Now that G@G has more bells and whistles, what is your Take?

Tonight's #GAGExpertChat is going to be a little different.
I want to chat about our new features: myTakes, gagTakes, the new layout, the new age brackets, Site Feed, My Feed, etc.

While you guys have been great, as always, about giving us quick and constructive feedback, here is another chance for you to ask about what's new and share your own opinions.

I'll start...
What do you think of myTakes so far?

Is it a feature you think you'll use often, either reading or writing?

Those are MY questions to kick us off, share your opinion on that and ask me your own questions here... I'm happy to help!

Most Helpful Girl

• I love the myTakes feature, as I have already written two. I think it's great way for people to discuss various topics without having to ask actual questions. I have enjoyed reading other peoples' takes as well. It's quite interesting and definitely an improvement from the way articles were previously set up.

I like the new layout because I think it looks a lot more modern and easy to navigate, that being said, I do not like the way the My Feed is now set up. Of course, I have already told you this but I'll just write it out here also. I don't like that everything is lumped together now. I liked begin able to filter My Feed the way I wanted. Such as users I follow, topics I follow, articles I follow, etc.

I liked being able to specifically filter it by the users I follow because really, those are the only people who's activity I am interested in seeing. When this new change was implemented, I had to unfollow a lot of questions and topics because I didn't like that it was just all together in the My Feed and I only wanted to see the activity from the users I'm following so I hope that's something the admins would consider changing (or reversing rather).

I think that's about it. Sorry, I don't really have any questions for you :P

• I agree I like the ways you can filter stuff I feel you can customize your G@G experience.

• I have a concentration in beverage so I figured I'd transfer one of my articles from tumblr

• Thanks for MH :)

What Guys Said 42

• hmm. . . interesting, Is that so? I understand. I've been expecting you. (So sparrow = expert now?) [don't read this part]

First of all I just want to say that I'm DooMguy. . . I wanted to make that clear, some people might not know that

Secondly the GaG shirt. . . it ships to USA and Canada only. Why sparrow, why ! ? I really want that shirt ! You have powers right? Can't you do something? Please Sparrow, I'll do anything for that shirt. I'd pay 3000 points for it ! I'd even slam my head against a wall. It just makes me sad. . . looking at the shirt and then looking at my points, it's kind of like forbidden love. I really want love (A. K. A. the shirt) but I can't have love (the shirt). Get my point?

Finally the takes. Sometimes I'll go and read the takes but I don't think I'll ever write one. I'm not sure what kind of topics are allowed, I'm tempted to write one but most of it will just be swearing. . . that's all I got

Not sure what else to write about now. . . I watched Terminator 2 today, things exploded and guns fired. Also vehicles got destroyed. hasta la vista baby

• Well, I've always been an Expert on G@G just because I'm admin, haha!

I can see that you do really want that shirt, wow! We'll see what we can do :-)

What do you think of the other changes... Feeds and age ranges, etc?

• That's a good point, Sparrow is the big boss lady

You got that right. I'd love to get my hands on that shirt, It would mean a lot to me

Well the age range change. . . I'm indifferent about that, I don't really pay attention the age unless they're under 18 . . . Honestly I'm not a pedo, it's just that I feel awkward when it comes to the under 18's so I avoid them most of the time, the new changes make it easier to do that (more filter options would be nice, tick box maybe)

I like the "my feed", it's a quick way to check up on my followers, I care about my followers so I just give them a quick look to make sure they're still alive

Also the new follow button for questions and takes/articles is a big improvement

• 1. Look is as usual good :-)
    2. Age brackets are cool though instead of above 45 it's now above 35 - any reason that can be spelt out as to why this change?
    3. 'My feed', I sure miss the way it could be filtered earlier. I was hoping that GAG may add in the filter to see activity of those who are following too apart from those that are being followed but the whole thing has reverted back to only by topics being followed I guess :-

4. All questions are seen in 'blue' while earlier girls used to be pink and guys were blue - the earlier one was better off and easier on the eye as well as convenient
    5. 'Takes' seems to be good though it's not settled into me yet - I probably just always need more time to warm up to anything I guess lol :-D Guess I'll look up your 'Takes' boss girl :-D
    6. Like many people here I'd love a search option by User Name too ;-)

• I really like the age brackets. I had a paranoia that even if I went Anon, people knew it was me since there were so few in my brackets. And I would really hate being in the 'over 45' category when that comes up in February .

I like the takes, and the site is a lot better on mobile.

The opinion comments always being blue is the only thing that kinda bugs me... but that's minor

• The comments background shouldn't be blue, it should only be blue when it's new and from a guy, otherwise it should be gray. You always see it as blue?

• Yes. The highest rated take would be near the top of popularity.

• That's a cool idea, I like that... thanks yadda!

