Wow, the opinion comment order got INVERTED. THIS IS CONFUSING ME! How about you?

Currently I can't tell if this is for better or for worse, because I ended up looking for the "new" comment on my question at the top, but I was confused because the top one was the first one and then I was like wait, the site jumbled up the order or something but then I realized that it's just upside down.

Sooooooooo, I need to make a poll on this.

• THIS IS CONFUSING but it's a good idea.
  • THIS IS CONFUSING and it's a bad idea.
  • THIS IS NOT CONFUSING and it's a good idea.
  • THIS IS NOT CONFUSING but it's a bad idea.

Most Helpful Girl

• It was confusing at first, but it's a nice change. Now you don't have to scroll down to get to the start of the string of comments, which is handy especially if there are a lot of them.
    Don't like the new bar at the bottom though. It's too big. It has also been lagging on a few pages (disappearing/reappearing + looking glitchy).

• Yeah, you're right. It makes even more sense on a phone.

• Yeah, that's true, also the 3 layers of "sharing"? Dayum.

• I'm blessed with a big computer screen, so everything is a bit more spread out. I don't even want to imagine what it looks like on a smaller screen. I'd feel claustrophobic haha.

Most Helpful Guy

• Don't you get the feeling sometimes that the wonks behind the scenes at GAG are just constantly tinkering away with the site? Sometimes it's a hit, sometimes it's a miss, but they're always tinkering. I just know it.

What Girls Said 11

• Yeah, I keep getting really confused. Plus, I like to be able to reference the comment I'm replying to while I write my reply, but that's really difficult in long chains of comments because I end up having to scroll all the way down and then back up again. Plus, the weird format has meant that I've actually managed to miss several comments because I just skipped over them somehow.

I do think this comment system can work, and that it might work alright, but it might be easier if the comment writing box (what do you even call those?) were at the bottom now. Also I don't want to have to scroll down every time I open a long chain of comments, so there's that issue too. Maybe they should just make it to where there's a settings place where you can decide how you want it formatted for you?

• Good suggestion, I hope @sparrow24 and co will take it into consideration.

• Especially regarding the comment box appearing at the bottom and not at the top.

• All at it by bothered really not am I. Me to natural more seems it. About talking are you what know not do I!

• What. That is not how English works.

• Lol this was clever

• :) That is there so, scroll to like not do I, plus--beginning the to go instantly eyes my, comments reading am I when. Confusing is it think still I... Lol, guess I.

• I'm more concerned about the sticky bar that falls apart when you scroll down.

Works great on your phone, complete shit on a PC.

• I also notice that. It was confused because we are not used to it, but I think it's a good idea because when there are multiple comments on an opinion, you want to be able to read it from top to bottom.

• i was confused too. not sure which is better.

• Yeah me neither. This is better for phone though because it takes less scrolling to go in order.

• It is confusing & I'm also thrown off by the new bar at the bottom that shows "orange box (your opinion), dark grey box (don't know what's for), blue box (guy's opinions), pink box (girl's opinions), light grey box (don't know what this is either). I'm sure it will make sense after a while, change is always confusing at first. I'm just not sure why the change was even necessary, if it's not broken, don't fix it.

• I was like wondering whether my internet was too slow. Then I realized what happened.
    It's okay. I'll get used to it. :)

• I'm actually getting used to it by now. But I was like, wth?

• Funny... I typed multiple question marks, but the outcome (when I pressed "submit" button) was just one.

• Yeah, GAG tries to make comments look less silly so it removes extra exclamation and question marks. And some other things. Also the reason why my emoticon is broken, see? O. o

• Yes I thought my eyes were deceiving me for a second D:
    Confusing at first but not a bad change

• I honestly can't tell, I was so used to having to roll down to see the oldest opinion. Not sure why.
      I also think the bar at the bottom is a decent idea, but it should be like half the height.

• It took me an embarrassingly long time to figure out what was going on.

• Huh. It took me like 5 minutes. Then I posted this question.

• Its all going to be okay!!!

