Should G@G make down-/upvoters visible, similar to how it is with the "likes" on Facebook?

I personally would really appreciate it, because often times downvotes are completely nonsensical (like being downvoted for stating what your favorite ice-cream flavor is) and if it was visible who up- or downvotes, people would start giving it more thought before they go on a downvoting cruisade.

what could be a reason not to implement this? What would speak against it?

Would you want to be able to see who up- or downvoted your/an opinion, or would you like it to stay as it is?

• Yay - up-/downvoters being visible is a good idea.
  • Nay - up-/downvoters being visible is a bad idea.
  • Indifferent/Undecided.
I must say, I'm really glad to have asked this question, because all you who oppose my idea, gave me some really valid points about possible negative outcomes, and actually made me change my mind about my own idea for the most part. Thanks!

Most Helpful Guy

• Hmm, let's see.. if they should do that, then I'd believe the
    best way to go about it would be as a dropdown sort of thing..

Like, you see it like it is now, but if you hover your mouse
    (or tap it with a finger if on phone) then a dropdown page
    would show up with the names of the voters. ^.~

• Yes, something like that is what I had in mind. But I'm not even sure if it's a good idea overall.

What Guys Said 13

• LOL!!! Same reason why I don't usually anon myself. No shame here. People like hiding. Not me. I'd be happy to know that people can see that I downvoted them. I rarely downvote people though. I normally don't even bother to do that.

• They say it means nothing but i agree GaG needs to do
    something with it make some use of the feature i find it
    it nothing but causes headaches and makes people upset
    about who gets up voted and down voted really it's heckle
    feature but a crazy ass one i agree why not use it as feature
    to be visible to all people or make a premium feature where
    people can purchase it so they only get up voted or likes
    according to Facebook say for example I'm down voted
    someone attempts to do that to me but gets surprise it
    up votes me

• Some people who you see disagree with you all I'm telling you beware that is all i am telling you
      but i got it taken care of on my end of the game.

• I don't get wrapped up enough in gag to care who up votes or down votes. Nor do I care what their reasoning is.

• I've seen some sites take the approach of eliminating an additive negative score. (You can get to zero, but not neg.)

The way it is separated here, doesn't bother me. More than anything, I am kind of amused when I get negative votes here. I only feel sorry that I can't get a kick out of seeing who votes me down because I think that would be more amusing.

• Principally, yes.
    But one thing I'm a bit afraid of, is that some people may become the "target" of massive downvoting whereas they've done little wrong. You know, one downvote triggers more.
    You could get severe punishment for 1 mistake which would literally be "overkill".
    Perhaps a good idea would be to just provide the opportunity to upvote or downvote questions or articles, not users.

• "What could be a reason not to implement this" In theory it sounds like a good idea and make people think more about handing out downvotes, but in the end alls it would do is create more drama on G@G. I in my opinion we should leave the upvoting alone and change the downvoting to where users must give a reason for downvoting, to help with nonsense downvoting. Another feature that I would like to see implemented, is a "are you sure" message similar to the one the pops up when you select MH, at least it would cut down on the number of downvotes do to users accidently clicking downvote.

• What difference is it make? Downvotes affect nothing, and I don't think anyone gets deeply affected by the idea that someone online doesn't agree with their opinion.

• I never said it deeply affects anyone, have I? So you're suggesting the up-/downvotes might as well not exist at all, I see.

• It would be a good idea.

One argument against it would be that it may cause more disputes, but it will make voters put in a little bit more thought into their vote to make them more accurate and believable.

• You'll get as much "reasoning" from someone who goes around downvoting for no reason as you get from @GirlsAskGuys when your opinions or questions get deleted.

• Interesting comparison!

• Vaniller ice cream? You prolly voted fer Obama! lol

• Hell no. Haha.

• I don't see it as a big deal. I get lots of down votes but it would be similar to the thinking of "everyone gets a ribbon" for participating type of thing if everyone was only capable of being up voted. I am sure it will happen anyway eventually.

• I'd be open to it. It would probably force more people to actually debate their reasoning. Then again, it could also cause unnecessary drama

• Those are the two opposing arguments, as it seems. They both sound valid. I personally believe it would first ad foremost make people be less quick to downvote an opinion and give it more thought, hence also less drama. But I could be wrong.

• @222fallguy2

oh we wouldn't want that now would we =o

• Of course we good. Everyone is as good a person as everyone else regardless of effort, morals and decency! We all win!

• Yup you're saves. It's a fact now.

• DEFINITE YES !!!

What Girls Said 16

• I don't see how that would ever be a good idea. It would only cause more drama on the site than there already is.

