Does anyone else feel that GAG just keeps making unnecessary changes?

It just seems like they're changing things just to make changes with no point or purpose.

Apparently, the opinion order on questions has changed (again) and it makes absolutely no sense to me. I found it in the FAQ and it was hard to understand. Has anyone else seen this?

Explanation of the new order of opinions on questions from the FAQ:

"Not Logged In
1) Most Helpful Opinion (MHO)
2) Experts
3) Genders
Xper Level descending (time descending among same levels)

Logged In
1) Most Helpful Opinion (MHO)
2) Experts
3) Genders
New Opinions (displayed for Asker only on the first visit after notification)
My Opinion (displayed for answerer only)
Non-Anonymous Users that are on the following list of the user viewing the page (time descending)
Non-Anonymous Masters and then Gurus (time descending)
Rest; time descending (including anonymous, Gurus, and Masters)" http://www.girlsaskguys.com/faq/posts

I mean really, this just seems extremely unnecessarily complicated. It makes no sense to me and I don't understand the purpose of it. I wish the admins would just keep things simple. Anyway, I'm interested in hearing other people's viewpoints on this. Thoughts?

• Yes, I think the site is making too many unnecessary changes.
  • No, it doesn't bother me, I like the changes.
  • I have no opinion/See results

Most Helpful Guy

• Oh god yes D=, it seems like Admins changes the site more than most people do their underwear. Some changes where for the better while most changes only made things worse like changes to opinion order and that annoying feature that gave everyone a million tabs. I don't think admins should be forcing random changes on us G@Gers without us agreeing to it. I believe G@G should let us G@Gers vote on weather the changes/features get implemented as it effects users more than it does admins. It should be more about user power and less about admin power as the site would be nothing without us users..

What Guys Said 14

• GaG has been taking a trial and error approach. Try something, it doesn't work, so change it back. Try something else and it doesn't work, so change it back. It shows that they have no clear direction. They are just tossing random ideas out there. Some of which make no sense whatsoever, like the stuff the OP mentioned.

I think this site needs to be relatively small in order to be effective. Trying to grow it is counterproductive and only hurts the site. By becoming larger it loses it's personal atmosphere. The entire atmosphere and feel of the site has changed. This place is becoming a site for trolls, nonsense questions, spam, chit chat, popularity contests, people lying about their dick size, race baiting, jealousy, envy.

Every once in a while there is a real question... assuming it doesn't scroll off too fast because dicks and rate me questions are more popular. When "Who's the hottest GaGer?" gets 30 opinions, and legitimate Girls asking Guys get 3 opinions, then something is off track.

I understand that a site like this needs a certain amount of social atmosphere to remain viable. But GaG has lost it's focus and balance.

• I couldn't agree more. It has drastically changed since I had my first account in 2010. There were way more "real" questions back then. I know the owners of the site want to expand so they can make more money, but in doing that, I feel that the true purpose of the site is being lost and it's quite sad.

• Got to agree with you. Especially the loosing xper for removing stuff from your profile, and loosing xp for inactivity is plain stupid.
    I get that they want us to add a bit of info about ourselves, but come on! And with the curent setup they're discouraging people from actually having a life by for example going on a holiday. At least add an option that lets you freeze the timer (but also prevent you from gaining XP) for a set time, so it is possible to go on a 2month holiday without loosing XP.

And the order of posts... well, let's say that it favores people with lots of xper, because often when picking MHO if you got lots of posts, it tend to be among the first half you read. Why? not because they're better, but becaus by the time you've read through 10-15 posts you've heard the same 3 times, just voiced differently. So the first one SOUNDS more infomrative because it was fresh and exciting, not necesarily because it was well written. So the MHO goes to a high XPER poster, while a low XPER actually wrote it better. You were just too tired/bored to gve him a fair jude.

Lots of unnecesary changes in my opinion

• Yeah, I agree with you. I wish the opinion order was changed back to the way it used to be. With simply being in order of the time users post and that's it.

• Yup. and makes it hard to see if there's new coments too! You got to look at the timestamp instead of just looking from the top!

• We feel your pain adjusting to the changes in the opinion order, it's hard and confusing at first.
    However, we're making these changes to create prioritization other than time in the flow, like Followings appearing on top (this helps you to quickly find what those you're interested in have to say).

We are working towards a more customized G@G experience and these features will continue to be improved upon.

