeking guidence and shelter from a cruel judgmental world.

• This world is a VERY negative place in general, so when people come on here they bring those bad experiences, insecurity issues and bitterness towards the opposite gender on here. Because, of what happened in there " real" life. But, people don't realize that. They just think they're people of the internet wanting to start trouble, whine and complain. When really they're just seeking advice.

So, until people change there mindset and realize people on here are people of the world. They're actual human beings, who want help (some may not go about it the right way). I think there will always be negativity on this website.Because, of the way people see people on here. That's just my opinion though.

Sorry, my anwser is so long winded. I've just wanted to say this for a while and your question gave me the opportunity to do that. But, sorry it was so long : (

• You said a lot of important things, especially about people thinking users aren't real people. So true. Thanks for the effort you put into your answer :)

• You're welcome : )

• Not really. I still plan on being here for a while.

I understand where you're coming from though. There are a lot of users who just bring negative energy to the site. They aren't here to give and receive advice, they just want to stir up drama. It sucks but, like you said, people like that have always been here. I think you're just noticing it more since those types of users have started causing valuable members of the site to leave. It's frustrating. But, like I said, I don't think there are any more than there has always been. I still see users who give good, insightful, and thoughtful advice and who are still positive and legitimately want to help.

• I have been noticing the exact same thing, you're definitely not alone thinking this. A few users have actually left because of that, and in particular because of a few certain users who are kind of responsible for this new trend.

There are certain users who suddenly appeared (I won't say any names, of course), who quickly climbed the Xper ladder and are now Guru status, only by posting like a trillion super short, completely meaningless answers everywhere, and never contributing any insightful opinions, only the same few short statements over and over again. Yet they're "top users".

And the way I see it (and quite a few others as well, who I have talked to about this), these users have turned the site more and more into a playground for antagonistic show-offs and trolls.

• P.S.: I used to have a different account and have been on here since, all in all, 2009.

• Seriously? My comment gets removed and assholes like our porn-glasses pedobear keeps posting one offensive opinion after another. What a fucking joke this site has become

• I've been around for years and the website changes have changed the culture of the site somewhat, it is hard to say exactly if its more negative, i find that with so many categories it is super difficult to really have a handle on what kinds of comments are showing up anymore

• Yes definitely. I take Breaks from this site

• Yeah. I have been noticing these. I am not a long time user though. But i can say, i feel the negativity here sometimes. I can honestly say, i feel the same negative energy on Earth too.

Negativity is everywhere. People are intolerant, ungrateful and uggly ( mentally) sometimes. They are everywhere. This is not your fault. Not mine either. So I don't burn the bridges just because of some douchebags. World is TOO beautiful to do that. And obviously there are also very lovely human beings too , and they make our lives beautiful. I am very happy to meet them.

You are very lovely person. It would be very sad, if you ever left :)

• I doubt I classify as a long term user but I agree with what you're saying. As of late I've just been avoiding most questions that could be considered controversial because I don't feel that people are keeping the debate civil.
    I also feel like I'm answering the same 5 questions over and over again.

• Well I've been here since January 2013 and I come here to help people or when I am bored, I even prove my point to those negative, judgmental people sometimes lol, even made 2-3 friends here that I chat with frequently. There are some really annoying questions on a daily basis, but I try to avoid them and answer to people whose question I feel are interesting or have something to say. But in a year and a half I'll go to med school so probably I won't have so much time to spen here daily, but I hope I'll keep contact with the friends I made here at least.

• I've been here since 2012. Sometimes I get really into gag, and then I don't spend any time on here at all.

• yeah i've noticed this too...some users are really rude

• I've only been on GaG since 2013, and I've noticed it's changed a lot since even then. At least before it was possible to get a gift card for all the negativity and antagonizing lol:) But really, it seems like an influx of a very similar-minded wave of people are kind of taking over. The fact that a lot of the older (nicer) people have left make them that much more apparent.

• There are a lot of rude and unnecessarily mean people on here. It's the Internet it is expected just avoid and click out of questions that feature these people.

• A little bit yes

• can't say that i've noticed, i haven't been paying much attention i guess

• I think others are noticing and thats why we see a lot of them leave. Since I been here I have noticed some users are just negative.

• I come here in spurts. Stay a month or two. Leave. Come back 4 months later.

• i think a lot of people feel like this and its a shame many have left cos of it :(