What are your views on "I'm going to suicide/what's the best way to commit suicide" questions on here? How would you answer them if you encounter one?

I've seen these type of questions here very often since I've joined the site like 2-3 year ago.
I don't understand why people don't appreciate their lives.
What are your views on that?
And how would you answer to them?
Thanks :)

*years ago

Most Helpful Girl

• I think some people on here really do have a problem. But some also, especially teens, live in their own little worlds, and when you only focus on your own problems, then your problems would appear larger than they are. A friend of mine got this lump removed out of her foot and she was so sad about how the scar damaged her feminine smooth skin, and talked about it every week. Meanwhile other people have much bigger scars on their chests and faces...

I don't think those people are seeking attentions by asking those questions. I think they genuinely think their lives suck and pointless and don't have the drive or energy to live it anymore (I am one of those people, I still sometimes feel that way, despite being on therapy). Some might be too drowned in their own thoughts, some might actually have REAL problems and their lives really suck.

Either way, you don't understand why people don't appreciate their lives because you've never been in a position so low or feel like you're such a failure that it would be better if you just don't exist anymore. You've never felt like you shouldn't have been born, that you're a mistake.

My mom got pregnant with me out of wedlock, she married my dad because I was already conceived, people were mean to her, judged her, her life totally changed. My parents are still together now, but I can't help but think in my subconscious how I wasn't planned, how I wasn't wanted in the first place, and how much misery my presence in my mother's belly has caused her. That and the high expectations she had for me, and my inability to fulfill it, made me just want to quit. I feel like such a disappointment and a waste of space on earth sometimes.

It's hard to appreciate your life if you don't have much to live for. If there's not much happiness and love in your life (the 2 things people usually hang on to and strive for in life and makes every problem bearable), then life would consist only of tasks and hard work. We then get exhausted.

What Girls Said 10

• I never answer questions like that. I'm not going to advise someone on how to take their own life. And most of the time, they don't want answers that actually try to tell them how precious life is and that they shouldn't commit suicide. So, I just avoid questions like that now. It really is a shame that some people feel the need to ask things like that though.

• I think most of the time... it's a cry for help, a call for attention. My response depends upon the context provided by the asker... if it's a genuine question, i'll give my whole rant on how it gets better and whatnot, possibly include the national suicide prevention hotline number. if it's just someone being stupid or joking around, i'll describe one way to do it.

• Honestly I think it's more for attention then anything. I mean I can't be positive obviously but if your going to do tht then don't share it with the internet. That sounds harsh... I don't mean it like that. I mean like if you were seriously going to attempt it. If that makes sense and also if people are going to post that I think there should be a way for admins to contact some help for them so they don't do something stupid. This is a serious issue and it shouldn't be taken lightly.

As for answering your question I choose not to answer these questions they are just upsetting. I might have answered one suicide question telling them not to do it.

But seriously there should be an override for anons with posting suicidal questions. They need help and not us telling them a method of suicide.

• They are in a very grim situation. But never thought it could authentically in a country like America.

• I would say don't suicide! Live your life to the fullest and be happy

• Happy Condolence :) jk

• Trust me, those people are not going to kill themselves.

• I don't answer them. I just tell them everything is going to be ok

They don't want to die , they just want someone to be there for them. I try to be that person if that's what they want

• You don't understand why they don't appreciate their lives because you don't have their life.
    I didn't understand either until it happened to me. There is just a time when killing yourself sounds better than going out of the house.
    Everyone should answer them reasons why they shouldn't do it, not "yelling" at them or tell them they're stupid, you'll help them just if you show you care. If you have a rude answer to give them, then you shouldn't say it.

• I don't call them stupid or an idiot.
      As a bachelor doctor, I've seen plenty of cases of suicide attempts.\
      Everyone has ups and downs in their lives , doesn't mean you should waste it by giving up.

If a person genuinely ask you how to quit life, would you show them the way regarding how to do that?

• I was not talking about you, but in general some people are being rude.
      Well I'm not sure I usually think about all the reasons they shouldn't kill themselves and tell them. Also, some people are weaker, that's why they want to kill themselves, and when no one is there to help you, not even your parents, you think about it as a good thing to do.
      Even with those thoughts, people are afraid to do it so I don't really know what problems you should have to actually do it.

• Fair enough.
      Thanks for your opinion by the way :)

What Guys Said 9

• I've come across them a cpl of times and opined on them if I could make any sense to them.

If you come across them send them to me :D let's c what can be done.

Most time I've realized that it's someone who just wants to talk or is a prankster :) In the latter I'd give them a few tips how to make it more effective lol

• "Oh, don't do that, there's so much to live for" is about the most stupid answer one can give in such a situation - those people have problems so serious that they doubt, that life is still worth it - something people, who are not in the situation, will never understand. Therefore such an answer is perceived like mockery by the asker.

The good part is, that people ask for help. Those who have made the decision, don't ask for help anymore, so everybody who asks for it, hasn't decided to kill himself yet.
    Take it seriously what they say but keep pointing towards professional aid - the only thing that can help in such a situation. We cannot do anything on here and that has to be made clear to them.

• It's hard to respond without knowing what exactly they are going through. But if someone asks that, I urge them to talk to someone about it, no matter how difficult that is, and to seek professional help if that is at all possible.

Psychotherapy, or any great battle in confronting the past or saying things to people that seem incredibly embarrassing and hard to bring up, is not shameful. If heroism is measured by great effort and courage, working through one's own demons is one of the most heroic things that can be done.

• I try to reach into them to, firstly, figure out why, they're
    thinking of ending their life. Then, I'll to the best of my ability
    tell them why suicide isn't the answer, I'll tell them that I've
    been in their situation, so I know how they feel, also gaining their
    trust (hopefully) this way.

But no, I generally don't enjoy suicide questions, I don't get
    it, you're humans, you have so many possibilities for greatness
    why throw something like that away? :3

• Actually under the FAQ if you go to accounts they have a suicide crisis line. While someone inside ring suicide might not want the help it might help if they have easy access to know resources for help. I try not o answer questions as I am not qualified to give advise and I'd feel stressed if I have to keep talking them out of it. It's not that I don't want to help though.

• I have no problem with people quitting the game we call life :)

• It would be nice if they'd just kill themselves already. They are wasting the planet's supply of oxygen.

• I tell them carbon monoxide poisoning is probably the most painless way.