Down voted for an opinion the asker didn't want?

Anyone else get down voted for stating the obvious?
Example
Asker"this girl never texts me first"
Me"you're on the back burner, she's not that into you"
Instant down vote
Now I realize it's not what people want to hear they want to hear
"She likes you she's just scared to fall in love, have tons of sex and babies and get married to you"
But if that was the case, then she'd text you.
Surely there should be some kind of way of stopping those askers who don't want actual opinions

Most Helpful Guy

• People like this can't take the truth and they are not interested in the truth. They want to rant and collect a support group of people that say support their views and anyone that does not gets down voted. I try and only down vote people that post rude, mean, nasty type, sexist and racist type comments. If I post a question I am open to opinions but they must be said in a respectful way. If they are said in a disrespectful way then the person will get a down vote. If the person is respectful then I am happy to hear the other person point of view.

• Haha see what I mean the girl that down voted me only proves my point about people that can't take and are not interested in the truth. She probably is one of those girls herself. Not that I care I just think it is funny I try that I try to only down vote people that deserve it and I get down voted. Hahaha people these days... Anyway thank you for MH.

What Guys Said 18

• There's many cases of this. I've said stuff that pisses people off a plenty and very few times is it warranted to receive downvotes. To me a downvote's really just a disagreement. But for others, they just downvote because they're bitter and hate seeing what they were afraid of.

I also suspect that users on here get into such extreme bitter disputes to the point where they go on some weird personal vengeance of each other and just downvote their opinions just because they're having a dispute. So you could easily put an opinion out there that someone didn't like and someone can see it and suddenly you're getting a downvote every opinion from that person who you accidentally pissed off to the point where they're stalking your profile with blood vessels bursting outta their head all pissed off at you.

This is exactly why I don't select MHOs because the MHO system is not something I'm a fan of. So many of these "questions" are just rants. Go find a "question" complaining about gold diggers and just put "Yea! All women are gold diggers!" to the bitter kid and you'll get a MHO while underneath it is all a bunch of comments talking about how to avoid them or how not all women are, etc.

• This website is like high school anymore, I've had different user names but been on here for over three years total. It's a lot more
      Tell me I'm pretty/hot and let's flirt than actually getting advice

• Yea I've noticed a lot of "rate me" questions popping up. I will say the update has helped out a lot especially with blocked users' questions not showing up (because I don't track usernames much and would write replies just to see I was blocked). But I do think they need to chill out with the religion, rate me, and nice guy rants.

• I'm suck of the "I'm not a bad looking guy, I'm smart, I don't want to hit on girls, why aren't they hitting on me, because they should so they are wrong" non-questions

• Its called confirmation bias. They want the opinion that most closely mirrors their own so they feel better about it. They could have 50 answers 49 of which disagree and they will give most helpful to the one that agrees with them. I've seen this happen. I like brutal honesty, "a biter truth is better than a sugar coated lie" Unfortunately most people seem to have a sweet tooth.

• Many people can't handle the truth...

• What everyone else said.

But, I don't like your solution. KEEP THE DOWNVOTE!! I hate all this fucking positivity - I want the ability to smack stupid people upside the head. I understand stupid people don't know how to use it, and will use it for malicious purposes, but that doesn't mean you should take tools away from *me*.

I pretty much only use the upvote to approve of things which are unique and interesting, or on target opinions (so I can save my "THIS" for really, really heartfelt approvals).

I *also* don't think people should get approval or thanks just for sharing their opinion - GAG already does that with XP pts.

• Most askers only want to hear what they want to hear. Notice how most of the "most helpful" answers agree with the asker. Even now you won't give anybody MH who doesn't agree with you lol

• Downvotes are nothing. I'm sure there was someone downvoting me at every opportunity lately, regardless of how factual the information was or how much it agreed with the Asker. They seem to have lost interest this week, and I got a lot less downvotes.

What annoys me is people who block me, because they disagreed with one of my opinions. They usually miss out on some valuable information, later. Sometimes that would be information they would agree with or want to know.

• It's the internet what can you expect, I get downvoted all the time and even for my favorite color and doesn't bother me one bit as people don't haft to agree with me.

• Its your opinion and the voting is everyone else's. Don't fret about it. The only time I down vote is when they are rude.