• I've got no complaints about the new update aside from what Yadda said about the opinions showing up in blue.

Im kinda indifferent about the age range update, it didn't really affect me :)

Takes seem like a nice addition. I'm not sure I'll actually write one (too lazy) but Ill probably read some if they looks interesting. I'm not sure how much people will actually utilize the feature but it's one of those things that's nice to have the option for.

Curious, what are you planning for the next update?

Or are you sworn to secrecy :)

• I shall be fed to wolves if I tell :-P

Nah, right now, we're actually putting together everyone's feedback to determine what our next move should be.

• Oh shit you're right! That little arrow at the bottom. I never even tried to adjust it before, I just figured it was stuck at that size.

Yeah just disregard that last suggestion. lol

Thanks

• Hahaha, glad I could help though!

• What was the point of MyTakes? a lot of people are not using it, sounds like an update of "Polls" and also the new age brackets, they benefits the older but seriously puts the younger at a disadvantage. going from 4-5yr difference to 9-10 is a huge leap.. A lot of things happen between that time... I wouldn't agree with having specific ages being posted out because it does affect the opinion of others and the posts can be judged instead of given real advice. as for the over 35, its a little too soon, over 45 or 50 should just have theirs posted, I mean, it gathers more respect and their words are taken more seriously. The old age ranges we had before (4-5yrs)... were just fine.

• You've been here since 2010, you remember when we had Stories and Articles... myTakes and gagTakes are just an updated version of that feature which wasn't available for most of this year.

• No, it doesn't have anything to do with servers, changes like that are always made with the community in mind. That's why you see me here asking about what others would make the ranges, because we want to know what's important to you guys and why it matters. You know?

• As someone who understands both sides of the spectrum (user and server side), I understand what you mean, If its not server side then here is my take. I and a few other GaG'ers don't like the change. again, because it benefits the older. No one is against how it was before... but how it is now, is just too large of a category. my number placement being right. I was categorized in my mid to late 20's.. now someone can think I'm in my mid 30's and I'm not. again, it can change perspectives on how opinions are received or responded to.

• Yes, I'll use My Takes pretty often. I used to write an article every couple of months...
    The age range is good, since there are so few over 35, there's no reason to have additional splits over that age. And to the average teenager here, anyone over 25 is a grandpa, anyway!

• The new layout is nice. The new follow button stands out more than the last. The only thing I don't like is the age bracket thing. It just seems so broad and stopping at 35 seems young. I would like to be able to quickly differentiate a 35 year olds opinion from a 50 year olds. Regarding people concerned they may lose their anomity due to being in an uncommon bracket, anonymous posts could get rid of showing age entirely or the brackets could become more broad when anonymous.

My takes seems interesting but I personally don't have much interest in it. I guess it's interesting to see different perspectives though.

• Nice feedback!!
      What would you make the age ranges?

• I liked how the old ones were spaced apart by like 5 or 6 years. I think they were fine how they were. A higher bracket than 45 could be added but I don't know if there are enough people that age on here to really justify it.

You could also add a hide age option for anonymous posts since some people may find it fun to hint at their age while anon.

• Hiding it is something someone else brought up too, that's interesting.

• I would prefer it if opinions were listed in the order of time sent/received. Regardless of who sent it.
    This separating the genders seems so pointless.
    It reminds me of a grade 6 school dance. The boys stand on one side of the gym. The girls on the other. And never the 2 shall meet.

Are "Takes" the new and improved name change for "Articles"? If it isn't, when can we submit articles again?
    As far as takes go. I don't have a clue as to what they are or how they work. I've read the FAQ and the write up 8 or 9 times. And the purpose still makes no sense to me. As well, I get the impression that takes are written in regards to a particular ongoing question. (I never said I'm the sharpest knife in the drawer). Don't worry about explaining it. I figure I'll never have a need to use it anyway.

I'm not a fan of the new site over all. And I wasn't a fan of the last version. It seems that the upgrades are accomplishing one thing, It's making the site more difficult to use.

:-)

• myTake is like what we used to call Stories, gagTake is like what we used to call Articles. So yes, the Story/Article feature is back, updated and given a new name.

What about the site is more difficult to use?

• Right right, and if they're asking for sex tips or if the question is pretty explicit, we will remove that anyway (we encourage you guys to report them so we can catch them quicker).

• In all honesty, I haven't looked at any of the new/improved features (with the exception of takes) with this new version. As all I do is answer questions and ask one every now and again. So a lot of the changes won't affect me. I learned with the last version that for what I do. I don't need all the lipstick and mascara.
      But when the last upgrade went through, months ago. It took me quite a while to figure out how to navigate through it. And the number of question categories was ridiculous. But you did weed that down. When I started in January there were 8? Maybe 6? Categories for questions. I thought that was perfect.