We can always get better and do better, we appreciate the suggestions and feedback.
    Keep it coming! :)

• I really wish you guys gave +1 XPER for upvotes, though.

• Well, sorry to challenge you Lol But I don't agree with prioritizing it. I am interested in what EVERYONE has to say on a particular question. It was simply easier to navigate and view all opinions when it was in order by time. But thanks for taking the time to respond to me and I sincerely hope you will all reconsider the opinion order (although I doubt that will happen, I had to say it haha).

• Yes, I can't get used to anything thing before its changed. I liked how whoever was first to answer would stay at the top in case they misread the question or something (like I would) and the asker cleared it up with a comment on their opinion and everyone would be able to see it first... not everyone updates their questions unfortunately. This is gonna be jumbled up and stuff :O Haha its getting kinda feature crazy and I'm no slouch when it comes to computers!

• I just logged on for the first time in a few months tonight. Everything seems so different from what I was used to. I have trouble even finding questions I want to answer, it seems like the same handful of questions are all I have to choose from. Now that I have that figured out I am wondering why a question I asked last time I was here says I never selected a best answer, I usually like to wait and see if any of the advice given was worthy of a BA. I don't know I am having an old man moment it seems lol.

• I'm still pissed at them for not giving +1 XPER for getting an upvote. The site doesn't encourage good answers at all.

I was originally against the XPER idea, but this basically rewards people with higher XPER to be more exposed to people who are quickly scrolling down and checking the answers, the MASTER and GURU is the first, so more people see it as a "first opinion" when they click the navigation bar for either sex. I can see why they did it.

EXPERTs, well I like Caren-Field but I don't see EXPERT answers that often.

• It's not only ordered by xper level anymore though. They changed it again so it's more complicated than that now. But I can see where you're coming from, thanks for your input.

• That's odd. When an anonymous user tries to mention someone, the username is not highlighted. I have randomly come across anonymous users who have mentioned me but I never got notified of it.

• Interesting. I didn't get highlighted but I did get the Mention notification, haha.

• brutally honest I haven't noticed much. but now that I read this lets see if I get annoyed by noticing anything lol

• Lol I just don't understand the purpose of making the opinion order THAT complicated. Haha

• I think that in a large community it's hard to do good for everyone, make that work in a profitable way and keep your advertisers happy as well...
    In other words, we'll always like some of the changes and dislike other ones. Overall, as long as the performance is reasonable, I don't really worry about it.
    For me the most important thing is that the nice interaction with kind people from all over the world is there.
    And it is. So I'm happy :-)

• Amen, sister. Reading through that policy is like reading the tax code. Sometimes, if not oftentimes, simpler is better.

• haha! I agree. I wish the opinion order was simpler. I liked when it was ordered only by time posted.

• personally I feel it should be most helpful on to. Then the opposite gender's opinion in order. Then the askers gender's opinions in order.

• Well, i wish that I had a way to only allow communication
    between me and the "Asker" of the question i see so many
    arguments happening cause people making comments
    on my Opinion , them are people who are not the "Asker"

• I agree. There seems to be many pointless changes. I haven't really seen any that have bothered me all that much but there are definitely lots of unnecessary changes.

• Yeah, really the recent opinion order change is the only one that has REALLY bothered me simply because it is so unnecessarily confusing and complicated and it serves no purpose. At this point, I feel like the admins are changing things just to make changes.

• I agree. The biggest thing that bothers me is the site is not user friendly at all with my kindle. Actually, its horrible beyond description. I've heard lots of people say the same on other compact devices.

• I think their bigger failing is not making changes that are necessary.

• i have no problem with it

What Girls Said 2

• I actually kind of like the new order, because I think anon users should be at the bottom. I haven't been on the site that long though so some of the changes people talk about were already in place when I joined.

• I just don't like how confusing it is to find new opinions to questions because all the answers are all mixed up and in different orders. It's just way too complicated I think. But yeah, this is a completely different site than it used to be in terms of layout and features. Some new things I like but, overall, I feel like most of the changes at this point are just unnecessary.

• I don't like this change. Just because you have higher XPER doesn't necessarily mean you actually give good opinions which are worthy of being on the top. I liked it when it was just by time.

I just think they make changes when they're really bored.

• Yeah, I agree. At first they changed the opinion order to xper level but the latest change to the opinion order is just confusing to me. It's not only ordered by xper level but also users on the following list of the viewer and then more masters and gurus and then everyone else. I just think it's way too complicated.