Can someone please explain the new opinions-order to me?

Okay, I know it's not exactly new, but still haven't figured out if it's a glitch or actually on purpose. If it's purposely, then what exactly is the system/idea behind it?

It used to be very simple and logical - the opinions where ranked from most recent one down to oldest one. Now it seems completely arbitrary, as if on shuffle.

Or am I missing something? Is this a glitch they're still working on?

Oh, and I forgot to include a very important detail:

#FirstWorldProblemsFTW

Most Helpful Girl

• According to the FAQ page:

Not Logged In
    1) Most Helpful Opinion (MHO)
    2) Experts
    3) Genders
    Xper Level descending (time descending among same levels)

Logged In
    1) Most Helpful Opinion (MHO)
    2) Experts
    3) Genders
    New Opinions (displayed for Asker only on the first visit after notification)
    My Opinion (displayed for answerer only)
    Non-Anonymous Users that are on the following list of the user viewing the page (time descending)
    Non-Anonymous Masters and then Gurus (time descending)
    Rest; time descending (including anonymous, Gurus, and Masters)

• I had no idea this information was on the FAQ page, now I feel stupid for not having taken a look myself. But thanks, that was very informative!

• Thanks for MH 😀

• You deserved it for being less lazy than me and having actually searched through the FAQ for the answer. :)

What Guys Said 9

• It changed from recent-oldest to, at some point (a few weeks ago? Can't remember) ordered by xper rank of the answerer. But I noticed yesterday it didn't seem to follow that as strictly any more, or what I actually saw on one question was the male answers were by rank and the women's were not.

I will keep my eyes open and see if I can determine the pattern.

• It looks to me like it's currently a hybrid, where rank 9 and higher answers are first, then ranks 1-8 from recent to oldest.

• It strikes me as a change that doesn't benefit the active users, but may be intended to be useful for lurkers who browse old questions. Note that the advertising seen by the lurkers is what pays the bills. I can sort of imagine for old questions some hybrid sort based on upvoting & rank might make sense (they have a presumption that high rank opinions matter more... TBH I'm not sure I agree, but I -might- agree that for an old question, ranking the 0 upvote answers by rank might be the best guess).

I wonder if a system where recent questions have opinions sorted by date, old by upvotes/rank might work? Or maybe all opinions/opinions with comments in the past 24 hours, then older goes to a upvote/xper sort?

• Well, any lurker can use an adblock though...

• Yes, when the moon is in Ares, the most recent opinion will appear at the top.
    When the dove's entrails are full of bile, the oldest opinion will appear at the top.
    When the tarot deck gives you the six of swords, opinions alternate oldest, newest, next oldest, next newest.
    When the Ouija board says, "Good bye," then opinions alternate newest, oldest, next newest, next oldest, and so on.

Hope that helps.

• Yeah I was wondering the same thing. At first I thought I was losing my mind. Guess people like to change things just for the sake of change. There's other things they could add or change but they decide to fuck with something that's perfectly fine as it is.

• I think they should just make upvotes/downvotes visable and rank opinions in accordance to that. Example... an opinion with 10upvote/0 down votes would likely be first and then 10ups and 1down could be the equivalent of 9upvote so that would likely second. Yeah you get the point. In the case that 2 or more opinions have the same number of votes then the most recent opinions would take precedence. That seems like it would be the simplest/most fair way to do it. And it would make the voting system have more of a purpose because currently I think voting is stupid. Its just a way to annonamously tell someone off without saying anything.
      Also they should add more customization options for your profile, like maybe a background. Ooooh and more prize options! :) sorry for the rant but I think these are solid ideas and I don't know where else to put them :/

• my experience is that it'sthe same GAG shit, different day.

my personal beef is that questions i post drop very quickly off the radar, being replaced by others. GAGers who know me will probably say this is a good thing, but i'd at least like to have the chance to be told go fuck myself before my thread ends up in the archives.

another problem is technical. every page i load on here has to go through that grey-bar shit in the lower left hand corner. processing this request, waiting for that bullshit. what happens as a result is the items on the menu slip and slide up and down to the point where i've actually clicked on one topic only to have another one open up.

i've emailed the admins several times, receiving answers that blamed everyone else including the antichrist for the problem. now i cannot do that because they are dead.

• I'd like to know this too!

• aficionada and I want some answers! Now give us some answers!

• *aficionado

Sorry.

• The number of answers we get here depends on the time at which we ask questions. This is an American site having mostly American members, so we get maximum responses if post according to US time.

No wonder you're getting answers to this!

• Well, I must be careful but I had the impression they had simply reversed the sorting from most recent on top to most recent at the bottom... although I haven't investigated it thoroughly.
    I noticed the change but have become used to it.

• I understand how it works, but don't get. Another website fixing something that wasn't broken. That's my opinion.

• Well you know, we don't wanna make things too easy for you

• It's stupid feature if you ask me, SaVes

What Girls Said 3

• I noticed the change. I think they are ranked by xper level. I am not a 100% sure though, I might be completely wrong.
    It was way better from recent to oldest. Now it's kind of confusing and a bit unfair for the new users as they don't get noticed.

• That's exactly how I feel about it.

P. S.: We should interact more from now on. You seem nice and intelligent, a rare mix on here. :)

• Me? You must have confused me with someone else!
      But yeah, of course we should. I guess I should stop being timid and start interacting with the people I like. : )

• The update that GAG did on this was on the 23rd of September.. Highest xper points above all comments? Yeah thats true.. Unfortunately.. Its so freaking confusing, i hope they change it back 😒

• Not only confusing, I find it unfair. They give easier accessibility to higher Xper users' answers.

• No, that talk was much better.

• To a small degree 😋

• It seems like it is ranked by xper level. Highest xper user on top, lowest on bottom, but you'll always see your's at the top no matter what... for convenience I guess. Honestly, it is very annoying. If you want to see new answers you have to search through the thread and look at the time stamps. I hope they are just working on this and not punishing us lol

• If that is actually the case, it makes zero sense. Why would they do this? And if anything, why the higher Xper users on top? That way the lower Xper users get even less attention. I really hope this isn't the case.

• Recently no admins were around apparently, because even the most hostile and offensive posts weren't removed. Maybe the admins are on a late summer vacation...

• You mean the islamic one? That was interesting, yeah.