• I have been down voted and blocked, because I told a girl that said she looked like Megan Fox and that every guy she dated hated her and treated her like crap, that she is attracted to guys who treat her like crap or she just brings that side out of people.

she didn't appreciate that.

• I doubt it was due to her looking like Megan fox :P but it probably had a lot to do with her picking assholes

• If you read her post, you'd think it was her and not them. She sounded like "I'm hotter than all other women, why don't I have a guy?"

• Self entitled joy...

• Yeah, I've got it a couple of times, but I don't care, they asked so I'm gonna say what I think unless it's really hurtful.

• yeah sometimes

• I got it once for saying I was 5-8... So someone was unhappy that I'm taller than average? Okkkk... I can't really help it

• if you were 5'8" then i'd definetely not downvoted you. i dislike shorter girls not taller.
      unless i downvoted you by mistake so sorry. if you read my opinions then you'll see that i praise taller girls and insult shorter

• People down vote me than message me
    ask me if I will be theirs forever they tell
    me "Oh Justin Case I Love You Baby"
    i get lot of them it's secret crushes on me
    i can't possibly accept 1000 of crushes on GaG
    so trust me your not alone :)))

• People down vote you if your answer is something they don't like, is a truth they don't want to accept or they just don't like you for whatever reason. If you call out "most girls" or "most guys" for a certain behavior that one guy or girl will down vote you either because they do it and don't wanna come off as a bitch or a douchebag or because they are the one person who doesn't do it.

• don't care about votes from random people

• Askers can't handle the truth lol

• they are people who are just trying to fish sympathy and compliments...
    i feel sad for them!

• @asker see i got downvoted for no reason

• Clearly by someone who regularly needs confirmation... Ugh they ruin this site

• Happens to me all the time haha people just like what they want to hear makes them feel better if they don't like it they hate you even if it's true just shows the person is weak minded and can't handle probably immature too. One girl told me repeatedly 3 -5 times to kill myself on here because she didn't like my truthful answer I just laughed as I can tell she has serious self esteem issues

• I once got two down votes in like a 12 hour period. I spent 11 hours in the ER and will never post answers again that will get one single down vote. If I have to literally suck corn out of the asshole of a person to get an up vote I will do it. Luckily it only comes down to oral and some hand if I am lucky.

• Ewwwwwww. ;)
      I just think it would make gag better if down votes were taken away, does it help at all? No. It's better to flag someone if they are being mean. Up votes should be given to good thoughtful advice.

• Or we just kill everyone with differing opinions... Oh wait no... Maybe not

• We both might be (would be) dead ducks.

What Girls Said 17

• you're gonna get downvoted no matter what u say,. SOMEONE out there isn't gonna agree with you. Now go ahead and downvote me

• Meh, it honestly depends.
    You can never know for sure WHO downvoted you. It may not even have been the QA but someone around GAG who can't stand you and downvoted you just because you're you lol or someone who's been in that situation and their life experienced proved what you're saying to be false so they don't appreciate you filling a QA's head with an assumption. Even if it was the QA, you don't know that they downvoted you because what you said was just oh so honest that they couldn't handle it. Perhaps they downvoted you because it was a mediocre one-liner answer. Maybe it wasn't informative enough and didn't truly help them. Maybe they felt like you expressed an assumption as if it was fact, applying it to what could be a unique situation with other significant variables, yet you just clumped it together with an idea.

To assume that the only person to instantly downvote you is the QA is actually quite arrogant. You don't actually know for sure who it was who downvoted you so assuming that the only person who will downvote you is the QA kinda suggests that you think so highly of your answer and you believe that your answer is SO spot-on that the only possible That is incredibly egotistic. I've seen this attitude around GAG frequently where answerers get sooo offended if someone dare downvotes them like their true reason for showing up was to get a nice, good ego stroke rather than to truly help someone. Personally, I think that's really self-centered. I think that's all the product of a society who places waaaay too much value on likes from strangers. Just look at YouTube and Instagram -_-

• Yup I'm self centered :)

• You do realize you're doing exactly what you are berating me for... Except you are doing so in a bullying manner. There is no need to attack me. And that's what down voting is, passive aggressively attacking someone for their opinion.

