Why do people on here use hashtags?

Am I missing something? They clearly aren't supported on here, so why do some people use them in their questions?

This is probably one of those cases where the answer is obvious and I should know it, but I'm anything but an expert when it comes to technical internet stuff (which is evident in me calling it "technical internet stuff"), so I expect to be embarrssed shortly.

BUT...

... in case it does indeed make no sense that some people use hashtags on here, please take a second to pat me on the back.

Most Helpful Girl

• I've seen people use them in a lot of places that don't support them. I belong to a few online forums, and I see people use them in their posts. I don't get why when the forum doesn't support it. Maybe it's just out of habit from Facebook and Twitter? Maybe they just assume it will work anyway. I use an app called Whisper, and it doesn't support Hashtags but people use them all the time anyway. I read fanfiction on fanfiction. net and I once saw someone use them in their posts.

What Guys Said 10

• I don't ever recall seeing hashtags on here.

I'd assume anyone trying to use them is completely ignorant as to how they're supposed to be used in the first place.

• Hashtags are not supported on G@G "yet". ;)
    No ETA yet, but it's something that will probably be coming to G@G at some point.

• The only hashtag I've seen so far here were the ones I posted on a question that was something like "would you date a tall girl" where the girl was 5'8" and I said that ```I'm 5'7" so you wouldn't date me :( #tears #heartbroken``` and that was merely to illustrate the silliness of the post and not to take it completely seriously. Technically it's an expression of my terrible sense of cheeky humor.

• Yeah, I totally get when they're used in an obviously sarcastic way. But I've recently seen questions with hashtags that were meant seriously, and that made no sense to me.

• Yeah I have no idea about that, can't say I've seen it though.

• #Hashtag.

Yeah, got a new fad going.

• maybe they just wanted something to stand out hahaa.

• Well, it's being used more and more as it seems. So it's not really standing out anymore.

• Because hashtags can be funny. For example I don't have ig or Twitter but I'll still use hashtags irl. Say I'm driving and some idiot is acting like a turd in front of me. I'll probably rage and say something along the lines of "how can you be so fucking dumb, get off the road", then I'll pass him and see that he's Asian (don't even bother calling me racist, everyone's racist when driving). I'd say "hashtag Asian drivers".

• Because we can #sorrynotsorry

• #rateme1-10

• cuz hashtags are fun :)

• Well, why not?

• What's the use of them if they are not supported like on Twitter?

• Well, my whole question was "Why?". I guess you just don't know the answer, that's fine. :)

• P. S.: You're unnecessarily hostile. Just don't bother commenting anymore. Bye bye. :)

What Girls Said 6

• I kind of think of them as "asides" ... like when a character in a play says something to the audience that isn't meant for the rest of the characters to hear. asides are meant to describe something further, be funny, etc and I think hashtags do that (especially when its a phrase)

of course hashtags were originally meant to "tag" posts and to be used in a utilitarian way but like most things there is the original purpose of something and then there is a social/cultural purpose. So I don't think people always use hashtags to "tag" a post and they use it to express some thought or feeling.

• I personally find this trend extremely idiotic. But well, that's just my opinion.

• it does haha people organize their posts with tags to go back to look at them and you can search for posts that has a tag relevant to what you're looking for. but then when people have "#omgggthatwassooooofunnyyyy!!!" then its more commentary than a useful tag haha

• Well but if it supports hashtags then it makes sense to me that people use them. At least you can click on them and see if there are more posts tagged the same. On here it makes zero sense to me.

• I think it's just a part of online/social media culture now.

• #iloveyoumyfriend #youareprettykickass

• people who use hashtags are tools. especially when they use more than 2 hashtags.

• I agree with you hash tags on here are pointless. I only used hash tags on Facebook a few times, and on Instagram, also twitter.

• They make certain phrases stand out. It's like a trend I guess. #hashtagsarelife

• Yet another completely idiotic trend in my opinion...

• Nope. You're lucky lol

• I take it you want kids one day. Haha.