Why are the people on this site nicer than the people in everyday life?

The people on this site are always nice, respectful, nonjudgmental. While people you meet on the streets, at work, etc. can be complete jerks. Why do you think this is?

Most Helpful Guy

• It depends on how you phrase things and the questions you ask. If you ask stupid stuff, people will react accordingly. Basically, the site kinda mirrors what you do. I am not always nice either, but most of the time I am. Name-calling is useless, so I tend to avoid resorting to that too. I would be lying if I didn't admit that I can be pretty judgmental when people's behavior counteracts with my core values and morality, though.

Sometimes there are a few fem-anons who ask some weird question like is it okay if I am a single mother with 3 children at the age of 17 and then you're like dude, that is really not cool if you can't provide financial security and then they act as if you questioned their sanity and life and everything and they lash out on you like nothing else because what they looked for is affirmation, not actually valid opinions. They for example certainly aren't nice, they indeed tend to be kinda crazy. Like the girl who was asking "how to navigate as a dignified virgin in a sex-saturated society", and @MaskedSanity or @MaskOfInsanity (one of them) gave totally reasonable responses that disagreed with that kind of view, and it is hard to imagine the bitching that ensued, haha.

But yeah, I would say the site is fairly reasonable. People react harshly only to harshness.

• I don't remember that question at all, don't think it was me. Do you have a link?

• @Levin part of the reason why I am less likely to answer questions where the MH is already selected, and also the reason why I wait with putting out an MH once I stop expecting responses. Yeah, I think my MH rating would be higher if I just replied "Yeah, you're right, I agree." on every single question, haha.

@maskOfInsanity You guys have such a similar name and both of you are cool, I get you two mixed up far too often :D Those questions were hilarious, I must admit. Half of the comments are missing because of "Antagonism".

• I'm glad you found this helpful :D

What Guys Said 18

• Depending on the topics you get into some people can get into some nasty stuff. Like if you pop into a religion/atheist topic you'll see some arguing and stuff there. But simply not bothering with those kinds of topics will save you a lot of time. There's a mix of people everywhere.

• Because we have no reason to be a jerk if we are a jerk we don't get votes or MH. Although I have showed some people judgment and disrespect when it was needed to make a point. The more nice we are the more points we get and everyone loves getting points no matter what situation.

• The site is more like a community, most people who stay are here often to socialise and are therefore friendly to others on the site and newcomers. Whereas public is just everyone social and unsocial, in saying that people who take time out to give others advice must have some good nature to do so...

• It's funny, because I think a LOT of people would claim the opposite, and say that the people here tend to be meaner and colder than those they encounter in daily life.

Me personally, I don't think there's that much of a difference at all. Just like in my daily life, I see that some people here are truly beautiful and special, some people here hover somewhere in the middle, and others here can be pretty ugly.

It sounds to me like you've found some of the really good ones and have avoided the nasty people, and for that I say "good for you!". Keep on doing that, it'll serve you well! :-)

• People on this site tend to be nicer than people in real life because they have a Backspace key.

• You're probably encountering people on the streets in bad moods. I'm not really sure. There's tons of people not giving their opinion on here "dodging questions" while the ones that agree with you are more likely to answer. I would think people would do that in real life though too in different ways though.

• Maybe its just luck? Prolly because of what this site is about, now if it was a debate site or like 4chan, or youtube, or something then I bet people will be less than pleasant. Where do you live? I have been many places in this world (Navy) and even in america and i can say that people from the south are waaaay nicer that people up north.

• Its part of the northern charm

• Living in the south if you pass someone on the street you look up and say hi, or nod and smile. Then the times I've been up north its different. I remember one time I held a door open for a woman entering a gas station and she looked at me like I just groped her.

• Yeah, a lot of people are rude

• Because people don't want to be pessimistic and kill your ambition and positive view of the world.

• i don't know about that... there really isn't a reason to be a jerk on here

• These people voluntarily signed up to answer questions for others. Makes sense that they'd be helpful. Jerks wouldn't join this site because most are too unwise to join sites like this.

• The jerks come in waves while the nice ones tend to stick around. You'll get your fill of jerks though just be patient

• Are you hot? That could be why

• I don't have my picture on here.

• because it's awesome to be nice isn't it ^^ maybe because people here are mature i think

• I noticed that and I'm new here.

• Some are just far more comfortable behind a key board than they are in real life. But it overly depends on the person.

• That dog is really cute, is that your pet?

• Aw, thanks. Sadly, no. It's just some random image I found on the internet. It was too cute to pass up and it was a nice change, so I just used it instead. But mine have given me that look anyway, haha.

• to me its the opposite. People on here are a lot colder than the people i meet with on a daily basis

• I'm sorry you had the experience on her, but glad you've had good experiences off this site.

• people on here are mostly loners or have limited social circle , well i am loner

• I'm sorry you're loner, but I'm glad you found comradery at this site :)

• nobody shows up, busy with their job or with their partners

• I'm sorry to hear that, I thought that would be a great place to meet people

• On what planet?

• Venus maybe even mars. Saturn is nice too, but who wants to deal with that ring all the time ;)

• Jupiter

What Girls Said 9

• Um... I'm happy you've had that experience here.

• Because this whole website is just a bunch of bullshit. The answers people give are mostly complete bullshit. The majority of gag probably aren't who they say they are. They're lonely people that have found this website where they can pretend to be someone else with a better life, where they can hide their flaws. And who can blame them for wanting that?

• Are you saying that they give advice that is too nice, but in reality that advice would never work?

• Most of it. People on here present themself as kind and nonjudgmental when really, that's not realistic.

• Probably because you don't know these people personally you just know them for what them seem to be once you live with someone thierntrue colors come out:-\

• Yes, you do learn a lot of about people when you live with them, lol

• Hahaha! You're joking right!

• No, why do you say that?

• This is the internet. People are more rude behind a keyboard.

• it's a front LOL

• Lmao I find that to be the complete opposite for me

• I'm sorry to hear that

• There are definitely some great GAGers, people who are here to help others.
    They genuinely want to help, and it's wonderful when you get advice that you'd never even thought of or considered before, something completely new, that makes sense.
    I love those moments.

• You usually give great advice

• Thank you, I really appreciate that!

• You must be new...

• Been here for about a month now