The irony in 'rate me' questions. You say you hate them yet u do it anyway?

Quite self explanatory. so why is that?

this is mostly directed at guys actually [not all of u, obviously]. iv noticed a lot less girls answer rate me questions, and if they do, its usually to express their frustration at the question.

guys however, still go ahead with the numbers.

have u ever thought of the fact that the reason 'rate me' questions aren't dying down is because they actually get responses? or have u ever thought that rather than rating people, u should just advise them to love themselves rather than seeking validation from strangers?

we should be sending a positive message to people who dont feel good about themselves, rather than reducing them to a figure. try it sometime.

Most Helpful Guy

• Personally, I tend to stay away from those questions. :P Not always though...

But I think that you're right, however I think it's important to do your best not to sugar-coat things for people too... people that may be in need of some self-improvement. The last thing anyone needs is a false sense of entitlement.

Sure the truth can sometimes sting a bit, but it's something a lot of people refuse to acknowledge and sometimes really need to hear. If it's something that they simply cannot help, chalk it up to personal differences or whatever. Not everyone can appeal to everybody, and that's OK. But if someone has potential to change or improve themselves for the better, I think it's important to (tactfully) encourage them to do so. After all, it's really probably in their best interest.

It's up to them to take advice and (constructive) criticisms they receive and find the motivation to better themselves and if they don't, quite frankly, it's not your problem. Some people are prideful or stuck in a bit of a rut, advice falls on deaf ears or they get offended, and then they continue to wonder why things don't ever change or improve...

• ofcourse, i think its totally wrong to present somebody with a lie just to appear nice.

totally agree with ur perspective. thanks=]

What Guys Said 27

• 1. I hate nothing and most certainly not the rate me questions
    2. We'd do a lot better not judging anyone for their 'rate me' questions
    3. There can be various reasons why someone asks those questions and I deem each of them genuine
    4. Initially I did rate very few questions, maybe 2 or 3 but then I couldn't bring myself to even ignore them. So what I do is explain a few things to the asker depending on how I perceive the question. My opinions are never intentionally judgmental
    5. There a few things that will keep happening in this world immaterial of whether there are responses or not and if the responses are outright rude or not and this is one of those questions i. e. 'rate me' :-)

• You're right, there's something faintly, unwholesome about the whole process. You tell the girl she is beautiful, and you mean it, and yet, she still doesn't believe it, nor appreciate it, cause like you say, she needs to love her self. So the guy doesn't get any kind of positive feedback for seeing anything nice in her, and she goes away still feeling miserable, or worse, turns into an ego maniac, who goes in the opposite direction, and thinks she's above the men who rated her.

Fuck, they are addictive though. It's like an episode of X factor, it's fundamentally ruinous to one's being, but bloody compelling viewing.

• Hmm. Well i c where ur coming from. I just think it doesn't always need to be that way if we dont encourage it. Like u said tho, to some its addictive

• "Rate me' questions aren't dying down is because they actually get responses" never thought about it like that, I think your right that if most every one quit answering rate me questions, their would be no reason for people to post them. I have seen people post rate me questions, than get mad when they don't get the answer their looking for. I think gag should get rid of rate me questions or at least have a section just for rate me questions, so the people who don't like rate me questions can just block that section.

• thanks for ur input. i dont know about having them banned but i think we could try to make a difference to people's lives by helping them boost their confidence rather than placing them on a scale.

• personally i never answer "rate me" questions as it seems ridiculous for a stranger to place a number on a random person based simply on a pic (or 2)
    and see it as if people NEED that reassurance, that "oh you're so handsome/pretty" then that is a sad thing but can be handled a lot better than on a website like this.
    and from what i witnessed, the majority of people who receive less than average numbers become rather hostile and angry

thus, it's fruitless,
    2 things come from it
    either an inflated ego
    or dashed self esteem

so, catbug stays quiet ^_^

• Haha, guilty... I do indeed not like them an I'll often tell the user they're not the most popular questions on GAG... but if the person asks it kindly I'll generally see if I can produce something positive.
    In the end, people asking that are often uncertain so a positive comment will generally do them good.
    A male is really mysterious, aren't we hahaha?

• thanks for ur honesty=]
      yes, u really are more complex than women give u 'credit' for.

• oh. well tbh if my makeup ever gets ruined, id rather someone actually tell me than go home and see how messed up i looked the entire night.
      in that sense, yes it would, if it hurts her that much.

