Am I the only one who thinks GaG should ban questions on religion?

It seems as though there's more and more questions regarding religion lately. I wouldn't care if any of them were legitimate questions, but it seems like a large percentage of them are just looking to start drama and the asker isn't looking for any answers that differ from their own opinion.

Religion is a really personal thing and should be kept to yourself. If you don't believe, keep that to yourself as well. No one likes having people shove their beliefs down their throats, no matter who you are or what you believe.

This is GirlsaskGuys, not the Huffington Post or the Daily Mail. You should be asking questions you have about the opposite gender, not trying to enlighten all the Christians on here or convert people all the Athiests.

Can we all just agree to disagree on this topic and just leave each other alone? And just strictly post questions where you actually need answers or advice?

Most Helpful Guy

• I think you have a good point, though I wouldn't go as far as to ban question on religions as sometimes relationships are affected by that and well, a good advice might help. I do think that someone here should keep a more strict control on questions that might be offensive or plainly aggressive to people of any creed or belief.

• That's a great idea! GaG should assign a couple of their moderates on that. Maybe then overflow of hate speeches disguised as questions will stop, or at least be minimized.

• Totally, it would be great if they would actually!

• Thanks for MHO!

What Guys Said 34

• Unless they have something to do with dating like dating problems because of religious differences I just skip over them at this point. They are all bullshit walls of text with no purpose.

• That's generally what I do, but I've noticed the number of those questions seem to be growing. I guess I'll have to keep doing that, since everyone else seems to enjoy the religion topic.

• I noticed that too! I always know when I leave an opinion on a question like that I won't get MHO, because I generally don't agree with the asker. I can't stand when people ask a question and don't actually want opinions, just people to stroke their ego and agree with them.

• Yea and it happens way too often.

• I agree. The quantity of religious and racism questions is getting out of hand. Do we really need 4+ a day?
    I feel there needs to be a temporary ban on them. 4 maybe 6 weeks. It's getting out of control. Like you say a number of them are just to start arguments.

But this is just my opinion.

Let the flaming begin.

• I agree, there should at least be some kind of moderator that regulates these questions and makes sure no one is posting anything offensive.

• This website has been taken over from these Far right venom spewing skinny heads and unfortunately its not like before when all we had was funny question which would give everyone a smile on their faces

There are enough forums and websites on the web for them to go and propagate their ideals and terror. Which brings to my conclusion that these guys/girls have been kicked out from there and so they drop in here.
    There is not even a single Christian. Muslim, Jew or anybody who is trying to spread his teachings on this site But still some of them think it is alright to hate each and every person who follows a religion.

This guy @Mesonfielde along with his spooked gang started it.

• Dont forget me jihadi!

• You think @TheStatenIslandFairy is your mommy to listen to your whining babyface.

• Technically I am against permanent mutilation of children without their consent against their will, and both Muslims and Jews are fairly guilty of claiming that it's totally acceptable to override people's autonomy over themselves in the name of God for nothing but kicks.

Anyways, you're pointing at the wrong person, the Anonymous lady who said she wants to convert a christian to muslim is the one who actually started the avalanche.

• No. Nobodies forcing you to read anything you don't want to. Let people with an interesting in these topics express that interest.
    I'd like people to stop asking stupid fucking Astrology questions but I don't actually think people should be literally stopped from doing so.

• True. I'd probably be more okay with it if people were better at expressing their opinions, because it just comes off as trolling or hate to me. Maybe I'm just being sensitive though.

• Well there are definitely people who deliberately post stupid or antagonistic things just to get a reaction.
      However I do notice a lot of sensitive users get upset over legit responses to things they've said. I remember replying to an anon post (I forget exactly what she had said. It was months ago.) but there was a glaring mistake in what she had written and I couldn't resist responding. Her immediate response was to label me a troll for disagreeing with her. I see that sort of behavour quite often. Being challenged does not mean people are trying to be mean to you. It's a public forum, of course you're going to get responses.

