Do you like to debate with fellow GAGers?

I don't because I don't have the enthusiasm, energy, strength, good reasoning and powerful English vocabulary to do so and hence my opponents always win. Haha. What about you?

• Yes, I like to debate with fellow GAGers.
  • No, I don't.

Most Helpful Guy

• I used to debate with everyone, but I've begun winding down the past 2-3 years

Ripping people apart verbally and twisting people's arm with their own logic is something I used to specialize in, but it takes a surprisingly large amount of brain power to do it. You have to examine their logic, measure it from a hypocritical standpoint, and then apply it to their own actions, all the while keeping pace with your point.

I've torn apart many people on the internet, GAG included, and managed to logically back many people into a corner (most of the time it results in a "mental blue screen of death" or them blowing up and walking away when they finally run out of hypocritical logic), but it leaves me mentally exhausted and kind of chips away at my brain.

I guess it's worn on me over the years.

• But I always like your arguments and enjoy watching you "hammering" those people :)

• Good percentage, Not bad, Thanks.
      Okay Good Luck then. :)

• Oh yes, the mind warrior in GAG.

What Guys Said 18

• I try to debate with everyone but people are meek. If you validate them, they'll love you. If you speak truth - for their own sake - they'll think that you are angry, you're sadist, you're rude. How sweet.

• Thanks for answering this old question. I rarely debate/argue with people, both in life and on GAG. I very much prefer to DISCUSS things with them instead as I value harmony and peace with people very much. And I don't have to always win as we aren't in a court. A lot of times we see people's true colours when we don't argue back.

I have been to some acquaintances' court cases before and I could see that the prosecutors and defense attorneys in my country are really composed.

People in real life are often speechless at what come out of my mouth when I really ARGUE back. Because when I do, I usually make sure that I give them a long good lecture for the stupid things that they do and usually that's the end of my relationship with them.

• Interesting. But I don't know how to tolerate being proved wrong by someone. : /

"A lot of times we see people's true colours when we don't argue back."
      -Great :- )

• @But I don't know how to tolerate being proved wrong by someone.
      Argument may win the SITUATION but lose the person; patience may lose the situation but win the person.

I would rather lose an argument to a person I care about than to lose the person to an argument.
      I would rather let myself be wronged if winning an argument would let me lose him/her, unless it is something I consider immoral.

And sometimes I apologise to people even if they are obviously in the wrong because I value my relationship with them more than my pride. I think it takes a strong person to do this.

I actually see highly defensive people as very insecure so sometimes I feel sorry for them and pretend to let them win the argument.

Also, sometimes distancing ourselves from an argument is the best form of rebuttal. I don't attend most arguments.
      If there's a problem, I like to sit down calmly with the person to discuss. If I do debate, it is usually in a playful and relaxed manner :- )

• I debate only if the output is something productive. I won't debate cause someone has a fixation and thinks I have a fixation lol

• I enjoy well thought out critical debate. But it depends on the subject, a lot of people bought into simplistic one dimensional views of the world and most topics in general. A lot of people forget that philosophy teaches one how to think both critically and logically.

Generally I really enjoy a well thought out critical discussion on religion while involving history, science and philosophu. For the most part, it isn't very likely to find very critical people on GAG relating to religion, most people here have lost religion when they turned 12 then maintain their views right through adulthood. So I tend to do it less now and stick to listening and reading apologetics both atheist and theist

• The average age here is probably around 16, so I'd have to be pretty silly to debate anything here. US teenagers aren't known for deep knowledge of.. anything!

• If it's with someone that can have a proper debate, then yes. However, most of the people I find myself arguing with here are stubborn, misinformed, and incapable of having a proper logical discussion.

• Not really, all the crazies come out if you mention half of the debate topics here (religion, race, gender roles, etc). I prefer having discussions with people

• Sure I do, and for me it's not about winning or losing. I respect others opinions and am eager to learn about the "why". I'll debate but not argue if a subject seems to be sensitive.
    Or I'll just kindly say that our opinions are different but that I understand his or hers. A bit of diplomacy :-)
    If you would be familiar with Belgian politics you'd know why we're so good in diplomacy and compromise haha...

• Really depends on the topic at hand, I'm not
    much for debating for the sake of debating.

But I do enjoy a good discussion as long
    as I feel I can get something out of it ^.~

• Not really. Many people think that those who can bark the loudest are the victors - reflective of the idiocy of politics I suppose. Good reasoning? Here, really? :P

• Occasionally. I like to hear different peoples points of view on things and become more knowledgeable about certain subjects. My goal is never really to "Defeat" the other person " Win" the argument but more to gain knowledge and insight.