• Yeah. If they implement Cipher42's suggestion, it'll be even better.

• Yeah, the same's been happening to me! I'm relieved you posted this actually. I thought there was something wrong with my PC.

• Yes I noticed it today. And I kept getting confused.

• I was confused only at first, luckily. Once I realized what was up, I got used to it pretty quickly.

• Yup, always at the bottom, it is just inverted. For a second I thought the comments were top to bottom but the newest or your own or something was the first and then it would reorder itself when you pres Show Older, but luckily it is just reversed in order and nothing complicated.

• oh okay I get it now. Thanks dude. :)

What Guys Said 13

• I like how I can now follow a conversation by reading from top to bottom, which puts me right where I need to be to start reading the next conversation from top to bottom. This made the reading experience much smoother. However, I do not like how the text box for adding a comment is at the top. When I add to a conversation, it is usually based on the last few comments, which are now at the bottom, so the text box should be near the bottom too. That way, I am typing my comment right where it would appear when sent.

With that said, I hate the floating bar at the bottom. Even if it was half the size, I would still hate it. If the site went back to displaying Guy's Opinions and Girl's Opinions side by side, the bar would serve no purpose. After all, then "My Opinion", "The First Displayed Opinion", "The First Guy Opinion", and "The First Girl Opinion" would all be the same part of the webpage and the "Top of Webpage" button isn't really helpful in any layout whatsoever. That bar is an UGLY HACK that exists only to lessen the page of the inferior page layout of the new design.

To whomever it may concern: please switch us back to the side-by-side layout and get rid of that hideous floating bar. Oh, and bring Articles back. It irks me to think that you put off working on that part of the site just so you could make that irritating floating bar. What are your priorities? o_O

• There is a "Recent Articles" at the bottom on the phone layout now, so I think we are pretty close to those being brought back.

• That's good to hear. I have been suspecting for a while now that they had no intention of bringing Articles back and were just waiting for people to forget about it.

• Experts can already do it, so I am pretty sure the functionality is there, they just want to set up proper access control.

• When I first noticed it I was like "What? Huh?". But I easily figured it out and I like it more this way because additional writing should go down in my opinion. I think it makes more sense that way.

• it makes more sense this way. Instead of having to open up a giant conversation and scroll alll the way to the bottom... you now start at the top and work your way down. More convenient to me

• Yeah noticed teh same and i was like WTF JUST HAPPENED for a few minutes before i realized the switch.
    don't know why though.

• Why are you only level 2?

• No, we don't merge duplicate accounts. Having duplicate accounts violates our Terms of Use.

• Yeah forgot i had an account so i made a new one, since i use a universal password for these accounts i guess it's a duplicate.

• hahaa I hate the toolbar that keeps following me

• It is inverted but it used to be like this years ago before they changed it to what it was previously.. It was just as confusing when I saw it the previous way too.

• i've had all kinds of things happen that made me think i was losing my mind. My personal favorite is getting a message from one person while i was sure i had made the comment to another. Since human error on my part is quite plausible i'm left with the question of wondering in retrospect why i didn't immediately realize i had screwed up.

• This was weird and a sudden change. I thought i was the only one XD

• It threw me for a little while, but I do think it's a good idea. It really just makes me wonder why it wasn't always this way, because it makes so much more sense to go top to bottom.

• It was probably some legacy design decision, but they thought changing it abruptly would confuse the GAG users so they were postponing it.

• Actually yeah, I think that would a good solution. Seeing the comment box on top reinforces that the comment will be placed at the top, and of course that's no longer the case. It'd be a good suggestion, actually. :-)

• It's similar to Question Updates being posted below poll options where they essentially disappear. Another thing that would be a good little fix IMO.

• I'M FLIPPIN' OUT MAN

• Yeah, I'm confused at what I'm looking at.

• It's confusing and a bad idea.

• I'm actually starting to like it, albeit it's odd to see the oldest answer on the opinions and thus not knowing if there is a new one if you are keeping track of someone else's.

• I see that and what is this stupid annoying thing on the bottom of my screen?