I can't really say if you're being too sensitive, I can't say I've seen any posts by you before, but there's definitely an issue with people being too thin skinned on here.
      This post is more of a train of thought, rather than a direct response to you.

• I have noticed a lot of people here are uber defensive if you say something that contradicts them. I'm generally not a sensitive person, but sometimes it really gets to me when I see people posting things that look like they're just saying it to get under people's skin. It seems so unnecessary. I wouldn't care too much if people were able to discuss stuff like this in a civil manner, but a lot of them really can't.

• I think I completely understand what you are saying and I indeed know where you are coming from. Essentially, there is an increasing number of people posting rants (in disguise of questions) to purpose look for opinions to boost their ego or to just religion bash. It can be really annoying or just entertain to see back and read the long debates from the computer screen. These questions really are not posted to look for the opposite sex's opinion nor even different opinions in general; just as you put forward.

But unfortunately (and I mean a big but!), your whole argument, it would be more stronger if what you claimed what the website should be for is actually what it 'should' be used for. To be fair, you could say that the whole concept of the website was originally to be some sort of question and answer website for people, who want to ask questions about the opposite sex, who want answer from the opposite sex. It 'was' originally which brings me on to my next point.

GAG has always been evolving and more types of posts (not everything posted here are questions now since the website is now infested with blatant rants) are now being accepted to be posted whether it is right or not. An example of how GAG has evolved (significantly or insignificantly) is that GAG have now changed 'best answer' to 'most helpful opinion' because they felt the name holds more relevance to the way people perceive the responses to posts to more of an 'opinion' rather than directly an 'answer'. Even, 'rate-me' posts haven't always been accepted by the website but they are now are.

In short, it would be near impossible to say for sure whether or not these posts on religion should be banned or not considering the basis of what GAG primarily meant for apart from the foundation of posting posts and receiving responses to the posts. All you can do for now is report what posts you feel are deemed inappropriate or offensive or you can just ignore it.

I hope this insight helps you.

• I understand. I just can't stand seeing people spread hate on other people's beliefs. Even if I don't agree with someone, it's so childish to completely dismiss their way of life because it's not my way of life. I get what you're saying though.

• I empathise with you, but that's how a lot of people are. People feel that they need to bash on other ways of life because they really believe they are right. You have a good heart for not wanting to see this king of stuff. I admire you for it.

• Yeah, despite all my arguments people aren't really willing to realize I'm right. No real point to arguing about religion if people love to be oppressed.

Today really is quite the religion-fest, though. Usually it's not so extreme, I think the initial troll who said she is a Muslim and wants to convert a Christian to Muslim really riled up everyone, including myself :D

• "Yeah, despite all my arguments people aren't really willing to realize I'm right."

Isn't that exactly what ignorant religious people usually say about their religion? :D

• @SandPlanet to be honest, my thoughts on this whole thing can be summed up by two things
      1.) fc00.deviantart.net/.../...ht_by_3_Angled_Blue.png
      2.) all statements are right, but some statements are more right than others

They can't convince me to think that music is bad and makes you go to hell, that is fucken' absurd and I honestly don't get why anyone would follow a religion that claims that XD

• OMG that picture!!! HAHAHA

• No, they should not.

Yes it's an intimate subject, but so is sex. Yes, it's a controversial subject that often has differences that can't be bridged, but so what? You can learn something from it, even if you can't agree. If you feel someone is just infuriating you, stop reading. Move on.

• Religion should be banned full stop. It is the primary cause of 99% of wars around the world just because one set of idiots believe in something different to the set of idiots next door. I know it helps some people through difficult times but causes so much more pain than it heals x

• Actually it's all a big land dispute. The Bible even says so. The reason the Muslims and Jews are fighting over in the middle east is because a few thousand years ago Abraham had a child with his slave mistress, then later on had a child by his wife, and there was an inheritance dispute between the two half-brothers over who would receive the land. Even without religion there would still be war. Religion simply helps us understand WHY there is war. So please stop ignorantly blaming all the world's problems on a few people who believe an invisible sky God will send them to Hell if they eat bacon.