• WOAH. You are WAAAAAY too sensitive. I can't believe all of that just came out of your mouth.
      I have absolutely zero intent to bully, attack, or berate you and the fact that you translated my answer as that really says something about you. I'm blocking you so that I don't have to deal with you in the future because your GAG-style is just not my taste at all.

• Meh. It happens lol I get down voted all the time. I'm not gonna filter myself because of it.
    Some people just ask so others would respond with what they wanna hear. And if you're too blunt/honest, they'll down vote lol
    Like an example is all these damn skinny girls posting pics asking "Omg, I must be fat or ugly, why doesn't anyone ask me out?" I get tired of that shit sometimes lol
    Sometimes I get so irritated by it that I'll post something like this:

[IMG]http://i59.tinypic.com/2j1pra8.jpg[/IMG]
    And I'll say something like "what's your excuse?"

Or I'll just say that fat and ugly people can get dates. Maybe it's your personality or lack of self confidence. I try to be nice. But some girls post multiple times anonymously "please rate me, I'm still single?" And I'll say, "yea, you already asked this."

Sometimes the truth hurts, but oh well. :/

• How about "get your head out of your ass, quit complaining and ask out a man yourself" that usually goes over really well for me. Don't bitch about stuff you can easily fix.
      I'm not sure what they expect us to say.
      "You're the skinniest most beautiful girl in the world and one day you'll marry a prince"?

• People are getting so mad I posted this! Haha they are trying to turn it around like its our fault if someone down votes us. This chick wondorous- read what she has said... Basically tried to bully me, I called her out on it. And thus I'm crazy.
      I suppose though this is probably the only place some people can actually feel powerful and stepping on others is how they do so.

• They just want that ego stroke so they can go for the guy with a perfect face and six pack abs, get rejected, then cry about how guys are assholes and only care about looks.

• People downvote just for fun sometimes I think. They downvote my favorite ice cream flavor, my favorite band, my favorite color... they downvote where I'm from..
    They even downvote this very post!
    Don't sweat it. People just downvote to downvote. Let the downvoters have their fun.. >_>

• Well, lots of people are not here for advice. They just want to be validated by other people.
    Not many people can handle your opinion if it's different from their opinion.

• I try not to take it personally, & remember not everyone is going to like you or your opinion. I once answered a question & it was the most harmless answer ever, & 3 or 4 people down voted me. Someone asked the question, who do you think on this site has a good personality & I listed a few people. For some reason, people down voted this. I just didn't take it personally, I didn't do anything wrong, so I considered it their problem, not mine.

• Im stupid Blondie, please downvote me.

• Yeap I believe you. One time they ask "what is your height?" I said 5'3 . A guy downvote me lol i couldn't believe it I laughed out loud because am like what the hell am supposed to do, cry because am not Your height? Lol. That is absurd.
    We all have different opinions and if someone ask a questions prepare to receive answers, like it or not.

• Exactly! Other people have said they've been down voted for favorite colors or bands. Why does that deserve a down vote?

• It doesn't deserve a downvote at all, makes no sense to me.

• People need to grow up. But, you can't be really sure who down voted u. It need not be the asker always.

• Just now got a female downvote, and the @Asker is female, so I can't assume (I am sure this time) it was her. That's what I'm trying to say. Other GaGers disagreeing with you is okay, but the asker downvoting u for an honest answer is stupid.

• I know its someone else.

• Doesn't matter, it shouldn't of happened.

• Yeah, all the time. A lot of people want affirmation, not actual advice.

• Haha I get that a lot!

• It wasn't what they wanted to here.

• as you said people only want to hear what they want

• Oh , exactlyyyy lmao

• Lol the truth hurts. So they down vote. Butthurt idiots.

• Ok well you have to get over it
    People are allowed to down vote that is why gag has it

• I just don't make sense to me, you don't agree with me, I'm not gonna down vote you for it. Down voting should be like flagging someone, it should be used when someone is attacking the asker. Not as "they think differently than I do"

• Yeah, I got DV for telling the truth about my OWN body... I think I would knoooow!!

• Seriously? That doesn't even make sense!

• I know it! I just don't understand all that's involved!! Holy s**t! I just got DV's again! I promise I know my own body!!!