Sometimes simpler is better.

• Why did the chicken refuse to eat the nuggets? Simply logical that the chicken will not eat the nuggets because it might be its very own child that has been processed by either MCDONALDS or KFC Fried Chicken wich are probably the chicken's biggest enemy as thounsands of her brothers and sisters are killed every day. In other words, I like the new site layout.

cdn.toonvectors.com/.../toonvectors-80021-940.jpg

• Have you been reading myTakes?

• Nope every since my inspirational quote in myTakes was removed I didn't bother looking at others. I stick to questions, why?
      Oh and by the way the chicken was not really yellow but white.

• I was just wondering how many people are checking out the myTakes our G@Gers are writing... there have been some great ones.

• The entire site needs editing capability. Too often (twice for me) I have posted something which I later would not have. Once it's out there it cannot be deleted or edited. That is a flaw.
    I could not see that a URL I used actually had my name and identity attached. This was not seen when posting. It was after I posted the opinion that I saw the URL with my name in it.

Can this be made to edit/delete after posting?
    Thanks

• I'm looking for inspiration to write a good MyTake one day... I won't force anything, the "mayonnaise" under my skull will eventually do the job.
    About the MyFeed: I'm using it to filter for the questions from people I follow only. In my opinion the idea of "following subjects" is not interesting. And I miss the subjects that have been removed during the previous update. They brought about interesting questions and more variety on the site.

• I like everything except that ad because it is somewhat explicit and people around me thinks that I'm watching p*rn (eagerly waiting to become lv7 to get rid of this).
    http://i59.tinypic.com/2n9x2sy.png
    Takes are good experiment but it requires a lot of experience.

• True that image kinda sends the wrong message

• Well I tried Adblock for chrome & it works like a charm (I don't know whether its free for lifetime or not). Thanks!
      @Jerusha - I select you as my MHO.

• You're welcome ^.^

• personally i believe the age groups must be fixed. i believe it would be better if our age was mentioned instead of the age group

• I did my one take but I do not think most people gonna venture to read them. Questions are easier and emphasize what you thinking on the spot. It is just me, but some of those takes are too long. Also there should be censored Takes and Uncensored Takes, we have an audience under 18, not saying age 16-18 is not okay to read censored Takes but those under 16 should not.

• I like every thing except less options when filtering, makes stalking harder @chocolateismylover and not to happy about the new age ranges, makes me feel old. Other than those two things I have no problem with the recent update

• Like all the updates, I've gotten used to it. I've only checked out like 3 myTakes, they're pretty cool but not sure if they're my thing. Might post one in the future though. I like how the notifications bar is black now, wasn't expecting that haha

• Is there a change you wanted to see that didn't happen?

• Cool, thanks! :-)

• I like the layout but I'm not a fan of gag or my takes. I think its pretty old fashioned.

what I really need to suggest is that gag should have a chat option which it had in the past :'(

• Old-fashioned in what way? Look, functionality, concept, etc?

• You guys can also introduce live voice chats. Where people record a message and send. The one that WhatsApp has.

• Yeah, that's nice.

• Another way for me to happily waste my life on this site! :D

• So you find myTakes useful and enjoyable?

• I like it. I want to write a mytake not sure what to do it on though.

• What do you read about the most, regarding myTakes?

• Not yet.

• I honestly don't think I will ever use mytakes...

• Nothing to say?

• Ok, THAT makes more sense lol

• (^_^)

• I like the myTakes and i plan on posting some soon maybe this Thanksgiving break but who knows

• MyTakes are good, but its an opinion, not a question. Some cause static.

• Meaning you have nothing to say about them?

• Ahh, I see, that makes sense.
      Would you ever write one?

• if I got one most possibly. maybe later today

• So the storm is coming now. How do you feel?

• Only thing I wish is that they let you chose a age group when searching for a question to answer

• I may use it at some point. if i feel i have something i want to say

• Do you read them?

• Cool. may be awhile, but i think i could use it for feedback!

• Absolutely, feedback and ideas!

• I don't like myTakes

• Why not? Is there something to it that you'd like us to modify and improve?

• So you want something like Facebook has then?

• Not all same, but yes. Lets develop our chatting system.

• Take? Its Ok.

I'd like for G@G to add a photo gallery section for photos to members profiles. I like photos!

static.comicvine.com/.../848993-2.gif

• Could i have your opinion that what's the purpose of design which behind the difference of myTakes and question in the first place?

• The difference between myTakes and Questions is explained in our FAQ and in the gagTake explained... myTakes are tips or stories, Questions ask something from our members.

• Questions are questions, myTakes can be stories or advice.

