Do you ever stop and humbly wonder if you're doing a disservice to yourself by blocking someone over a minor, trivial occurrence?

The blocking feature was ultimately designed to maintain some sense of harmony when people who can't seem to get along are disrupting an atmosphere. However, I've noticed many users misuse that feature and instead use it as a way to be passive aggressive. The most common example is saying something rude then blocking someone so they can't defend themselves. Personally, I think that's cowardly. That's the equivalent of being in you car, cursing the person next to you, then speeding off like a weakling so you don't actually have to be held accountable for your behavior. Has that happened to you before? Generally, some people will block others over something minor that simply hurt their ego or didn't give them the result they wanted. I find that to be very immature and foolish because while that user is being too emotional and sensitive in that one post... fast forward two months from now, say they truly need someone to give the genuine, heartfelt, thought out, thorough advice yet they have blocked someone from doing just that. This is why I’m very careful about who I block because I realize I’m not just blocking them from one post; I’m blocking any possible wisdom or guidance they have to offer. Realistically, they may have knowledge on an experience that is entirely uncharted for me yet if I've blocked them over something petty in the past, I've done a disfavor to myself. We are all unique individuals and our stories have lead us to very different keys and tools to life. Some of us who are more open-minded and more mature have more keys and tools than others and this is the type of place where you can benefit from that difference. Some things are bigger than your pride.

What do you think? What are your thoughts on this topic?

Most Helpful Guy

• I'll agree with you completely and I have posted about this very issue before.

This personal bases censorship is broken, it should not be allowed to block after posting a comment to the one you wish to block - you should be forced to choose between communication or blocking.

I could name names, but the last time I posted saying who did what, it's was censured away by GaG, apparently passive-aggressions are allowed, telling fact about who is blocking who based on what is not.

Long live the freedom of speech.

What Guys Said 2

• I think it's pretty pathetic. I could understand if someone was following you from post to post and making stupid comments and shit purposely to annoy you, but blocking because you disagree with someone? Pathetic. What the fuck are you here for if you aren't prepared to have your views challenged?

• I honestly think this is overthinking it. There's a multitude of people, one person blocked won't make that much of a difference.

What Girls Said 3

• I have no one on block, I will keep it that way, I don't see the point of blocking people.

• i only block people when they badger me

• I have never blocked someone on here, but I would if they were harassing me. Most of the people I've come across on here seem pretty nice. Every once in a while someone will be pretty negative, but I don't take it personally.