Why is it that mundane questions get so many answers but when people genuinely need advice for their situation, only very few people answer?

I thought GAG is an advice site, but as far as I've seen, it's more like a place to hang out rather than a place for people who are genuinely confused and lost to get advice. Because people on here seem to not care when someone tells their difficult situation.

Most Helpful Girl

• Same reason why lowbrow reality shows get higher ratings on TV than challenging shows about important topics. Most people just prefer to turn off their brains and forget the problems in life when they can.

What Guys Said 9

• I know what you are saying.

I've only been here since January and have noticed a rapid decline in real content. It's getting sad really. There have been a few well liked, helpful member who have left in recent months because of what the admin are doing. Or more correctly not doing to keep things under control here.

With the live feed a question can fall off the first page in under a minute. And once it does, there is a good possibility it will never be seen. Because, well the 300 weekly questions asking members to "rate me" or "are my boobs/penis too small?" It's getting ridiculous.

I made a post earlier today touching on this and some of the other issues. As I said in that thread. I can see this site will not be in existence much longer if something isn't done soon.

• this site feels more like high school. So many kiddy stuff going around. We'll see what will happen to GAG if the good helpful members are decreasing and the people spouting useless crap are multiplicating.

• High school. That is a perfect description

• Listen I literally just joined. And it is a cool place to hang out. But I myself have given advice and seen good advice given to the "genuinely confused."

What in particular has disenchanted you? You have my ear (eyes).

• well usually because the the mundane shit is kept short and real advice shit is so damn fucking long holy shit:P seriously TLDR hahaaa. but no I feel you. when im in the mood I take the time to read everything.

• mind if I send you a question? It's not a wall of text, don't worry :) It's OK if you don't feel like giving advice now, whenever you feel like giving advice, I'd appreciate it :)

• yeah sure no problem:D I actually get that a lot! xD

• When it comes to difficult situations
    it's just that, difficult. Not many people will
    have a good answer.

Compared to the less serious topics, where
    an answer will be pretty easy to give ^~^

• A basic summary of GAG questions:
    "I'm a nice guy, but..."
    "Do you think I'm sexy?"
    "Black/White/Welsh guys all think that _____ (Usually about tits)"
    "I HAVE AN OPINION, READ IT AND REACT LIKE IT'S JERRY BLOOMIN' SPRINGAH"
    The actual proper things that need advice - and not the shite "I'm 11 and I haven't had sex yet, is this normal?" type - get buried under the nonsense :l

• I agree. I guess when it requires a bit of thinking, people just don't even bother.

• Pretty much. Even I'm guilty of it to be honest: I go to the generic questions and post a single word or something! xD

• That's a great question, it also came across my mind. I genuinely think it's because it requires less brain effort. Simple as that. Personal questions tend to be lengthy in comparison to the mundane, and most of all it requires musing to conjure up a response.

• I think it's because all the mundane questions are like "Rate me 1-10", "Am I ugly", "What's your favorite..", these questions are easily answered in one sentence. The more complex genuine questions tend to be longer and provoke thought, and most people are too lazy to read the question let alone give a decent answer.

When people actually need REAL help, they write almost 2 paragraphs explaining everything. That right there turns more people off. I like to read so i don't mind it. :p

• What advice do you need?

• They're most likely not seen. I typically just go by "live". I don't search for them or whatever

• the disappear quickly from live feed because no one bothers to post anything in it.

What Girls Said 7

• Because those are questions that are easy to answer and don't require much thought.

It's unfortunate since, as you said, this IS an advice site.

• read ironeddie's answer too. I think he's 100% right. instead of focusing more on the quality of the contents, the admins spend their time wondering where to put the "share to social media" buttons.

• I read his answer.

I think it's easy for users to judge or assume things about the admins but the truth is, no one knows exactly what they are doing. The moderation system is in place to help in the quality aspect of the posts here. But, I'm not an admin either so I don't know everything that goes on behind the scenes but I'm sure it's not easy to run a site like this with so many various members. I just try to give people the benefit of the doubt.

• Serious situation means you have to care, have some knowledge and invest time to think of an answer. Mundane "rate me on 10" questions requires very little brain activity.

• Because people don't know what to say so they don't say anything. It's hard to answer the really specific questions sometimes

• TBH when it's long i generally don't bother to read it. I do occasionally though but ill get half way through and loose my train of thought. so when asking for advice keep it basic when someone responds elaborate. I feel like that's the best way to get actual advice. But i can understand your frustration.

• hahahahaa! that's what im sayin! xD

• That's why I always try to structure my questions as well as I can, break them down in points, with hopes of people answering it, but still doesn't always work. People just won't bother to think.

• yeah its rough especially when you just need some input. just keep it a few lines as simple as possible and then get in depth as the advice starts flowing. people are more likely to read through other comments before commenting on the initial question. or thats what i do but when text is all clumped together I never can focus on it

• Because there is an abundance of these "mundane" questions being asked every 5 seconds. It's hard to actually catch a serious question. & even then, sometimes the serious questions have already been asked in a multitude of ways.

Plus, a lot of people are on here for the XP & rewards.

• People enjoy talking about themselves lol.

But really I think its because when there are a few answers to a serious problem, it feels like its been addressed already. Other questions are just too hard or ambiguous to answer.

• Because people want to answer easy questions