Are most MHOs picked to reinforce the asker's already preconceived perceptions on the situation?

I mean, if a GAGer asks something and wants several opinions, he/she will pick the answer that conforms with the views he ALREADY has not the most "helpful".
You get me?

By the way to those thinking i am pissed off for not being picked as MHO, this is not it.
I answer questions because i am bored - i don't care about the MHO.

I am just curious about this behavior.

Most Helpful Guy

• Oh I 150% agree with you. Its not always the case but usually they are operating using "confirmation bias". They aren't looking for someone to challenge their belief they want someone who is going to tell them what they want to hear to further solidify their opinion. It's kind of funny, sometimes you can predict who they are going to give MHO to just by looking to see which opinion most closely mirrors their own. lol

• Bingo. Confirmation bias at work big time.
      not always but in a lot of cases.

• or your view cannot help his or her situation?

is there a reason you must care if others don't accept what you say? are you important to them?

• I think a viewpoint that challenges your own would be more helpful. It's good to have people that question your beliefs rather than just living in a bubble, only listening to those who share your world view. I'm not saying that its wrong to choose an opinion that you agree with, only that you shouldn't choose it JUST because you agree with it.

What Girls Said 9

• I try and go with the answer that is most well written and thought out.

A lot of my questions, I don't have an answer I'm looking for, per se...

but yeah, when I do, I'll admit the ones that agree or come close prolly do get a little more consideration..

But there have been answers that have basically picked me up and dropped me on my head.

and yes, they, have been selected.

• If I post a question like what is your favourite food, I normally go with one that is similar tastes to me but I state in the update that's why.

With a question with advice, I go with what I feel is strongest, most thought out, most helpful. Even if it's conflicting to my original view, if it changes my view or is a valid and conclusive counter argument, I try to go with those.

I think a lot of MHs are chosen for agreeing with the asker though yes.

• I try my best to pick the best answer that actually makes me think differently about the situation than I did before, or that criticises my ideas in a constructive way.

• I generally pick the answer that agrees with what I already think. That doesn't mean the answers opposing my view are bad or that I'm closed off to them

• I see this all the time. Instead of picking the well-educated, respectful argument with references, the asker will pick an opinion that agrees with him/ her for MHO more often than not. It bothers me sometimes, but I can understand why; I mean, it irritates most people to be argued with. No matter how respectfully you present your views, you'll get called names and attacked by someone for thinking differently. Why would someone choose an answer for MHO when it pisses them off and inclines them to reply with hostility? They wouldn't.

• Seems you're irate because somebody isn't accepting you..

• This is an open site, I can reply unless the admins say not to.

• How very mature... Anyway, as much as I love being spammed with notifications from an argument that isn't mine, I think I'd like for this to stop.

• I usually pick whatever answer seemed the most informative & knowledgeable.

• Yes, yes I do think that is the case in many questions.

• Yes of course
    And even if that wasn't the reason there is no point in discussing a feature that only the question asker can control

• Correction there is no point in assuming that's why QA pick it because we don't know what is going on inside their head

• I can't speak for anyone else, only myself...
    I choose the opinion that made me think or maybe laugh. Sometimes they agree with me, sometimes they don't.

What Guys Said 7

• Yup, I get you. And I have been wondering EXACTLY the same even since I joined GAG.

What you say is true for more than 90% of the questions. Not just on GAG, but on other QA sites as well.

• Oh yeah very rarely are people interested in changing their opinions. People like others to reinforce their claims even if it isn't based on reason or evidence.

• Yes, I agree with you. I've seen this happening too many times. But I do understand it aswell. People like to be right, and will only be happy with opinions that reinforces his/hers. Usually only people who truly don't know what to do will actually choose the most helpful one even if it doesn't support her/her ideas. (usually)

• Depends on the question.

If it's for shuts and giggles, then the funniest question

Viewpoint questions which can cause an argument, then whatever agrees with the asker.

Legitimately asking for help is when people usually give actual advice over jokes or ideology so those questions are the ones that give MHOs for being helpful.

• Yes of course they are, it's human nature to do so. Nobody likes reading something which differs to their opinion or doesn't conform to the answer they want.

• Well then why even bother to ask? =\

• To get reassurance, now I am different, I want your honest opinions to my questions. I don't want sugar coated softly, softly responses.

I want brutal honesty.

• Certainly. Not always, but it happens a lot. Personally, i tend to pick MHO based on who put the most work/real thought into the answer

• Yes. what is wrong with that?

The person doesn't know who you are, nor cares for your opinion.

Your opinion may be well-intended, but then doesn't solve his or her dilemma.

Or you may cite your view in a rude/dismissive tone, and they think "fucker" and dismiss you...

So accept that your opinion only has value only to you, or develop better social skills.

• You ask for people's opinions then choose the one you already have preconceived notions about and you don't find an objectional issue here?

• eh? I'm just offering my views... but then you should be able to speak yourself, not let another man for you.

• Thank you for your view - i pointed you to read the question because you assume too much and wrong stuff. This isn't "he didn't answer how i want", this is "he is answering stuff i didn't ask".