• well, it's just me feel they're functionally overlaped. plus not everyone equipping the right thing in their head, instead of lumps of article wasteland, it's better to eclectically boost the quality and narrow the quantity. just my opinion.

• It's like reinventing the wheel, seriously

• I'm used to the old GAG. Still getting used to the new GAG...

• More from Guys
    12

What Girls Said 13

• I like that we can submit articles (takes) again. I have one nearly ready to send in and it should be ready tomorrow. I just hope people read it!

I think the age ranges are a bit broad now, especially the 25-34 one. I would maybe split that one again, or just bring back the old age ranges. I know some users have been concerned with their identity being obvious based on their age range while anonymous, so is there a way to hide the ages of anon users? If their age is relevant to the question they will just have to mention it themselves.

• What did you think of the days when we showed everyone's exact age?

• I never had a problem with that, and I'm pretty sure that you didn't have to display your age to the public either. Knowing people's exact age isn't important to me - the age range thing is fine because you get an idea of their age group.

• Right, I hear you.
      Cool, thanks!

• I think the displaying of age should be optional.
    It should only be able to be seen if you are visiting that persons profile.

The 25-34 seems like a large jump (9 years difference)
    Those age groups are very different.
    25-30 seems more reasonable.

• Everything is great, except the age brackets! I liked how they were before. Now it's a little too vague.

Since some of the "Over 35"'s like their age bracket, then leave that one alone, but make the rest a little more specific. Like;
    (Under 18)
    (18-24)
    (25-29)
    (30-35)
    (Over 35)

• Do you pay much attention to ages when you're asking and sharing?

• Yeah, makes sense!
      That's great, thanks so much!

• Over 35 lumps me in with 50 yr olds and Thats not right

• I don't really like the age brackets. I liked how it better before. I think it should be under 18, 18-24, 25-30, 31-35, 36-40, 41-45, 46- 50, 50+ I think that the age brackets should be smaller.

• Great suggestions, thank you... that's what we need!
      You wouldn't separate any of the under 18 range?

• I would leave the under 18 in same group. They all minors. I would like smaller. Age ranges because you can usually relate to people who are closer to your age. Also many times older gagers have more life experience and knowledge so it's good to know the age range. You can't compare a 35 and 55 year old. They in different parts of life.

• Makes perfect sense, great feedback.. thank you!

• I like the idea of my takes. It makes easier to put ideas. Articles seemed to me more formal for some reasons.
    I agree with others, age brackets are not enough.
    25 years old is different than 33 years old. Same goes for 34 years and 56 years old.
    They need to be differentiated more.
    Under 18)
    (18-24)
    (25-29)
    (30-35)
    (35-45)
    (over 45)
    For anonymous post, hiding age bracket can be implemented because this is what anonymous for.

• I like the GaGtakes mostly because they filter the rants from the questions. I haven't responded to many of them yet, but the ones I checked out are pretty interesting.

• Only thing I don't like is the changed age brackets.. A lot can happen in the age group of 25-34... I liked the specificness of the other at least you knew roughly what age was answering your question.. But other than that I like it..

• Would you like to know exact ages?

• It would be cool I personally wouldn't care if someone saw I was 27 but others might... I liked the age bracket I just think the 25-34 is to broad of age range maybe split it since other of 35 and older like it so like 25-29 then 30-34 maybe

• Right, I hear you.
      Thanks :-)

• I just got the bell.
    No whistle included.
    :(

• Haha :-P
      How do you like the new changes?

• I'm getting used to it.
      I miss the dynamics of the old live feed thouigh.
      Now when I click on recent I get the same old post all day.

• Old dynamics, the filters?

• I think we should be able to rate my takes

• Oh, I LOVE MyTakes! I'm gonna be writing about lots of different topics and posts!

• I haven't used it or read it yet, but I think it's a gret idea

• layout: i hate that the 'opinion posted' banner completely covers the post, questions, takes drop down menus for 10 seconds because i have to just sit there and wait to continue browsing the site. i also wish that if a member who isn't anonymous on their question has blocked me the reply box is greyed out so i can't even start an opinion to them and waste my time typing something out. besides that everythings pretty great

• If you click on that orange banner, it'll go away immediately... you don't have to wait :-)

• nope :S ill redownload chrome and see if that helps as the problems on my end, it works on firefox just tested it so ill use that instead :)

• That's very strange!

• I think for the Under 18s we should have two age brackets, 13-15 and 16-17.
    Because when an Under 18 asks a sexual question everyone says "uck, you're like 12!" When they are usually 17.

Then after that they should be as they were. :)

• That's a very good point, I've noticed that too!
      What do you think of the other ranges? Too broad, too young or old, etc?

• Yeah. Over 45 is good.
      We could do 35-45, then 46-55, but I don't think we have many people who are 46-55 or older

• Right... cool, thanks so much :-)