Plus when you have heard everyone's point of view on something and examined a subject from every angle it gives you more ammo to defend your point of view.

Some people are very rude though. But that's life. Especially if its a subject they are fanatical about.

• The rules are too strict for me to be able to enjoy it the way I like it. I just block.

• I don't even have the strength to lift my finger to block them. I'm not talking about you, of course :)

• No, I will never block anyone but they are welcomed to block me :) Actually a lot of them are pitiful people, I feel, if we read their profiles and see what's going on in their lives. They have nobody to listen to them and so they use this site to vent, rant and yell.

• Ya. I would be happy to be argue with them if the rules were looser. As it is, they're just ban bait so I blow them away w/ the blockhammer.

• i love debating, despite my English being rather suboptimal. i am all up for losing a debate, because it means i will learn a lot from it and i think the intention has to be finding the truth and not winning an argument at all cost. if i´d allways win, it´d mean, that i allready know everything, therefore there would not be much reason for me to debate.

• I like a solid debate... although I avoid through topic of religion.

The other person is usually too bigoted in their views and would rather talk shit than debate.

• I juz realize dat now im starting to debate more than usual. If i have a strong ooint dat i wanna make, ill surely bash on them to hear meh out from now on lel

• If im feeling particularly up to it at that moment yeah, but really it depends on the topic however if I feel like the debate is going nowhere I won't waste my time.

• No, because it seems like every time someone tries to "debate" it's more of an argument where they constantly use logical fallacies to support their argument and to "defeat" mine.

• This site seems to house all of the most intellectually detached emotionally unintelligent and morally deprived individuals over the web combined. They do not see clear truth because they do not want to accept it into their own lives

What Girls Said 13

• Sometimes, it just depends. I'm happy to further explain my point of view on things if someone asks but I rarely like to get in arguments or really "debate" about my opinions. From past experiences, I have found that most people don't really want to have a clean, educated debate. They just want to name-call anyone who disagrees with them and throw insults. I don't like engaging in those types of encounters.

However, if someone comments on an answer of mine and I KNOW that they are a respectful user (from seeing them around the site and how they interact in situations like that) who may just be challenging my point of view, I will comment back.

• I really don't!! Debates tend to get more personal with every comment and I can't really deal with that. Most of the time it starts out good but then turns into mess and someone starts getting subjective & emotional... sometimes it's me ^^ I try to avoid it. But sometimes something does pop up that I feel the need to comment on... then I usually regret it :D

• Debates? Yes.

On GaG? No.

Hell no.

Debate is virtually impossible here, because most users are prissy babies, who can't handle being questioned. Whenever you try to call someone out on their bullshit, they either scream "ITS MUH OPINIONS!!1!" or they just block you, of course leaving a shitty remark first that you can't reply to.

I don't even bother with topics like abortion, racism or religion, because it's just a fantastic circle jerk of spineless faggotry.

Hell, people get all up in arms if you casually swear and tell you to "calm down". Maybe that'd be more warranted, if the person was literally bashing their keyboard in raging caps lock, but casual swearing?

This website needs one gigantic pacifier.

• Yes. I love debating with people in real life, too. Debating to me is like two people putting their brain power together to see which one is right. From debating I can learn if my opinion on a matter is wrong or not. It allows me to other points of views. And also it makes me have even more appreciation for humans' ability to reason on things.

I hate debating with people who are dogmatic. People that, even if you have plenty of reasonable arguments that prove them wrong, they'll stick with their original opinion. I can't understand people who willfully stick to whatever they've decided upon even when you can prove to them that they're not right.

I also don't really enjoy discussions with people who have very weak opinions, or don't really know how to stand up for their opinions or explain why they think they're right. I have a few friends like that in real life, and conversations with them on certain things can be very uninteresting.

• I don't enjoy it as much as I used to. Some people here now are unwilling to acknowledge differing opinions, and that gets annoying.

• I like arguing with silly people. They make good entertainment.

• Not really... it gets boring quite fast especially if the other person refuses to listen to reason

• it depends on my mood and if the GAGer is worth it

• It is easy to rescue the world from internet, you know what I mean.

• No. My mind is set. Whatever they say won't make me change my view.

I really don't care what others think. I usually give them the reasoning. So they shut up lol.

• Same reasons as you and Im too lazy anyways...

• Intelligent debates?
    Yes

Petty fights?
    No

Some people don't understand the difference.
    Some feel as if they're being dismissed and disrespected when they're respectfully disagreed with.
    It's interesting how strong the need is in some, the need to be agreed with.

• If I'm bored enough I will but usually no