Does anyone ever really take GaG advice?

I have been on GaG for a few months and I have read and tried to help so many people with their worlds crashing down. Sometimes I catch someone just rewording their question to solicit new answers, glossing over great advice. Maybe not from me, but others too. Other times I see people asking for advice but will only support a Most Helpful when someone just agrees with them, ignoring what me and others would find to be terrible advice.

Have you ever asked something here and someone said something to you and it actually clicked and made sense, or took someone's suggestion and applied it to your situation? If so, did it work or make you feel better after doing it?

I'm curious to know how valued GaG answers are to people, as I know I'm one of those people when I try to help I'll actually work myself in to mode to actually help and not just be an asshat, and I'm not sure if it's worth the trouble if people just want light opinions and just to be agreed with.

• I really value the advice and apply it to my problem
  • I like the advice, but I am too scared to follow through
  • I'm here to socialize and find out how people think
  • I know how to solve my problem, I just need support
  • I am usually a question-answerer and don't need advice

Most Helpful Guy

• Hey, I need to be landing this 747 soon and I forgot where it shows the landing gear is locked in position. I'm too embarrassed to ask the copilot cause he'll tell everyone I asked this. So tell me which one is it? I know it's here somewhere.

www.airplane-pictures.net/.../268612.jpg

• Would you at least give the person a MH for this? Or would the girl who says, "Pilots are hot" get your MH?

• I would hope people have good enough good judgement to examine which answers are the good ones and which ones are just point-stealers. Some people here seem to be in such agony over things that I'd hate to learn that someone ruined their life because of a bad suggestion from a twatwaffle on this site.

• I agree. Thanks for BA!

What Guys Said 8

• Since GaG released it's new version of the site and officially allowed 13-15 year olds on this site...
    ..
    ...
    ... with the natural culture change that happens with sweeping changes [in this case the culture is more transient, loose and social media-like, and less intellectual and less informative ], this site has become inundated with nonsensical trolling (both questions asked and "opinions" given in response).

----

However there is useful informative advice here... although it's harder to find on GaG than when it was when I joined in 2010.

• Honestly, I usually don't take anyone's advice unless it SOMEWHAT close to what I was thinking the solution to my problem was.

• I just answer stuff. Even on my prior account, the only questions I asked were looking for people's opinions and viewpoints about stuff, not for actual advice.

• Of course. Why would I ask for help if I was not gonna use the advice?

• I usually consider and think about the advice given to me on GAG. Like someone else said, I dont get the same amount satisfaction unless I talk to one of my friends.

• I most of the time know what to do now. Learned from mistakes and experiences. I would like the advice of people on gag to see what they would do. Just kind support and i guess better ways to do something.

• I know what you mean. I finally asked a question I was having serious trouble with, I found most of the answers extremely helpful and plan to implement the suggestions.

• No. I really don't. Besides, I usually put crap answers out there, because I get the points for them... points lead to rewards, and the site is free. If there was no rewards or point system, and if they started charging to use the site, I'd leave

• I have noticed that, actually. There are point-whores out there who will quickly answer and with not much to offer and now I see why. It makes sense! Good answer, by the way. ;)

• Some of my answers though, short, do get best answer... I just don't like to spend a lot of time, on questions, I most likely won't get BA on becauseeeee the QA is most likely going to go with the answer that agrees with them

What Girls Said 7

• I think people ask for advice here in about the same way people do in real life. Some just want to complain, some want sympathy, some are looking for validation, some just looking for a person who will tell them what they want to hear. It's the rare one who is actually looking for real solutions and solid advice.

I don't really care what the person is looking for, I just offer my opinion honestly and try to give the most helpful advice I can think of. Its up to them what they'd like to do with the responces they receive. Take it or leave it.

It's not a waste of time for me because its fun for me as a way to kill time and maybe even end up helping someone else. And I like to read other peoples opinions too, I like see how different people think.

• yeah i do, otherwise i wouldn't ask the question i needed help with. some people give great answers and really seem to care. they seem to want us to make the right decision and even tho this place is a community of strangers, the users behind it r still humans with emotions. just gotta pick out the ones who mean well from the ones who dont.

• I don't ask personal questions publicly about myself here, I typically only offer advice to others. However, I have asked for advice to my really close friends here via private messaging and yes, I have taken their advice numerous times.

• Yeah some of the advice I've gotten have been really great. Not all of them are, but some are very sincere and coming from a good place

• Some people on here give some great advice. I rarely ask personal question but I do message some users for advice which I found to be very helpful.

• I don't really ever ask any questions for advice.

I voted C, but E matches me too.

• I don't take advice from others because the bible says not to take advice from human beings on religious or moral issues. It does say to seek advice about financial and material issues though.