• That was interesting to learn... I'll now read chapter 2 haha!

• I always mean what i say to girl i don't buffalo around
    i think some of these rate me questions are actually
    females whose left the site and came back with new usernames
    some of the pictures they use are fake and some of the
    questions are users who are transgenders, i saw one picture
    of girl claiming to be age 18-24 she has to be pushing easy
    40 -45 Years of age but it happens and i agree with you.

• I don't hate no one cause that's a strong word

• I dont mean hate the person, i meant hating the question.
      Ty for ur input

• @JustBanANNAz With these rate me questions
      we can only believe half of what we see here
      some is true while others i say are fakes
      i feel bad cause these people have low self
      esteem so they need reassure of what they
      look like , It hurts me deep inside to see a
      girl ask about her looks and or appearance
      No one knows the beauty i find in a girl
      i tell her the honest truth than she down votes me
      i don't hate no questions but we all have self
      esteem issues one or another that's way i see it
      i can tell you fake pictures for rate me stick out
      like a sore thumb but glad to give you my input
      remember i try my best in life and i feel like i am
      losing the battle in life seriously !!!

• I actually like them. It's nice to have a look at the average girl as compared to models and celebrities.

• and what do u make of average girls?

• Not all are average-looking. I meant it as a more realistic girl. The kind that still wants and tries to look good but doesn't take things so far that it makes her look fake. So, looking at girls who don't make themselves fake is more enjoyable.

• oh yeah i apologise, i would have made that connection if i wasn't bout to go to bed lol.
      thanks=]

• If rating people boosts their ego and confidence then that's cool with me.

Like if you was to post a rate me question, I'd give you an 8, but then I'd minus a 2 points for your holier-than-thou superiority complex as well as your high-horse syndrome.

• i didn't ask u to rate me, so ur prick like nature doesn't actually phase me.

• thats not sarcasm, thats implying that I'm some kinda stuck up.
      sarcasm is me saying ur joke is funny.

• Bless your cotton socks, you're so cute. <3

• I don't really do the rate questions I'll look at em but I rarely ever answer em. And when I do answer its never with a number.

• Tbh I always answer rate me questions.

This is what I do. If she's actually attractive, rate anywhere from 8-10
    if she's a 7, I lie and say she's an 8 to boost her confidence.
    If she's below a 7, I don't answer.

• I don't hate them, they just get annoying after a while because I feel the purpose of this site is greater than what they're using it for

• yeah i've asked 2 months ago or so what nationality do i look like LOL

• I don't hate them. I like the opportunity to peep at a good looking girl.

PS thanks for this question :P

• Actually I think in my mind about all the nice things I can say to her to make her feel good about her. But then "8/10" is just 4 buttons. Sorry, I'm lazy that way.

• well id argue that its easier to scroll down than press 4 buttons.

• Ha ha. I'm cool. I'm just saying however I'm annoyed by the huge load of "Rate me" questions, Some questions are just hard not to answer. :D. Now on, No ratings. Respect to you :P

• i understand=]

• It seems some of these girls that ask such cliche questions especially like the one that's mentioned. Majority of them need or scream for reassurance that they average or model attractive. I keep it short and i mainly intend to boost her self-esteem in honesty and if she's knows she's all that.. i simply smack the horse until she falls off that high horse.

• I like them. They are for fun. It doesn't really matter what a girl thinks about a guy as the guys persona will ultimately be his attractive anyway.

• Yeah, and if someone isn't posting "rate me" questions, they're posting questions complaining about them.

• Some people just need to feel reassured they are still attractive to the opposite sex. We have have those days, I don't feel the need to ask however I can see why some people would. We all get curious from time to time.

• I understand, buy do u think that our opinion is really going to cause a significant change in that person's mindset?

• Not for everyone but it may give people a different view on how others see them.

• I think the people who do that are usually upset or jealous at the positive responses other people receive and it makes them insecure, so they try one of their own and aren't always happy with the results.

No one wants to feel unattractive, and what better way to get brutal honesty than from strangers online?

Friends, family, and people you know will all tell you you look fine even if you don't lol

• I would argue that its not always brutal honesty. Men here have even said they will give a higher number to boost confidence. Others will even rate a gorgeous girl say, a 5, simply to make a point that she should get over herself.

