Anyone wonder why people answer/ask anonymously?

when it doesn't even seem like it was required? like the answer they give or the question they asked would in no way bring shame to them or embarrass them, have no negative repercussions, generally speaking, but I see a lot of people do anon anyways haahaha.

Most Helpful Girl

• I don't really care if people go anonymous or not. The option is there if they want to use it. I don't like when people abuse the function though, like to troll or antagonize people without the repercussion of being blocked by other users.

I understand users going anonymous for certain types of questions like sexuality questions, or for opinions that they don't want linked back to their username by other members or people who know them in real life. But what I don't understand is why people go anon to answer things like "What's your favourite TV show?"

• thaaatttss what im trying to get at! hahahah!:D

• I think it's not necessarily antagonization. sometimes you just can't get the message across properly without being negative, or questioning their behavior. I'm not talking about name-calling, of course. Nothing gets resolved by calling each other stupid. But when you tell someone that "yeah, you're the one wrong here" they tend to block you for some reason. People hate hearing the truth at times.

What Girls Said 12

• Well i dont mind! They probably just dont wanna post their usernames because they could have people they know on here in real! Its only weird when they go on anon for like a poll for your favourite song :D

• I don't really care when people go anonymous unless they're trolling or being antagonistic, otherwise, it doesn't bother me. Some people just like having that "extra" anonymity. It doesn't matter to me.

• I've had 4 people stalk me on this site so I sometimes ask questions anonymously. Fortunately I believe in Karma - something bad will happen to them.

• bahahahha right on! how did they stalk you?

• He could tell by my writing style and my choice of words.

• level 2 stalker fosho:P

• Just for the hell of it

• Some of them are embarrassed to say it or call it out so they go anonymously... so aslongs there not trolling in not annoyed lol (:

• Doesn't bother me because I do it myself here and there. Everyone has their reasons. I'll go anon on questions that I feel are too personal. I'll rarely go anon on answers unless I'm secretly 'mirin someone >:)

• I think people do it because they are to afraid of what people will think..

• From what I've been told, many people post anonymously to avoid other GAGers.
    They don't want to make friends here, they don't want to deal with people stalking them, harassing them, hating on them or their questions/opinions, etc.
    It's generally a less dramatic GAG experience when they post anonymously all the time.

• Sometimes I go anonymous when I answer a different question and it stays on and I don't realize it when I answer another one.

I went anonymous just for fun this time though :D

• I post too much :p I don't want people to see me all the time and think I'm a know it all lol

• There are alt of passive aggressive users on here who purposely troll certain users.

• Sometimes I do anonymous in case someone decides to stalk me and figures out who I am. Otherwise, it just feels good to be anonymous sometimes. Like now.

What Guys Said 9

• If there's one reason why it would be reasonable to go anon all the time is because so many people here have such fragile egos that the only way they can "win" an argument is by calling names at you then blocking you - if you go anon, they can't do that. Blocking is an overabused feature used by those who don't come here for the actual purpose of this website, which is to hear other people's perspectives - and they block anyone who has a perspective other than own. Then why are they even here?

But I'm proud of my name and GAG identity so I won't take that easy route. Even if that means that those unwilling to change and the close-minded fanatics who can't take a differing opinion will block me. Well, sh*t happens, really.

As for asking questions, I'm pretty sure that's because some questions are just a tad bit too personal, or they just don't want it to appear on their profile. Or so that those who overabused the blocking feature can post on it too.

• I don't care about anonymous usage unless the person is using it in a cowardly way (as in hiding behind it to troll or to be intentionally antagonistic / disrespectful).

• It is kind of funny because nothing on the internet is completely anonymous.

Guess they just don't want one question or answer to affect other questions or answers. if it is too controversial.

• They probably have their reasons, I don't
    really give it any further thought than that :3

• People would ignore them if they were visible. Or too many people hate them/blocked them.

• Not really. Some people just like to just have their anonymity

• multiple personality disorder..

• I go anon for pretty much all my answers and questions regardless. I prefer all my opinions being completely anonymous on principle. No claims of bias or prejudice, simply left with nothing but my opinion. Who I am or what I've said in the past shouldn't be important because in relation to this question, to this opinion, it isn't important.

Sometimes like when it comes to sports and world cup stuff though I do have a habit of not going anon, or if anon answers aren't allowed and I think highly of the asker I'll answer anyway.

• If people can't see you, they can't label you.