Anonymous feature sort of sucks?

Does anyone else feel this way? I feel like the anonymous feature on here just lets people leave rude and hateful comments on questions that are being asked by someone who genuinely wants an answer, but because people can hide behind anonymous, they end up being trolled just for looking for advice. Seriously grow up and if you're going to say something hateful at least own up to it instead of hiding behind that little question mark.

Most Helpful Girl

• I think it kind of sucks too because I could be disagreeing heavily with someone who's anonymous on one post and on another post that person may not be anonymous and, hypothetically speaking, we could be laughing and sharing happy stories etc etc. The anonymity screams two-facedness LOL... BUT at the same time... this is the internet and I couldn't care that much if I wanted to

What Guys Said 12

• "You suck."

That's not my opinion but I'm showing you that I'm not afraid to say things and show who I am.

• No it doesn't suck.
    What if i ask something very shaming and personal?
    Now all the community knows about it.
    Anon option leaves me able to do that without compromising myself.

Of course you picked an answer to support your claim but the truth is, all of us want to be anon at one point or another.

• technically, being on the internet alone is enough for people to leave rude and hateful comments, because at the end of the day, people still wouldn't know who you were regardless of whether you used the anonymous function or not. It just adds an extra layer of anonymity atop of the pre-existing layer of anonymity to allow brutal honesty. The human race has very troubled members in it, and given the openness of the site, you'll see a good many of them before your time is up. It's just something you have to get use to. Report things that you see which go over the top

• it's the internet, people are much more cocky and sure of themselves because they can just ignore anything they want to. I don't know if reporting the question does anything, but if you don't like the answers on your questions I guess you have to try and report them. you can't take away the option for someone to want their profile hidden for a few answers. and if they get reported by a few people, the people who run the site will learn who they are and kick them out. hopefully

• Yeah and the flip side is people who don't go anonymous will tend to sugar coat and leave dishonest opinions.

• AGREED
    PERFECT summation of what many of these ANONs are doing for jollies, while flushing good Samaritans' time down the drain
    KUDOS to you

• i don't have any problem with anonymous

• I agree, it should be removed. If someone decides to troll you anonymously you can't even block them. Plus all these trolls use it to post incest questions and shit just to piss people off.

• U can turn off the anon options before submitting ur question..

• you are totally right!! When people can't react descent they better don;t give a comment at all!!

• I think people that abuse it should have their isp blocked but I also think people should not put much stock into any idiots behavior.

• I don't feel this way, probably because I'm answering in Anonymous and the fact that you get check off the option to not allow anonymous answers.

• I didn't even notice this feature until everyone started commenting on here about it, I'm definitely going to use it!

What Girls Said 10

• That's why users have the ability to block anonymous users from answering, if they so choose. Overall, it's good to have an anonymous feature for when users may be giving personal answers/opinions and they don't want it to be traced back to them. Sure, the feature gets abused sometimes but I don't think it's that big of a deal.

Like I said, if you don't want people going anonymous to answer your questions, you always have the option, before you post your question, to block anonymous users. If a user is harassing you anonymously, you can also report their comments and the admins will look into it and take action if necessary.

• I completely agree :):)

• yea you are 100% right. I would understand asking a question anonymous. .. but cmnt as anonymous. . I mean if u don't like the question u don't have to share ur opinion

• Yeah that's true but when I ask a question I make sure people can't be anonymous because I know people will post stupid things. Plus the questions I ask are not embarrassing or shy to answer so there shouldn't be an excuse to feel like you need to hide when answering or at least on my questions.

• Totally agree...

• I know I've suggested it being removed would be cool

• I don't have a problem with it. Sometimes I go anon because it's something personal which, although I don't mind sharing for the sake of advice and discussion, I don't particularly want people associating me with those things. That's not because I'm ashamed or embarrassed but because there are a few very small minded and judgmental people on here who would love some ammunition to wrongly justify their views about me.

• I'm not a huge fan of the anonymous feature either. I think it should be restricted in some way at least.

• Many people come here with very personal, sometimes embarrassing, questions about themselves, their lives, and especially their sex lives.
    Allowing them to post completely anonymous, even anonymous to people here, allows them to ask these questions without the fear of being judged. They can feel free to tell the truth, unabashedly.
    This is why we allow people to post anonymously.

We do allow GAGers the opportunity to block anonymous opinions on their questions too though.

• I think the anonymous feature is brilliant! Before such a feature, many people would sensor their truest thoughts and feelings for fear of what others would think or if someone would take it the wrong way. By doing that, people were sequentially denied of the most beneficial help they could possibly gain. There are various reasons someone may answer anonymously and "hiding" is usually not one of them. Me personally, I'll answer anonymously if I've seen the QA consistently get worked up for minute reasons around here. I may want to contribute and help out, but I genuinely may not be in the mood to cater to someone's sensitivity or deal with some irrational blocking where I miss out in the future because their emotional temperament is not where it should be.

I've been around here for a while and many times when a QA is claiming to be trolled, they are sincerely just being way too sensitive to take some constructive criticism. The word 'troll' is so overused and it's a scapegoat for people who aren't humble enough to acknowledge a not so pleasant truth. Some QA's are also quick to assume that someone is being hateful or rude when really, they are just being too defensive for their own good. So hypersensitive and defensive in fact that they are working against themselves because they'd rather stay dignified in denial than humbly admit the truth.