What's up with the new age indicators? Under18, 18-24, 25-34, Over 35?

What's up with the new age indicators?
Under18, 18-24, 25-34, Over 35?

I can see that the website's layout is fancy and new, but I'm surprised the 25-29 and 30-35 was merged, and the 36-45 was removed.

Does anyone know what's up and why that was done? There were some general rules that applied to posters of 25-29 which didn't for 30-35, so this makes it a bit trickier.

Oh, people who actually posted here, guess what! They returned the previous type of age indicators from 18-24, 25-29, 30-35, 36-45, Over 45! :D YAY! REJOICE PARTY WOOOOOOOOOOO
... and it's back, I don't think GAG knows what they are doing anymore

Most Helpful Girl

• I don't mind my own category, but using one that is over 35 as the oldest SUCKS.

It makes users on here think that anyone over 35 is an old fuck, like 35 is such an old age you can just merge that with a 70-something. We need to bitch about it some, so admins would return the old categories.

Most Helpful Guy

• It makes going anonymous a little easier for people that used to be in the 30-35 group, but I very rarely go anon so it's not of much consequence to me personally.

What were the differentiating rules, Meson? :-)

• 25-29 male people were more likely to be bitter, while female 25-29 used to be more mature than the 18-24 group. 30-35 was either desperate or mature/refined. The 36-45 group and above were more likely to be supporters of gender roles and traditionalism. But I have seen quite some inspiring posts from the over 45 group too, they have lived quite a long time after all. But usually 25-29 was the black sheep :P

• I hear ya, man. I don't blame ya! When I was your age (see, here's a moment where I could feel old if I wanted to! LOL) I felt the same way. "Thirties? Those are for old middle-aged boring adults!!!"

The comic was awesome, by the way. I have Batman playing on Netflix, so how appropriate was that? Hahaha

• Uncanny coincidence - or not? :P
      Yeah, I think that comic is really descriptive of the experience.

What Girls Said 15

• I think new age indicators are not enough. 25 old is different than 33 old. Also just saying over 35 means nothing. It can be 37, or 56? They should put more indicators.

• It means I'm in the oldest category on gag even though I just turned 35 less than a month ago. It kind of depresses the daylights out of me. I may have to set up a new account and lie about my age lol!

• It seems strange to me. I just turned 25 and I'm not sure that the average 34 year old shares the majority of the kinds of problems I'm dealing with. 25-29 makes more sense in my opinion. I also find it strange and unsettling that everyone over 35 is just "too old" to bother grouping or something? And, yes, I put too old in quotes because it seems ridiculous to me.

• Makes it harder to figure out who older anons are since their age groups are smaller

• Yeah, I don't get that. It's stupid to me. If I were in that age group it'd make me feel super old even though 35 is not old.

• I prefer it, makes it less obvious I'm so old! Ha!

• no matter what u are still younger, i am the last category , oldest :D

• yeah,surprised would be the word

• My assumption is inclined to think that the people in charge of the site want it to appear more "YOUNG"? more "Hip"? rather than a place where there's a lot of "OLD"er people, instead looked at, like a place where there's a bunch of "YOUNG" people... to attract and keep more people here.

... That's basically what I'm inclined to think looking at the changes.

• Yeah... I was thinking that... isn't it just going to make over 35s feel really old?

• Now I can pretend I'm 34 😈😝😛

• i dont like the new changes tbh

• I just noticed me. Don't really care either way

• It's so we won't know if the dude, telling a 16 year old he would totally fuck her, is 35 or 56.

• It's still creepy if a 35 yo tell a 16 yo girl the truth. Sure he would love to, like the 16 yo, 20 yo and 60 yo, but telling is her wrong nonetheless.

• "More wrong"? I've never heard Alex Trebek take away more money from a contestant because they were more wrong.

• That's not the same. Fact is, the older you get, the more disgusting it gets if you hit on a very young girl. If a 25 year old hits on a 16 year old, it's kinda fine. But if a 76 year old does it, it's utterly disgusting. Do you have absolutely no social intelligence?

• Yeah, I wish they at least had the 25-29 and 30-35 still there.

What Guys Said 13

• yeah the age groups are:

under 18
    18-24
    25-34
    over 35

though i believe is wrong because there are many people who are over 35 here, and it makes it a little confusing, because a person might be 35 yo or 65 yo :-P

i believe it'd be better to bring back the 36 to 45 again or even add also another one group 46 to 55. ;-)

• I agree man. I bet they will change this eventually.

• Oh they use to actually say the exact age in the profile along with the state and even city if you wanted to share it.

• It's a really poor idea, and not just because I'm 35 in a month!

A lot of the older people are also the most helpful because - no surprise here - they have a lot more life experience. Getting rid of or discouraging that is just going to result in this place becoming BlindleadingBlind.

PS: Calling older people 'creepy' is not productive.

• I'm pretty sure they meant that 35+ dating 17~ people is "creepy", and to be fair, it's true - they could be their father at that age, lol. Just because someone is 35+ it doesn't automatically make them creepy. :P

• A 60 year old dating a 40 year old doesn't strike me as creepy, though they are 'old enough to be their parent'.

A 20 year old dating a 14 year old could not be their parent... but... is still wrong.

• @kheserthorpe I think the weird stuff is 17 vs 28 and the like. But 20 vs 14 is weird too. should be at least 16.

• I've no idea. I think administration got together and thought it a good idea. It's definitely confusing. 25 and 34 are very different times in your life. Doubt many will have as much in common

• Gonna get my name changed to Methuselah.

• whats the differents in rules between 25-29 20-35

• 25-29 tends to be more bitter and 30-35 tends to be more desperate. While I usually am not a fan of generalizations, that's just how it tends to be around here. 25-29 is all the MGTOW and anti-feminist and "all women are bitches" group, ya know?

• So guys like me aren't grouped with people 10 years older than me so im not labeled ancient

• I am now a possible middle age man. Now sure how I feel about this.

• I don't like it, it makes me feel "older" :((

• Over 35 makes it sound like it's the end of the world for 35 year olds. XD

• Wow, people here don't have very much to worry about...

• I think people just choose to worry about whatever bothers them at a given moment.

• Old wine in new bottles.

• I think they got rid of over 45 too

• It's to indicate the college and young professional demographics clearly. There are very few people in the previous older person categories so it's less work to track for the system, probably, to just consolidate them to begin with and free up the code.

• ... uhh, I am pretty sure adding new categories shouldn't take more than a few lines. It's just mapping a number to a set of ranges, after all.

• ... What? Are you saying... That there are thousands of tiny clocks? Because I don't think that's how it works.

• They just store the date and calculate the number based on that.