• Lmfao yeh the excuses will already be being prepared now in The Bible part 2 the return of Jesus of Mars.

• Could you guys take this little lovefest into a private message? I'm getting notifications up the wazoo.

• I'd love the politics and religion topics to die. They have nothing to do with the purpose of this site.

• Agree 1,000,001%

Mostly, they are not questions. They are just a rant. Of course mostly towards one group.

• Most of them aren't seeking the truth, they are only insulting and spreading lies about one religion, but i don't support banning these questions since there are some GAGERS who really seek the truth.

• Religion is a way for people to help wrap their minds around the world/universe around us and their perceived purpose for living. Of course it's all ideas that come from flawed peeps, passed on in various forms from generation to genration, and therefore *faith* based, but whatever helps people maintain sanity in a peaceful way is all good as far as I'm concerned.

• I mean, I recently attended a funeral for a family member and everyone around me was so comforted by the "fact" this person that just died was now in a better place. Of course it's just our own made-up idea of "heaven" and that there must be a better place after life on earth, which I think is silly and don't believe, but why would I want to pop that bubble for the people that believe it? It's kinda awesome that some peeps are able to buy into religion and the bubble wrapped explanation for why we were "created" and what happens after we die.

• There really shouldn't be any "side"... all we can be confident in is that fact we exist in on earth, and that earth is like a grain of sand on a beach (relative to the overall universe) and that none of us alive today will ever have any tangible proof of...

A) what started it all

and

B) what happens after we die

But people sure like to argue about it. Like I keep saying, we sorta have to grasp something to help us sleep at night. And we call it *faith*

• Damn right people love to argue about it lol.

I'm generally a person who doesn't talk about religion or my beliefs, because frankly it makes me uncomfortable really, but I know what I believe and just keep it to myself. Seeing so many religion bashing "questions" finally got to me that I just had to say something. It's as if World War III is taking place right here on GaG (exaggerating of course, but you know what I mean).

I'd just much prefer this site stayed on the topics of relationships and gender issues rather than politics and religion. Of course others here don't seem to agree judging by the answers I got, so I guess I'm just gonna continue to ignore those kind of questions.

• lmao i just commented on a post about this bitch that wanted to know if she should dump her bf cause he won't change from catholic to muslim... they been together a few weeks... and on top of that she's refuses to change for him... though its understandable y i still find it incredible she would expect him to change for her... needless to say i got a little heated and might have been slightly racist with my comment -.-

• I understand why that might have upset you, but you can't take your anger out on an entire race over someone who's just being plain selfish.

• them statistics are not accurate their just random numbers to give an idea... even if its was 80% good and 20% bad ide have to consider if it was worth having them around... but anywho it was fun chatting with u about this but i have to head to bed ill chk up on the reply tomorrow

• The issue I have is people are fighting over something that doesn't effect them directly. Racism in any form isn't right, and generalism just as bad. I'm a logical person too, so I know what we see is just merely propaganda.

We both seem to be aware of what the other is trying to say, so I'm just going to agree to disagree.

Sweet dreams and goodnight!

• Here's suggestions for other questions that should be banned:

How do I give a good blowjob?
    Does he/she like me?
    Which GaG member would you most like to fUCK?
    Do you think I'm attractive?
    He looked at me, what does it mean?

• I get it, I get it lol. I'm tired of people starting religious rants and getting people all worked up about it.

• That ain't a half bad idea.

• I'd rather they post here than in a forum where everyone agrees with them.

• Wrong. It states in our Bible that we are to spread the word. I will respect and not shove it down your throat, but that's what this country was founded on and for. Religion, and the freedom to practice your religion how you please. This kind of liberal, socialist, politically correct garbage thinking is why today's society is so terrible. People have faith. Get over it. People have questions on that faith. Again. Get over it. Sorry girl. Freedom of speech, first amendment of our constitution.