• Yea there are, I confess I sometimes am overly nice when it comes to things like, since I don't like conflict and am afraid of hurting peoples feelings, but occasionally iv been completely blunt when my mood allowed for it.

• yeah lol i think we can all relate.

• I want to use each of those rating lines:

dunkeypedia. wikia. com/wiki/Dunkview

I won't find peace till I made each of them once

• Idk, Tbh i'm weak when it comes to girls, i'm sorry i just cave in and also get them Xper... hahaha:P

• I did them because I was paranoid with the way I looked and what people thought of me but now I don't mind what people think so sorry for asking rate me questions haha

• haha ok there's no need to apologise. my tone may have come off a little agro in my question.
      all I'm saying is that whenever u feel down about the way u look, take a look at urself in the mirror. think, ok, what dont i like? can it be fixed? how do i fix it? how long would it take? but most importantly... should i fix who i am on the inside before the outside?

the thing is, to be able to say, i can fix this, requires an open mind. u can't just be like 'agh i look so bad its impossible to change'. of course it will be, with a mindset like that. it all starts in ur head.

THIS is the message i aim to send.

• I think I just cried a little inside haha that has touched me hahaha I love your comment opinion :) this made me see everything in a whole new perspective

• aww haha im so glad to hear that :)

• Couldn't have said it better myself you read my mind. People just like to complain a lot

• indeed, but i am glad that some of the guys are manning up and admitting that they do it, so there's a lot of respect to the people who responded here.

• Yeah exactly when I ask a attention question I just admit it I like attention.

• I find it ironic that a hot girl has a problem with rate me questions lol

• LOL embarrassing, but anyway, iv never asked a rate me question, but i do have my insecurities. thing is, i wouldn't come here to make myself feel better, because even if 1000 000 people told me i looked good, and i didn't believe it, id think they were lying. sad, i know=/

• me? that wasn't me lol.

and thanks so much, ur too kind:)

• the down voter was probs just another hater;)

• I do hate them...3 points (or 2 now?)

• Never done it, never will. There's no point in doing it on a site like this. Don't know why people do, even people with boyfriends/girlfriends still do it, then they get upset when you tell them something they "don't want to hear", lol

• I DO tell them that, every time I see them from either sex. But it usually gets met with "you're a dick" or "just answer the question or don't answer at all" responses. Very few are met with actual understanding or at least a sense of humor. Hell I even asked a question about them last night lol

www.girlsaskguys.com/.../q1181375-did-the-am-i-hot-rate-me-clubs-let-out-at-the-same-time-just

What Girls Said 10

• I agree.

Though I sometimes answer these questions, it's only to boost the asker's confidence, give them suggestions on a hair-cut or something. I don't get the 1-10 scale thing, especially that in non professional photography, many people may look much less attractive than reality. I hope that one day people understand how inaccurate rating and random people's opinions can be.

• I've ignored them for the longest time.. now I just hand perfect 10s to everyone. Reason? Easy points.

• i think thats wrong tho. if u dont mean it, dont do it. people dont need ur lies.

• i knew that ages ago lol, yet u lied.
      quit trolling, ur not cool. makes u look unintelligent.

• 'we should be sending a positive message to people who dont feel good about themselves, rather than reducing them to a figure. try it sometime. '

hypocrisy much? clearly, you don't practise it yourself.

• Totally agree with you. I can't stand whiny attention whores. And I am also fairly certain that well over half of them are trolls and it's not their real pic

• Guys are guys
    they are draw in the hope of seeing a pretty face
    I do agree if there is no demand there is no supply.
    I just hope people know their opinions of themselves outweigh others. Nobody will always look attractive to everyone, impossible

• AMEN SISTER!

• I only answer them when i feel like it =)

• I Couldn't agree more!!

• You'll find some pretty egoistical, good-looking guys in those posts though.

• I'll check them if it's the younger crowd just so I can reassure the girl. I hate seeing young girls being so insecure about themselves. I hate it when it's older women though because they should be past that.

• Guys just want to see hot girls lol. They don't have issues with rate me questions as much as girls do. Now... If more hot guys posted rate mes... It would be a different story. It just so happens that the typical rate me is coming from an above average girl or an average/ below average guy. Having hotter guys post rate mes would annoy the guys on here :)

• well i would argue that guys won't always find them hot haha.
      ill also be brutally honest and say that even when pretty girls ask for rates, guys give them hell about it haha.