Hey GaG... this sharing thing is becoming a bit too much?

Just saying, I think that it's a little awkward that you're starting to put all these share buttons everywhere.
What do you guys think?
http://i59.tinypic.com/14n3bex.png

Most Helpful Guy

What Guys Said 19

• I'm sharing this question with friends and family.. Shouldn't be hard because the options are all over the place.

• Its just chewed up screen space. I barely use one and don't use the other three. I've never shared anything, ever.

• Same here. And yes, obviously it would otherwise just be an empty space there, but still. It simply looks ugly, and it serves no real purpose.

• This site is incredibly obnoxious with how aggressively it tries to insinuate itself into your social media.

• You know, funny thing, they never used to bother me. But then again most of the time, I'm just in and out on questions. I post something stupid, and get to the next answer without really focusing on anything. But now that you point it out, it does feel a little repetitious and unnecessary. To me it looks good on the side, but not straight up in the center above the questions as well.

• I don't really mind in general, but if I misclick and share something on my Facebook that would be problematic, and apart from that... seriously, duplicate buttons? Why? That looks so stupid. I don't even mind that they want us to share, I mind that it looks really stupid having the same thing in two places at once.

I even posted a question about it...
    www.girlsaskguys.com/.../q1118207-why-are-there-buttons-for-sharing-in-two-places-at-the-same-time-to

• And the buttons are literally side-by-side too. So it's not as if they're on completely different parts of the site. Like "Share the knowledge on facebook, twitter, google+ and pinterest. Also remember to share with friends and family on facebook, Twitter and google+." What? Talk about redundant.

• And I don't think it is a copy of the button, I think it is literally reimplemented because the classes are assigned to them differently. Lol.

• I personally don't want any of my GAG info on social media as I share stories I never would with my real life friends.

• Thanks for the feedback!

• No problemo!

• It looks stupid. That's the real problem with it, haha. The opening post's screenshot is a pretty valid indicator of this.

• Ever since they added that i installed severe privacy protection addons.
    I don't mind the buttons that much but they do track your activity on websites.
    I don't want Facebook keeping track of the questions i read on here and the things i post.
    It also blocks the advertisement networks since GaG's are not very privacy friendly.
    When i tested the site unblocked it counted over 99 requests related to privacy violation.
    The tool i use is disconnect. me, it is not an adblocker but it does block any request from anything that violates privacy.

• that kind of thing is prevalent for marketing purposes. It's like google wants you to 'share' your entire activity, including your masturbatory habits, on google plus, and all over its products.

• Haha yeah. I get the idea behind of it, but the thing with GaG is that it's not really like Facebook, Twitter or google+ in the sense that people share even more private/personal details on here, which in turn requires some level of anonymity. I honestly doubt that many people share stuff on GaG outside of GaG, so that kind of renders all these buttons useless...

• Well, privacy is a concern for me. But it's more than evident that a lot of people don't think that, or indeed our, way. I totally refuse to allow YouTube to use my real name for example. Most people don't give a shit.

• I don't mind it, cause I don't use any of those social media sites anyways! HA Jokes on them! GaG won't be getting any recognition through me from that method!

smile-day.net/.../Tongue-Out-Smiley-Face1.jpg

• I think GAG in itself is a great platform for socializing. I don't know whether its meant for sharing the things impossible to share in real life or not but i am for sure using it for that purpose. I am also aware of the fact that many have formed relationships over this thing (though i am not looking for any, lol). But this sharing thing is a bit too much because it takes away the very purpose of using this platform (privacy). I think GaG should find a way to advertise protecting the privacy of its users and also be aware of the fact that placing share buttons on every place can seriously harm it.

• Yeah.. I mean, I don't use share buttons on pretty much any site anyway, so, why would I do it here? Is GaG particularly low on users at the moment or something, so they're trying to get us to share in order to get our friends interested? :L

• Honestly, it almost seems like it. But I doubt that putting all these buttons EVERYWHERE will really make a difference. They're pretty noticeable already.

