Anyone else gets annoyed by this on GaG?

I run into some people's answers repeatedly which gives me a good idea what their personality is like. Sometimes I get tempted to say hi or discuss a certain subject only to find that the person has a private profile. Why do you choose to have a private profile?

Most Helpful Girl

• You should just comment on their answers if you want to get to know them better.

I have a private profile because... I like having control over who can my posts.

• Oh I see, so that means I should just say Hi to you on a comment?

• Cool, except that.. it would be a bit weird that we're having a conversation for everyone else to see

• i suppose so- so then you should just send that person a personal message.

What Girls Said 13

• I just forgot to change it... On the old account mines wasn't private.

Also it's hard to know if someone follows you to follow them back. When you use to friend people you had to accept them so o knew. Now people can basically stock you and you would have no clue.

• People trying to date you is the reason a lot of users keep their profiles private.

I get at least one message a week from some random middle eastern guy trying to chat me up.

Used to keep my profile private because of it. Not anymore, because some of those messages are hilarious.

Last week this one guy told me I was a slut that fucked animals.

Lolwut?

• I don't have a private profile because I don't really care who reads what I post. I mean, Why care who sees your post when whoever views the question will see it anyway?

• I don't get annoyed and they have a private profile so they don't get messages from people they don't verify first

• Because they dont want everyone to know their information.

• I don't have a private one, but I still get weird messages from people and just ignore them. Some choose to have a private profile probably for that reason :)

• Because sometimes some users get annoyed a lot sometimes and would rather not talk to people

• It carried over from when GaG changed i know when it changed I had a private profile and I didn't set it that way

• Yes, happened to me too. It sucks a bit.

• Yes. That is annoying I wanted to talk to a GaGer just to see my message won't go through 😢😭

• Im new here but im noticing there are some really stupid and annoying questions

• do you have an example?

• Wish you all the best!

• GAG houses all sorts of people and many feel much safer and happier knowing that not just anyone can PM them.
    You can mention wanting to discuss it further in opinions/comments and go from there. If they Follow you, you'll be able to PM them :-)

• They probably got harassing messages in the last and now want to be left alone

What Guys Said 9

• I can't blame some people. When I first started using this site I was getting walls of text from people's ex-s/o situations and granted I'd just ignore them for the most part... but then people were getting pissed off at me. I don't think mine's private, but I don't blame people.

• I'm sure that people choose to set their profiles to private for various reasons. They don't want to receive lots of weird messages, they don't want people to be able to stalk them as easily, they don't want any of their personal information displayed, etc., etc.

Anyway, when I see someone has set their profile to private, I just assume that they've got their reasons, and it doesn't bother me.

You can always interact with them by answering their questions or commenting on opinions that you find interesting and whatnot.

• My profile is private just because it makes me feel more secure and comfortable. I don't post anything I would not want others to know about but I still like keeping things private. My Facebook profile is also very private. Now that I'm looking for a job again I totally hid my FB account just in case.

• Some people here have unfortunately been stalked with judgmental or hate messages... that's often why they make their profile private.
    That's the problem with a site like GAG: 90% of the people use it correctly and are kind to others. Their attitude is to discuss and try to help.
    But 10% just don't want to abide by the rules. They give judgmental answers, send hate messages or abuse the site as dating site. And than I don't mean dating someone you've known on GAG for 2 years, but registring as a new user and starting to send people messages "hey I like your profile...".
    The only thing we can do, all together, is trying to give the good example :-)

• because it's a privilege and i think this is not your concern if the user choose to have a profile private. You can quit anytime bud.

• Just drop a reply on their opinion asking them to follow you or message you.

• Because, they do not want random people like you messaging them

• nope never

• oh wait yeah once but only cause someone asked for information and I tried to message the details

• I turned my profile private just 5 minutes back. My reason- some people are creepy here.