• Your knickers... They're in such a twist, how do you even walk?

I'm not an Atheists. When I posted this, it was mainly because of an abundant of rants posed as questions against religion and I was getting tired of it. People may have questions, but the ones who ask questions here regarding religion are only looking for a drama.

My point was this site is about helping people with questions about the opposite gender, and not a site to shame people for believing in something (or not believing in something).

• I agree with that aspect. When people just rant about how wrong you are, that is the wrong answer. Discussing different views and respecting the others belief system, however, I feel is completely acceptable.

• Exactly. When I posted this question, there was a TON of questions on religion that had no intention of listening to anyone unless they were going to agree with them that religion was stupid. It's like watching a child abuse a privilege, you kind of just want to take that privilege away from them until they learn to use it properly. Of course that's not realistic and I know that, but at least something should be done so people don't have to defend themselves 24/7 or risk people believing the hate rants cause no one said anything against it.

• I think they should ban questions about banning questions.

• I love seeing people argue, so no lol. In any case, people who don't like the topic don't have to click on the question.

• I think they should ban questions about sex/relationships.

• We should just ban all questions and turn this site into a image sharing site restricted to cat pictures...

• Ummmm no kitties. Yucky :(

• They do say that religion is like a penis; it's perfectly OK to have one but you shouldn't go waving it around in public or shoving it down people's throats.

• lol that's really funny, I agree. What you believe (or don't believe if you're Atheist) should just be kept to yourself.

• im against banning them. People are perfectly capable of debating such issues without going overboard

• People should have thinker skin and not lets stupid people get to them. Weak minded people annoy me anyways.

• It's not about having thick skin, it's about the constant unnecessary drama that gets in the way of seeing people with real problem's questions.

• How about you scroll past it. I see them some but not enough to where that's all I see. And if they removed a type of question for some people they would have to for another. And then no one could post anything without it being taken down.

• I agree 100%.

I just think religion is irrelevant Af

• If you don't like it then don't read about it! problem solved! complaining about how people abuse that section is not going to fix anything its only going to cause controversy!

• I do ignore them, but I noticed lately they've been popping up a lot more. I just wanted to see if it bothered any else as much to see if I should mention it to one of the mods. If people don't mind it, then there's no point in talking to the mods about it.

• Yeah. But my fights not about religions. JOIN MY FIGHT AGAINST ICE CREAM TRUCKS!

• Nuns_in_heat would have to be changed to female religious icons in heat. Nuns is too religious :< For shame lol for shame XD

• I'll git right on that Mhmmm

• I dont give a ship about it but people are free to share their opinions.

• I never engaged on any of those topics, they just tend to make a huge religious fight

• Neither have I actually, but I just noticed an increase in them and it's started to get to me. Several times I've wanted to put my two cents in, but realized it would just be pointless.

• yeah, you have nothing to tell towards religious people if you are an atheist. "I can't understand their Religion"

• Im with you. I dont care whatever religion people might have.

• As noble as you are trying to sound such a gesture is futile!

• I'm not trying to sound noble, I just want people to be able to believe what they want without being bullied for it. I understand banning is a bit extreme, but there should be at least a moderator who gets rid of any offensive rants. This is a site that helps enlighten the people on the opposite gender, there shouldn't be so many posts starting fights or drama.

• More from Guys
    4

What Girls Said 12

• No. I'm not a big fan of unnecessary censorship. I think a good debate and discussion is good once in a while. BUT I do think it's ridiculous that people make up rants that are pretending to be questions. But this happens in any category, religion, political, gender, race, etc. Like guys and girls ask "Why are men/women so shallow?" Or something like "Can we agree that most if not all (insert race here) like to (insert stereotype here)? And then the question details is some rant.
    I'd much rather prefer if everyone grabs there cojones tightly, pony up, and learn to take critque, learn to handle and ask questions properly, learns to just realize that there are opposing views. I like the genuine questions about religion/atheism that are asked. Not dumb ones like "Why can't Christians think properly?" or "why are atheists assholes?" These are obviously not real questions and only "asked" to make a generalization. Truth is, no one can think properly, we all can be assholes. It's not limited to any particular group.
    Even so, I disagree with censorship. These assholes or people who abuse it are the price we have to pay for free thoughts/ideas. :/
    So people just need to learn how to be adults and respect each other. FUCK. Give peace a chance for once. -_-