• Honestly, it's a little annoying; but since the service they're giving us is free... we kinda have to accept that

• True. But layout-wise, it looks horrible. One place for all the buttons should be sufficient enough...

• Kind of terrified now that someday I might accidentally hit that share button and to be honest until this question I didn't even notice it.

• It's gonna take some getting used too.

• It's annoying and for a second I thought I was seeing ads because I was signed out of my account (I'm level 8 so I shouldn't see ads)

But apparently they're just share options. Still annoying though.

• i can't imagine many people actually using those but I've noticed them but it hasn't bothered me unless i accidentally tap on it when I'm scrolling on my phone

• I hate it , it's a cheap way to advertise. If anyone knows how to get rid of them let me know please

• I honestly didn't notice it until now

What Girls Said 12

• YES! It's gotten very annoying and out of control. The admins need to start focusing less on trying to get more users and focusing more on the users they already have and keeping them happy. I know it's impossible to keep everyone happy but these days they don't really seem to care as much about their current users' satisfaction with the site.

• Preach!

• Yes. Lol I hate being negative though so now I'll say something positive. I love, love, LOVE the fact that we have a "mentions" tab now and can see when users mention us in posts :D

• Oh, I didn't realize that yet :D that's good, yes. :)

• I suppose they want All Media to 'Share' in the fun Here. However, thanks for 'Sharing' your Own Observance... I have to agree, very 'Awkward And----Not Attractive at all. xx

• Well, I guess it's a way to get their name out on social networking sites, and to encourage activity from members...

Personally though I have no reason to share questions/discussions outside of G@G.

What WOULD be nice is a way to share & promote questions within the community here (with the Search function flawed, the closest thing we have is the 24-hour feature). I often see some questions receive very little attention and the QA feeling frustrated about not getting the help they expected. Aside from re-asking the same question (which is discouraged) or just straight up asking other members to answer, there's not really a way to bring attention to questions, whether you think it's something interesting worth sharing or you want to bring in more people to voice their opinions.

The Live Feed and No Opinions features are helpful, but not perfect.

• I agree wholeheartedly. I understand that they want the users on here to spread the word about GaG, but I feel like one set of these social media buttons is enough.

• Hah, scratch everything I just said!
      Just noticed the announcement on the Hashtags and Mentions features... sounds like that could be really helpful around the community!

And yeah, I don't know why they keep adding social media buttons. Maybe they're just testing the waters and haven't decided where they want to place them yet.

• They could take the bounty system from Stack Overflow, lol.

• Yes, it's just so "in your face" right now. Like "if you don't share, share, and fucking share, we're gonna fill the whole page with sharing buttons until you've shared!"

• I've noticed that too! I'm always worried about accidentally clicking one and sharing something embarrassing on my Facebook or something.

• Yeah, especially when you're on your phone. :/ It's a lot easier to make a mistake like that when the screen is so small and the buttons are so huge.

• So far I've managed to ignore those buttons. Don't make me think about them!

I don't know how it's on other people's screens, but on mine the "Share the knowledge!" in your screenshot forms a perfect line with the real "Share the knowledge!" on the left of your question. Yes, I know, that was VERY important to point out.

• It seems pointless. I doubt anyone would share their question on those sites.

• What do u mean?

• The screenshot in the post?
      http://i59.tinypic.com/14n3bex.png
      Look at all those buttons. It looks stupid. We don't need that many buttons in order to know that we're able to share questions on Facebook and Twitter. One set of buttons should be enough.

• I never shared anything. But like commercials, there is someone out there on whom it works. =/

• I don't mind seeing a few of these buttons on here, since that seems to be the standard on most sites that are similar to GaG. What I don't understand is feeling the need to put these buttons almost everywhere, lol.

• they want us to promote the site
    but i dont share hahaha

• Who the fuck, would share things in here on Facebook? oo

• I agree, I hate it.