What can GAG do about users who seem serial killery?

There has been multiple times I have got in arguments on this website and there has been so many times people have talked about murdering the person they're arguing with. I have also seen multiple people talk about going on shooting sprees.

Can GaG do anything about these people? Other than ban the user? Can they report things like this to a higher authority? People like Elliot Rodgers was found to be posting things like that online before he actually committed his crimes.

Also do you think if they can that they should do something?

Most Helpful Guy

• Technically, if the admins decide someone seems threatening enough to report to authorities, unless the user is very technically literate the authorities would most likely be able to track down the actual user and find out their name and address (from their IP address), and they'd pay that person a visit and question him in person (and if they are able to obtain a warrant they might also search the person's house for things like guns or other things indicating planned murder). However, there are so many troll comments online, most such cases amount to nothing, so I'm not sure how seriously it will be taken, but you can leave it to the site admins to make that call, they will have a better idea.

Personally a comment like "women like you are the reason men go on shooting sprees" though doesn't sound to me like it rises to the level of threat - that's just expressing annoyance and acknowledging that there are sometimes legitimate reasons that disgruntled people end up disgruntled, which is actually true. There are probably literally 10000 guys making comments like that for every 1 who is planning to kill. These kinds of killers are statistically extremely rare.

But I got that Elliot Rodger-y vibe the other day though from the guy who posted that he wanted to commit suicide because he was a 19yo virgin. I don't know if he was just trolling, but he made comments about how he had "already planned and mapped out how he was going to die".

• There is worse a guy once said he had planned revenge on everyone who rejected him and started outlining how he'd kill them. Really horrific stuff. He threatened any user who said not all women deserve it.

• At least this shows you have to be careful online because maybe one of them threats is real.

• I guess that the admins are probably more likely to just ban a reported user that is posting 'harassing' type comments, which perhaps is desirable anyway, they don't really contribute positively to the site.

What Guys Said 10

• If you come across posts in which members are insulting or threatening other members, please report the post as Antagonistic.
    If you notice a pattern of that member doing that often, please report the member from their report with reason Harassment or Offensive Posts.

GirlsAskGuys FAQ

• how do YOU define serial killery or just an annoying troll? last time i checked you can't be killed on the internet, so just laugh it off or block them and quit whining.

• I mean people who talk about committing mass murder.

• no one can do anything except those closest to the person who ACTUALLY knows this action might happen (a. k. a. a psychic, and last i checked we had none of those actually available).

• Well if you look across the internet people take things to the extreme. You simply can't arrest or take further action against everyone that does this because far too many people do it - if 50% of americans threatened to kill someone you gonna lock up half the population?

• No but if someone has a pattern of threatening others and talks of committing mass murder that's cause for concern.

• I think I know who you're talking about. I definitely got a serial killer vibe. I can't figure out how to report.

• Click the flag found at the top right hand side of the post box, next to the time stamp.
      Reporting members is done from their profile page, click Report.

• There's a flag next to their comments. You click that and pick your reason.

• Oh, I see it. I can't believe I never noticed that! Thanks!

• You are heading down a very slippery slope. how do you figure you are going to weed out those who are being literal "I'm going to kill you" vs. those using hyperbole "I'm going to kill you". These are typed words on a computer screen. You are interpreting the 'voice' of the person typing them.

• There's a difference between I'm going to kill you! And "if I ever meet you I'll make sure you're family never see you again". The latter has actually been said to me on this website.

• Its intent is usually interpreted by previous conversation

• One of the things admins can do is check if a user has been reported by multiple users - someone who has been reported multiple times is probably more likely to be a real threat. They could also go through all the user's posts to look for a pattern - however I doubt they have enough staff t spend a lot of time doing that much. Some comments would have to really stand out in an obviously disturbing way.

• Well if you notified the police in their area, which is kind of hard to do, I'm sure they could snag an ip from the admin, how far they are willing to go on something like this is, if it's vague doubtful it's much.

Though some have mentioned where they live and been trying to poison a person.

• I have not seen anything like that. You should just not argue with people on here. State your opinion and move on

• I've seen it a lot mostly on the 'all girls are bitches' (paraphrased) threads.

• Most if the questions that come to that get removed because it was someone a trying to get such responses.

• I haven't seen this myself but I wouldn't really be surprised. I also would be terribly worried. This site contains the floating human flotsam of the world. What happens when trash mixes with trash? A big stink.

I'm sure the person will go into the real world, remember that people aren't as annoying as on GAG and calm down.

• 99% of the people who say such things are only blowing smoke

What Girls Said 2

• If you see someone threatening another user like that, please report their comments. They will likely get taken down and if the user continuously displays behavior like that, they will most likely be banned. Beyond that, I have no idea what the admins can do as far as reporting them to law enforcement, I'm not sure.

• There was one person who I reported like 7 of his comments one of the worst was "women like you are the reason men go on shooting sprees". I have seen worse from other users but this guy has been abusive to a lot of users. Do I have to just report his comments and leave it at that or can you make an actual complaint about other users?

• Yes, you can definitely make complaints about users. You can go to their profile and report the actual user and you can also direct your complaints to the admins here: www.girlsaskguys.com/contact

• I don't think there's much GAG can do. I mean, if they let some 30 something year old dude saying he likes 15 year olds be a member for so long, well...