Should GAG get an edit/remove option?

I think many of us had that moment where you wish you could edit or delete something you said.

Maybe because you didn't explain it well. Maybe because you realized you shouldn't have said it in the first place.

So what do you think about this?

• Yes, for questions only
  • Yes, for opinions and comments only
  • No, its fine how it is.
  • See results / Other
  • Yes, for both
For those of you who are again'st the idea.
Would GaG be ruined for you if this was still added?

Most Helpful Girl

• This is something we've been thinking about for a while.
    We go back and forth, weighing the pros and cons, and unfortunately, the cons outweigh the pros.

► First of all, we want as much helpful content on the site at all times. Giving members the option to delete their own posts would drastically decrease the amount of content available on the site at any given time, whether it's a question, an opinion, a comment, or an article.
    ► Secondly, we anticipate a great abuse of the ability by many. From people posting something offensive and changing it after they receive criticism to posts being completely changed from what was originally said and confusing members. It would be much more difficult to keep track of what users were saying what. Constant ever-changing posts would simply cause too much confusion for everyone - would there be notifications for every change, or every deletion? How would a member know if an opinion owner changed what they said? Or deleted it? How often would MH percentage change? On and on.
    ► Thirdly, it wouldn't be fair to those who've taken great care to share on a question only to have the question asker delete the question later, completely removing quality content that we actually want on the site, quality content that a member is proud of.
    ► Also, with members constantly controlling what was edited or deleted, Xper points would be incredibly difficult to calculate and accurately keep track of.

Most browsers come equipped with spell check, and we always encourage everyone to check what they write before clicking Submit. We also want everyone to carefully consider what they decide post to avoid "post regret". Think before you speak, kind of thing.

We do, as always, appreciate the feedback and will continue checking and discussing features like this :-)

• I see it has been something considered and abuse seems to be the issue. Maybe a compromise could be give each member say five changes total per year. That way all their answers couldn't be changed and they'd have to used them carefully since they only have a limited number.

• Food for thought, thanks!
      We'll continue the discussions.
      Thanks for MH!

What Girls Said 11

• I don't think so. It would probably be highly abused. People would make an offensive post and then if they get backlash for it, they would just edit it to say something else. I think a lot of people would just be changing their answers all together.

I realize a lot of people make typos, myself included, but that's why I always re-read my posts before submitting to hopefully catch and correct my mistakes before posting it.

• Seriously, you're a genious, why didn't I think of re-reading before?

• I don't know. I don't really think questions should be removed just because the Asker gets backlash. People should think about what they're posting so they don't regret it later on. Unless the post is truly offensive or antagonistic, it should remain in my opinion.

• @ Asker.
      Very simple. Hide it trough Anon mode. If you decide to quit. Then leave your account private and active for awhile and come back after months.
      If you want to delete your question you can spam your own question. it happened to me once coz i spammed my own question and it was deleted by GAG but im not really sure of this method but it happened to me.

• Yes, an edit function would be nice. Also, you should be able to see the unedited version, like on facebook, to make sure that said person didn't completely change their question/opinion. Maybe there should be a limited amount of characters that you could change as well, simply so that you could only correct typos and not rewrite the whole thing.
    I don't think there should be a remove option, though.

• That's why you proof read before you send, or make the corrections by going to comments

• That should go away over time.
      Other sites deal with this quite nicely by saying the post was edited.
      My suggestion would be something like : This post was changed 9 minutes ago and 16 words where changed.

• If it limited, yea why not.

• Sometimes I come up a well-thought out opinion but have a really noticeable typo or omitted word. It really bugs me because I feel like others are probably distracted by it and the credibility of my comment is shattered, lol.
    In any social interaction, preconceptions are formed based on appearance/presentation. When that interaction is entirely text-based, spelling and grammar have a huge effect.

(but then, i have an innate gravitation towards editing things, so i dunno)

• Not having the option to edit our posts encourages us to think before we speak, and since we are unable to take back what's been said in the offline world, I do not see why we should be able to on here.

We're only human; we are imperfect and allowed to make mistakes. We are also allowed to practice humility by correcting our wrongs and apologizing to those we've hurt.

• No, its fine as it is. You can go to comment and revies your statement, or do try to back pedal on your original statement

• Of course, but sometimes a few typos slip by unnoticed anyway. And sometimes you forget to proofread :P

• Well, it's just easier to edit the post directly rather than correct yourself in a comment underneath it. It makes the reading experience more pleasant for the reader as well, since everything is as it should be, with no "correction notes" at the bottom. :P

• Yeah. That's why I suggested that there should be a limited amount of characters that you could edit. :)

• I want it so bad sometimes when I make a terrible mistake. But now that I think about it, it's not a good idea.

The whole GaG idea would probably be ruined, but I still wouldn't leave because I'm addicted to it now.

• YES! I haven't been on GAG for over a year until this week and looking back some of my questions and comments were very childish and I no longer want them associated with me! Sadly, no way to delete them!:/

• Yeah I think it will be a good idea if we could remove the comments we post or questions too

• No it's fine the way it is.

• One time i wanted to spell tests and my auto spell got me and spelled testes.. lmao and i was so embarrassed but it was funny now if you think about it.

• I like it the way it is..

What Guys Said 7

• I think most people would retroactively delete their questions, even me, which is uncool if you think about it. So basically I think there should be an edit/remove option on both questions and opinions and comments alike, BUT remove only if there was no reply, and edit only in the next 5 minutes.

• Yes, please. Me and other people have asked for this before. I think GaG is one of the few discussion sites left where you can't edit/delete at all. Forums, YouTube, Facebook, come on GaG get with the program.

• Maybe an edit for awkward typos and other mistakes, but not delete. I don't think it could work out though, as in the end you would be able to change your whole post and make people look stupid.

• I thought of that as well.
      For me personally the reasonable thing would be to delete a question but no edits on those.
      And to edit comments without deleting them. Obviously the comment should indicate when the last edit has been made so its obvious is someone is manipulating.

• Yes definitely they should, most forums have them now and so many people type off phones which makes a lot more spelling mistakes.

Bring on the edit option.

• Nope, that would just lead to all kinds of abuse. I honestly feel that its fine the way it is.

• Gag majes lots of spelling mistakes , so an option to correct them would be a good idea.

• Leave it as it is, i like the set up.