• I disagree with you. I am against banning them because I believe that there are people who have the ability to debate on certain topics without making it personal.
    HOWEVER, in my opinion, questions like :
    "Why are "white/black/asian women/men so ugly" or anything misandrist/misogynist-related,
    should be banned because they don't really offer anything but drama.

• I think what we really need is a couple of mods to moderate the questions to make sure no one is posting offensive questions, or posting questions that just don't belong on the site (ie "why are all christians so stupid?" or "why are all atheists so annoying?"). I don't like seeing people asking "questions" that are clearly just so they can rant and blow off steam. If anyone is filled with that much hate, they should let it out in a therapist's office, not here.

• You've got a point. But not all religious questions are like that.
      Some of them are made for the sole purpose of debating.
      I agree with you that name-calling is immature and it should be regulated though.
      People need to be more rational and less emotional. They also need to ummm word their questions in a more civil way.
      Anyway, this can happen in any topic, not just religion. I usually try to ignore them.

• Absolutely right. I try to ignore those questions too, I guess I just let it get to me too much today. I don't mind a good debate, as long as it is good and not hateful. I do wish GaG would regulate the questions better.

• Yes i think they should ban religion questions because I just answered one and it's pissing me off.
    All they do is judge other people's religion, we have Freedom of Religion (in US). Everyone should just ask about dating questions and what clothes they like. WHY CAN"T PEOPLE JUST STOP BEING JUDGMENTAL?

• This is exactly what I'm talking about. Questions like that tend to get people really worked up and irritated. This site should help people, not piss them off.

• Completely agree. If only other people understood this.

• I actually think religion is always an interesting topic.

• I agree when it's an actual question and people are actually curious. Most of the time it's just someone ranting and not looking for any real different opinions, just someone to agree with them.

• I agree, I just wish people were more civil when expressing those views.

• Nahhh keeping it real is all we really want.
      Sugar coating is for pussies.

• No it's something everyone discusses and it will continue to be that way. They should definitely ban questions about sexual fantasies/anything paedo-ish or "girls, is my dick small?" questions.

• Emotional answer: Yes, I think they should.
    Rational answer: No, I think they shouldn't.
    Final answer: No, I think they shouldn't

Now, if everyone who participates in discussions about controversial topics such as religion (among others) stopped posting purely out of emotion and more out of rationality, these threads wouldn't be breeding grounds for lowbrow comment-wars, but actually for interesting and possibly enlightening discussions.

• I agree. They just seem to cause way more harm than good.

• Exactly how I feel. It would be different if people could actually be civil about it, but most of them can't.

• Yep, I feel like all they do is cause problems and pointless internet fights.

• We can't control what goes through people's minds, so there's no point in banning them. In fact, its good that people are fighting for their religion through words, instead of physically. This is much better.

• Maybe you're right. I just wish people could go about it in a better way, instead of being completely biased and closed minded to someone's rebuttal. Then again, I guess everyone is a little biased when it comes to their beliefs.

• Ideally, there shouldn't be bias, especially the kind of bias that insults others. But this ain't the perfect world!

• Completely true.

• No. There are many people capable of debating religion without going overboard and when they do, the discussion is actually quite interesting.

• Not really those annoy the hell out of me too

• Why would it be better, to just simply ban the things we don't like?

• I'm not saying ban everything we don't like. I'm saying it doesn't have anything to do with this site, and it caused a lot of unnecessary drama. A lot of these questions aren't even legitimately questions and just looking to start a fight or wind someone up.

• I'm cool with it as an atheist it keeps me entertained