Personally, I don't care about down votes or who down votes me. There will always be people who either don't like me, don't agree with what I have to say, or simply want to go on a trolling spree and down vote everyone who answers a particular question. I just don't think it matters that much, it's not the end of the world if someone down votes me and I really don't care to know who does it.

• I actually think - as I have stated - that it would make people give it more though before they downvote an opinion. But of course I could be wrong. That's why I posted this question, to hear about others' opinions on this idea.

• I understand but there are plenty of people here who wouldn't care if their username was visible and would still down vote. In which case, it would cause a lot more drama I think. That's just my opinion though, of course.

• Maybe you're right, I don't know. Then again, I think it might help separate the trolls from the serious users. Also just a guess though.

Thanks for your input!

• I'm not with you on this one momma. Giving a name to the downvotes would, in many cases, cause unnecessary drama over something stupid. Also, what is one to do with the information once they have it?

My advice. Live off the hate.

• I think very few people would actually use the up/downvote feature if it weren't anonymous.

• Yes, I think people would only up-/downvote if they are really sure about it, they wouldn't be so quick about it anymore. I think that'd be a good change.

• @222fallguy2

• Well eventually you will find out who is down voting you so blocking works. I had a different point to make but was a bit buzzed last night so I don't recall.

• i think it would create some controversy and some fights lol, but I would honestly like to know why someone downvoted me because I got downvoted in the past for no reason or for a totally idiotic one. But I think it would cause too much drama. So I'll just stick to expressing MY opinions (because some people can't accept the fact that others have different preferences) and just ignore the down votes. Knowing who up-voted would be cool though. I mean it's nice to know someone likes my opinion or agrees.

• I think down votes shouldn't be there in the first place. When you are responding to a post the website askes what is your opinion not what facts do you have. You can't down vote someone's opinion without a reason as to why you feel that their opinion isn't right. I think instead they should take out down votes and let people state why they disagree with you whether it be anonymously or not.

• Yes, but some questions ask you for simple facts (like personal preferences, which are not opinions, just facts), and yet people get downvoted there. Maybe the downvotes shouldn't be there at all indeed.

• You are right. If you disagree to something I would like to know why do you feel that what I saying isn't right. If it's facts prove wrong with research if it's my opinion explain to me why you don't agree. I don't expect everyone to agree with me just I would like to know as to why I received a down vote. I remember there was a question and someone who was an expert in the question's area answered the question and a lot of people disagreed, I disagreed too but i didn't down vote the person. Until they explained their point clearly to me I stated to realize that they were right and gave them a good vote.

• I agree with what your saying or at least let the opinion owner know. I think it's more about people being anonymous and not making it a popularity contest. But I totally agree with you.

• Got a down vote for this why I have no idea

• Because on threads or posts that are about downvotes, people generally get downvoted hust for the heck of it.

• A pro to seeing who's up/downing people, is to see who's trolling. A noticed quite a few people are getting down voted by some guy.

• I'm still trying to get used to the new format. Though I notice they changed it again. Before it was too difficult for me to scroll around because I had to keep changing the zoom. I like to see the words big so that my kitty eyes don't tire.

• I do understand why this is kind of irritating for you, however I think it'd be a bad idea to be honest. Sometimes people who downvote want to downvote with the intentions of staying anonymous. If they wanted to disagree without being anonymous, they'd probably put a comment instead.
    I think there would be a lot more hostilities between people on the more sensitive subjects.

• You might be right. Then again, I thought maybe it would make people think twice before they downvote someone, so maybe it would even reduce conflicts. But I'm not sure.

• Yeah, that is one way of looking at it. I just imagine sensitive subjects, people looking at their downvotes and trying to attack via PM or comments for it. I'm not too sure though.
      It's certainly something that may be worth giving a try. ^^

• Yeah, that's indeed a very good point. I'm glad I asked this question, because you and many others gave me some very valid points why my idea isn't so good after all.

• Would be nice to see :)

• I don't really have an opinion on this, but I'm 99% sure the admins can see it.

• Well, they can see the accounts behind anonymous posts, so I'm sure they can also see the voters. But who knows.

• Oh, but then what makes you think they actually can see them?

• I'll message you

• no because it would create more enemity among users

• It doesn't matter to me, though I really don't see the purpose of it. The only thing it'll do is make someone like or dislike someone

• The only thing it would accomplish is people wouldn't vote.

• Or maybe people would only vote when they actually have something to say.

• Yes, some sort of restriction/regulation is necessary, if you ask me.

• Yes exactly.

• I chose B. :)

• Sometimes.

• Yes they should. So that I know who up-votes and down-votes my stuffs. :)